Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:20:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A rather large steam tank.  (Read 14883 times)

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: A rather large steam tank.
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 12:01:01 AM »
My only criticism is that I would make it the HMS Thunderchild. Other that that, it looks awesome!

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 02:46:54 AM »
My only criticism is that I would make it the HMS Thunderchild. Other that that, it looks awesome!

Thanks!
I was going to give it HMLS (Her Majesties Land Ship) but ran out of room! On the other side (not pictured) are the initials 'RNLS' for 'Royal Naval Land Service', which I paint on all my British tanks. Rest assured it is in fact the 'HMLS Thunder Child'.

On a slightly different note, 'Thunder Child' is two words. It is in 'The War of the Worlds', and it is here. Allot of people are ignorant of this fact, and continue to refer to it as the 'Thunderchild', with even internet search engines trying to correct it. 'Thunderchild' is one of my pet hates, along with smoking and the state of Prussia (damn those Prussians and their dastardly deeds!*).

*No offence is intended towards any Prussians, living or dead.
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 10:05:43 AM »
I'll go with Fastolfrus with green for the French armour. I'm just about to start putting a French VSF force together and I'll be using green for the armour, just haven't decided on the shade yet.

The French artillery used an "olive green" shade mixed IIRC by adding a small amount of black to ochre. This may look too "modern" as it would be a decent camouflage colour, but is a very attractive shade of green.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 10:28:20 AM »
a fictional tank, set in an alternate history

But I thought Wells and Verne were eye-witness narratives.... :~}

No offence meant by earlier comments, just trying to be honest.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 12:17:39 PM »
On a slightly different note, 'Thunder Child' is two words. It is in 'The War of the Worlds', and it is here. Allot of people are ignorant of this fact, and continue to refer to it as the 'Thunderchild'.....

Whatever, I hope we will see the Thunderchild in action soon, to provide people like me with more inspiration  :)

Whoops! That's me then, "Mr Ignoramus"  lol

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 10:36:58 AM »
Nice to see the British get something gutsy like this. I think I'll need a couple to repel the Martian invasion soon by the look of my opponents current arms stockpile. I too was looking at forgeworld stuff, though I have to say I prefer the turretless models which remind me more of the first tanks we saw in WW1. Such as the thunderer:

Or maybe the medusa:

Or maybe the atlas recovery tank would be a nice one for towing those large artillery pieces up the line:

In fact, now that they have reduced their prices by 2.5% maybe I can afford their Imperial Fortress.

Or maybe not. Hey, could we all do a timeshare?

I ramble... but point is nice tank. Now I want to see what stats you give it on the table. Looks like it would win a car parking spot over the other two though..

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 06:51:59 PM »
I'll go with Fastolfrus with green for the French armour. I'm just about to start putting a French VSF force together and I'll be using green for the armour, just haven't decided on the shade yet.

The French artillery used an "olive green" shade mixed IIRC by adding a small amount of black to ochre. This may look too "modern" as it would be a decent camouflage colour, but is a very attractive shade of green.

You're right, that is a nice shade of green. Thanks for that.

It clashes with that yellow jumper though!
Don't!

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 08:17:10 PM »
Now I want to see what stats you give it on the table.

I have yet to choose a system for my VSF games. I looked at Gaslight, but there were numerous things I disliked about the system. I think I'm eventually going to go with a heavily converted Warhammer 40k, as for all it's problems I do enjoy it.
And on the subject of the Imperial Fortress; surely you could knock something similar up out of foamboard?

Now you mention it, it does clash with the jumper...

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 10:07:12 PM »
You coudld try the Space 1889 rules.
thats what we use in my club
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 02:07:30 AM »
Do definitely like that Wells ironclad reference. Does make for a suiting name though. My only peeve is that the thing's too clean. Wear, tear and dust are essentials for armor, me thinks.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline XCIV

• Scientist
    • Victoria's Boys in Red
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2009, 10:15:58 PM »
ONe thing that I have always liked about GW's armor for VSF purposes is that they make them very rivet-ty. Once you've gotten all the eagles (not necessary if its a German vehicle, actually), skulls, spikes, etc., off, they do come out looking rather nice.

Big, chunky, and covered in rivets. Just add steam power and WHAM! - you've got VSF.
J

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- Winston Churchill
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline nickinsomerset

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 06:39:45 AM »
Chaps,

a simple solution would be to paint the "chip bag" hat in the colours of the Royal Artillery. Blues sides with red piping and a red top, also red stripes on the trousers.

Nick

Offline chantyam

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 11:50:47 AM »
42 thats a nice bit of kit and yes once you get past the skulls and spikes GW stuff has potential, nice touch with the blue and yes the Glengarry type hats could be done in a darker shale of blue or black as for the rest of the crews uniform if I was starting from scratch (I know I have few un-used figures of this type about) perhaps file down one side of the lapels and green stuff the remaining lapel a little larger a bit like the early WWI fight suits with the suit "open" at the neck. I ended up starting out with green and black for my tanks (if anyone asks its from the fact that the steam trains of the Great North Easten Railway were in green that and Gordon and Percy from "Thomas the Tank Engine" are green and black  ;) the only problem is finding a shale to match the old (few years at least) GW goblin green spraycan I used, any suggestions ? 
gan canny kidder!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 12:28:30 PM »
Ooo, what a good idea, I've plenty of 40K tanks (none of the Forge World ones, can't really afford it) but never thought of doing a VSF number on them.

The new double barrelled offering from FW and the lasery zapp gun would be great candidates

To my mind they don't fit with the idea of Guard at all, but a quick coat of blue paint and you're ready to go  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 01:09:28 PM »
Love the double gun mount, but where would you fit the steam engine ?

Or the ammunition ?

Or the crew ?