Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:26:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689822
  • Total Topics: 118300
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A rather large steam tank.  (Read 14881 times)

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
A rather large steam tank.
« on: November 29, 2008, 11:13:19 AM »

Way back in the mists of time (about a year ago) I bought a 'Malcador' tank from Games Workshop’s Forge World for more money than I'd willingly admit. It then sat for months on my shelf in a half-built state, the crowning glory of my 'in the works' pile (which encompasses much of my room).
However, 3 weeks ago I picked it off its perch and began work upon it. How times change.
I added a funnel, scrapped off all the imperial Eagles and painted it blue, as one does. Having recently finished the crew, I decided I’d share it with you all.

Thus, I give you the HMLS 'Thunder Child':

Front view:

Top view:

A rather dark view:

The crew (Old GW basilisk crew):

Crew comparison (remember, they're 28mm):

Comparison with an Ironclad miniatures tank, and a eureka (?) tank:

The guns all move and the smoke/flags are removable. Whole thing took around 6 hours to paint (including crew).

I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
Re: A rather large steam tank.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 11:21:30 AM »
That is one big beastie. I like the blue colour - it works perfectly with the red and white markings. The end result looks so much better when taken out of its GW context.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 02:10:39 PM »
 8)

Yep, all that what Bullshott said. Great job.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 02:18:42 PM »
Yes, it is a splendid model and the blue is very pleasing. Makes a very nice change from the usual greys etc and looks very VSF :)

The crew look very similar to WWII Germans to me, though  ???

Maybe you could get some crew figures in more recognizably British uniform - redcoats with blue facings would look nice for a RE landship, or maybe some sailors for a RN version?

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 02:51:10 PM »
Very Good to see the old thing off your shelf old boy!

Blue really is your colour you know.

Good Job!

Mr.Marx

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 03:51:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies chaps. I went with the blue as I needed something to distinguish my British contraptions from my German ones. However, I have created a new problem, as I still need a colour for the French...

Maybe you could get some crew figures in more recognizably British uniform - redcoats with blue facings would look nice for a RE landship, or maybe some sailors for a RN version?

I am aware of the German-esq crew, however, I took my inspiration to use these models from this extract from H.G.Well's 'The Land Ironclads' (last paragraph):

"And he was much too good a journalist to spoil his contrast by remarking that the half-dozen comparatively slender young men in blue pyjamas who were standing about their victorious land ironclad, drinking coffee and eating biscuits, had also in their eyes and carriage something not altogether degraded below the level of a man."

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 06:02:30 PM »

Since the Royal Artillery wear blue (well, except for Thunderchicken's men), I don't have a problem with blue uniforms as such. These uniforms look like overalls anyway (to avoid getting grease and soot on their dress uniforms) , so could well be a different colour from standard British dark blue.

Maybe to confirm their Britishness the figures' caps could be repainted as standard army Glengarry caps - paint dark blue with a red and white chequer round the bottom.

Offline Trencher

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 06:03:44 PM »
Excellent, Sir!  8) 8) 8)

Way back in the mists of time (about a year ago) I bought a 'Malcador' tank from Games Workshop’s Forge World for more money than I'd willingly admit.

Just to add insult to injury: You could've taken a 1/35 Mk. IV by Emhar as well. I've seen comparison shots of a Mk. IV together with a Malcador. They have almost the same size. However the Mk. IV comes at 1/3 of the price-tag of a Malcador. And it has to be a little bit revised to work with 28mm. But then, the "Tadpole" variant can't be beaten in terms of brutish size and conversion potential for VSF. You've beaten me to it - thank you!!!  ;D o_o lol lol lol
TANK POLO? God, how our gardener hated that game!

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 06:25:36 PM »
Maybe to confirm their Britishness the figures' caps could be repainted as standard army Glengarry caps - paint dark blue with a red and white chequer round the bottom.

Ah! I never thought of that! I may consider it, thankee.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 08:58:01 PM »

Since the Royal Artillery wear blue (well, except for Thunderchicken's men), I don't have a problem with blue uniforms as such. These uniforms look like overalls anyway (to avoid getting grease and soot on their dress uniforms) , so could well be a different colour from standard British dark blue.

Quite so! No criticism intended, it was just the cut of the uniform that reminded me of WWII Germans. Blame GW for that. I have lots of British VSF/Darkest Africa troops in blue - as there was plenty of historical precedent.

As an ex - Sapper, my natural preference is for VSF vehicle crews to be Royal Engineers. Again there is the precedent of the early tanks being RE. I agree stokers, mechanics etc would have to be in blue or black overalls to save the red coats from getting ruined. After all, Wells described them thus, so how can I argue with him? ;)

When I finally get around to building my own Top Secret landship project - ok, it's a 1/35 Russian interwar plastic tank kit that will be "re-scaled" to fit 28mm. T28, IIRC, but as it's been in it's box in the loft for 6 years I can't quite remember  lol

Whatever, I hope we will see the Thunderchild in action soon, to provide people like me with more inspiration  :)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 09:04:01 PM »
Not sure about the blue uniforms - look a littler bit reminiscent of military hospital blues.
The caps do make them look very German though.

The tank looks good in blue, perhaps you could go with green for your French ?
I vaguely recall French artillery having green painted carriages ?

My only reservation on the tank would be the turret. Early British turrets always seem to have been small or equipped with a small poor quality gun, not something big and effective.

I would second the recomendation for the Emhar 1/35 Tadpole tailed tank.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 10:21:42 PM »

[/quote]

Since the Royal Artillery wear blue (well, except for Thunderchicken's men),
[/quote]

I like to be different.

That is one mean beastie, nice work. Would be interesting to see it up against Bullshott's steam spider.

Malamute and I generally use blue for our British armour, it seems to work well.

I'll go with Fastolfrus with green for the French armour. I'm just about to start putting a French VSF force together and I'll be using green for the armour, just haven't decided on the shade yet.
Don't!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 10:25:57 PM »
I don't think the caps make them look German. The Brits had caps just like that, too. Rather they make them look like they're from the 1930s/40s.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 11:09:40 PM »
I don't think the caps make them look German. The Brits had caps just like that, too. Rather they make them look like they're from the 1930s/40s.

Sorry, I should clarify the earlier comment. I think the caps in that colour scheme don't look British.
I tend to associate British crews with a shapeless baggy oil-covered boiler suit and a beret. Although for VSF I tend to opt for naval rig.

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 11:12:15 PM »
Pfft, everyone's a critic... ::)

Thanks for all the responses guys.
I think I'll use green for my French when I get around to it, thanks fastolfrus & Co.

On the subject of the hats/uniforms/turret/armament (delete as applicable), I'm using the fact that it's a fictional tank, set in an alternate history, is powered by steam and fights (amongst other things) German steam robots as an answer to all peoples doubts and points on the matter... ;)