Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:20:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686447
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Frostgrave thread with otherworld/northstar comparison pics  (Read 3608 times)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
My Frostgrave thread with otherworld/northstar comparison pics
« on: December 24, 2015, 05:06:40 AM »
Finally getting round to some frostgrave, been putting together an 'evil' warband having been inspired by the new cultist soldiers.

I also received a free sample of two miniatures from otherworld miniatures given to my by the generous Richard Scott after I inquired about how their miniatures stacked up to northstars own brand.

Now that the miniatures have all arrived i've taken a few pics.

In the first pic we see two northstar with a mantic necromancer in the middle(saw the guy on ebay a while back, thought he'd be great for a necromancer/lich/npc).

Second we have two northstar next to a high priest from otherworlds men of evil range, as you can see the OW mini is bigger than the alchemist despite the fact it has no integral base while the apothecary does, compared to the barbarian they are about equal if you discount the barbarians integral base.

Third we have a cultist next to a templar and knight, discounting integral bases the northstar miniatures are bigger, also of note the high priest miniatures is (if we discount the tip of the hood) taller than the cultist and about the same height as the knight and templar although less bulky.

In terms of quality I would say the otherworld minis edged out the northstar, the otherworld minis had minimal flash and very clean, while the northstar had quite a bit of flash (still scraping it off) also some slight loss of detail in a few, for example loss of detail on assassins dagger hand makes the hand look like some type of weird oven mitt as well as the templar sword and base being slightly deformed(mold slippage?) on the plus side the metal is very strong so weapons are easily bent back into shape without fear of breaking them.

All in all i'm surprised(and ever so slightly disappointed) at how things turned out as originally I was more looking forward to the northstar minis, more than the otherworld minis, as you can see there is no problem with mixing the two ranges for a warband, and I recommend both ranges which I will be buying from in the furture.

Stay tuned for some painte up pics of both manufactures in the near future.

Offline MrCharisma

• Assistant
Re: My Frostgrave thread with otherworld/northstar comparison pics
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 06:48:22 AM »
My warband is a combination of Reaper Pathfinder, Otherworld and Northstar. I've found they blend well and don't seem out of proportion.

Nice pictures and I'm looking forward to seeing them painted.

Offline Roberticus

• Student
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 01:48:07 PM »
Unless you're going for a "Golden Demon" award (I see what they're standing on in the first pic!), then just go with it. I hear what you're saying about the size differences, but they're minimal and this game is all about the playing. Just find miniatures you like and use them. Chances are they'll be dying anyway!  :D

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 04:56:44 AM »
Looking forward to painting them...although i've now realized I don't have enough bases or any greenstuff  :'(

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 08:09:43 AM »
Thanks for the comparisons. They look like they mix in well, within the range of acceptable differences in height. Might have to get a few otherworld to add extra character to my warbands

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 04:35:38 PM »
Finally some pics of the northstar minis painted up (still wip progress though).

First up the cultist knight and templar followed by the apothecary, tracker and barbarian.

And finally a group shot of my wip frostgrave warband.

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 11:49:22 PM »
Looking great mate. The new cultist heavies are awesome sculpts, you've really done them justice.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 10:08:07 AM »
Nicely painted. Thanks for sharing