Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:49:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686666
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: When Worlds Collide  (Read 1602 times)

Offline synjin

• Student
When Worlds Collide
« on: December 22, 2015, 03:11:50 AM »
 So, I read the novels When Worlds Collide and After Worlds Collide years and years ago, but just saw on Audible the first book was on sale for under $10 US. Listening to them the heroes really are square jawed, straight shooting fellows. Makes me wonder whether they could be used for a good pulp game background. In any case I'm enjoying them, even though they are rather dated.
"Hold steady men!  We can take him!"

Last words of Night Goblin Boss Nozmott just before receiving the charge of the Dread Lord Bloodthrister Mohggore Rogg.

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
Re: When Worlds Collide
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 04:20:00 PM »
Read those many years ago, and the bit that stuck with me was the hero's Japanese valet. Yes, he's a stereotype as presented here, but after getting separated from the hero he turns up months later at the gates of their secret launch facility on the other side of the continent and rejoins the party.

Their secret launch facility.

On the other side of a continent that's currently being torn apart by pre-Collision weather disasters, earthquakes and social chaos beyond comprehension.

Across which he presumably walked, since they mentioned that there were no more planes, and organized transport had failed.

Quietly bad ass. Possibly the real hero in the book... You could totally run with that for Pulp Alley (the League in which the serious leader is actually the "hero's" man-servant)
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
Re: When Worlds Collide
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 04:45:42 PM »
Quietly bad ass. Possibly the real hero in the book... You could totally run with that for Pulp Alley (the League in which the serious leader is actually the "hero's" man-servant)

i thought about that idea too - where the "leader" is somewhat inept at most things but a "sidekick" runs the show.  it's almost a given as a pulp trope.  just make the ally or follower the 'nominal leader' with league names like 'professor so-and-so's band of cohorts' but the prof is an ally/follower stat/level wise on the roster.  "professor - you hired me to get you to the sacred thingus alive so stay close" says statename jones (the 'real' and stat/level leader).