Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:42:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Survivors - BBC new series.  (Read 7949 times)

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Re: Survivors - BBC new series.
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 10:50:31 PM »
It took 3 days for them to die didn't it. When the lead actress suddenly wakes up it had a  3 days later subtitle.

BUt what about the young Arabic chap who went to bed with the girl from the nightclub who was seemingly fit and healthy, the next morning she was dead. Also the crowd in the mosque, they all died at the same time, presumably overnight as the little boy woke up in the morning, he adn't been asleep for three days?
You are quite right. I stand corrected. ;)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 08:36:47 AM »
On the other hand, I did catch up with  first episode of The Devil's Whore, which I thought looked good and had some nice moments, although as ever with TV historical drama, the battle scenes are pretty pitiful with just a handful of extras on each side... There's been some sniffiness because it was filmed in S Africa apparently, but if that fact hadn't been trumpeted in advance, I'd never have known. Looked like England to me.  ;)

Yes, Who would have known it was not England. The battle scenes were the usual handful of extras and no coordiniation or semblance of units/regiments etc, but it was intriguing. I shall watch tomorrow again. I'm hooked now as I want to know what happens to the heroine. (MY knowledge of the period only goes back to my schooldays history lessons)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 12:16:29 PM »
Survivors seemed like it could be interesting, a little different to the usual Mad Max type post-apocalypse world.

I don't remember the original so I can't compare it to that, but this one seemed much like 28 Days Later, but on the cheap and without Zombies.

I have to agree that "Einstein and Eddington" was excellent.  Still available to watch here for anyone in the UK who missed it:  http://bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00ft62c
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline The_Wisecrack

• Mad Scientist
    • Easy Painter
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 04:05:11 PM »
first off, as far as the trash on tv nowadays it was fun and enjoyable. but i ahve been ranting about one thing.

OK i admit that the bbc probably couldnt rake out millions like the americans did for i am legend and therefore couldnt litter the streets with dead bodys and cars. but the fact that they all seemed COMPLETELY bare. was (lost for a better word) bollocks. (mind my french). its just stupid. and i acknowledge that it was filmed in the early hours of the morning, but there is still no excuse. AND the people (e.g the arabic guy and the boy) would NOT be arguing, they would be huddling together for support and would all be confused.

well

i would be   lol
EZPAINTER.CO.UK/BLOG

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 10:40:36 AM »
I like it - it's entertainment and has a reasonable standard of production and acting. Certainly better than Strictly Come Dancing.

There's probably holes in the plot and the representation of the aftermath of the catastrophe but frankly - I don't care. I'm not writing a thesis on it. ;)

Doug

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2008, 10:49:26 AM »
I quite like it. It's not brilliant, but few things are. As for the dying overnight thing, I reckon it's a bio-weapon. I did like the security guards with biohazard suits and a capture noose...
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2008, 12:45:30 PM »
I like it - it's entertainment and has a reasonable standard of production and acting. Certainly better than Strictly Come Dancing.

Whats wrong with Strictly Come Dancing, especially now John Sargeant has left ???
Infact ignore me, don't answer that question, I had a momemtary laspe of reason, although some of those female dancers are rather fetching and the outifts... ;D

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2008, 01:31:37 PM »

Whats wrong with Strictly Come Dancing???

That's what I wondered.  Never miss it.  Though when it comes on I'm usually painting so tape it and watch later.   :)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 01:45:31 PM »

Whats wrong with Strictly Come Dancing???

That's what I wondered.  Never miss it.  Though when it comes on I'm usually painting so tape it and watch later.   :)

Yes, the gels are certainly scrumptious and I did watch a couple of times when John Sargent was in but what I can't stand about it, along with all the rest of these vote-off shows, is the hysteria of the audience. I can't be doing with all that whoopin' and hollerin' which we seem to have imported from America. Polite applause from the audience and a modest smile from the contestants is all that's required.

Doug

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2008, 02:41:38 PM »
I quite like Survivors and recall the original series, which I also liked. It's certainly more believable than Bonekickers and two of the main characters are from that series (I wonder who they are sleeping with to keep getting these parts?).

I admit it's odd that nobody seems to have died outside of a building, but what can you do? The BBC doesn't run to a large budget, so early morning filming is the only answer. At least deserted streets give the impression of being almost the last people on earth.

The original ran for three or so series of about 10 or 12 episodes a piece. I seem to recall it being very much thick jumpers and going back to nature in its outlook, a bit like the Good Life without the laughs. This one seems harsher in its outlook.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2008, 02:45:11 PM »
The original ran for three or so series of about 10 or 12 episodes a piece. I seem to recall it being very much thick jumpers and going back to nature in its outlook,

Funnily enough I remember the thick jumpers and John Duttine the actor being in it as well. Nothing else comes to mind, funny how we seem to remember the same things..

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2008, 08:07:19 PM »
funny how we seem to remember the same things..

Isn't it - I remember Lucy Flemming in a thick Aran Jumper and the guy with special needs being executed for being wrongly accused of raping and killing another fenale actress. He had actually only catchingn and skinning rabbits. And I think he had a fixation about spuds. He used to repeatedly say "Po-ta-toes" very slowly.
Other than that it's a complete blank.
I don\'t know whether to be a good example or a horrible warning.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2008, 09:01:40 AM »
I caught up with the second episode last night, still kept me going very good Tuesdays looks good as well

nice  8)

dodge

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2008, 09:35:53 AM »

. He used to repeatedly say "Po-ta-toes" very slowly.

Isnt that Sam Gamgee who says po tait toes

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2008, 01:02:56 AM »

. He used to repeatedly say "Po-ta-toes" very slowly.

Isnt that Sam Gamgee who says po tait toes

"taters? wot's taters? gollum!"