Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:06:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689767
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Saxon Army of 1813 (21.3. Grenadiers, Infantry and Artillery)  (Read 14862 times)

Offline baxterj

• Assistant
Re: The Saxon Army of 1813
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 11:25:07 AM »
Nysse, the great thing about the DB Hussars is that they match the Saxon horse furniture and have a covered shako, so the plate is not an issue. The DB hussar figure is a really useful figure for all the Confederation hussar regts.

You can see in my pics I have done the PC Uhlans by putting a Saxon chevauleger head on top of a Vistula Legion lancers. The VL figure has a square lapel, the right horse furniture etc.

Any queries on the AB range, please feel free to ask. I visit Eureka every week and know the range very well.
John

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 07:16:48 AM »
They received lances in 1812 - see figure 5 in the plate below for their uniform :

Thanks for the pic link! Though I was under the impression that their uniform was the same even after they were converted to Uhlans. Have to check from a few other sources as well. Other pics I've seen have them wearing the Chevauxleger uniform in 1813. Never really seen one with that style of uniform.

French hussars = wrong horse furniture.

For PC Ulans, you would have to do a head transplant onto the Saxon chevaulegers figures.

Yes the horse furniture is one issue with those. Have to check which way would be the best base for conversion. The DB might be the easier one then.

You can see in my pics I have done the PC Uhlans by putting a Saxon chevauleger head on top of a Vistula Legion lancers. The VL figure has a square lapel, the right horse furniture etc.

Thanks for the tip! Will have to try that out when I get to the light cavalry.
Chronicling my fight against a growing lead pile with some occasional gaming: Engineered Gaming

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 06:45:49 PM »
Thanks for the pic link! Though I was under the impression that their uniform was the same even after they were converted to Uhlans.

The Polish-style light blue uniform with black facings was issued at some point in 1813 or early 1814. It may or may not have been worn during the fall 1813 campaign but it looks good. That said, Peter Bunde shows the Prinz Clemens Uhlans wearing red coatees faced light green in his Brigade uniform plate :

http://www.brigade-uniform-tafeln.de/uniformtafeln/?p=23

Offline archiduque

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 11:43:44 AM »
Excellent stuff!! ;)

Offline Paddy649

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 02:32:15 PM »
von Pivka's book just says that the PC Uhlans changed to Traditional Polish in Light Blue with black facings" in 1813 - no month.  For Fall 1813 is that you could reasonably justify either - so the best solution is the easiest.

Using AB figures as the base this would probably be to take the AB-SAXC01 Saxon Chevauxleger figure, scalpel off the sword and add a wire lance and green stuff sword hilt.  The only other alternative I could see is to use AB-IG45 Guard lancer and clean of the furniture on the czapka and add a plume. 

That said the opportunity to paint Saxon Uhlans in bright red with Canary Green facings with the trumpeter in reverse colours is just too good to miss!

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
Re: The Saxon Army of 1813 (11.1. Zastrow Kürassiere)
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 08:30:58 AM »
Thanks for the link Arthur! Might just have to go with the Chevauxleger colours as they are so colourful and would definitely stand out.

Though I'd expect the Polish uniform is closer to the truth if they switched to that in 1813. As the Regiment was reraised in 1813 it would seem logical that they switched to a new uniform at that time instead of changing uniforms after about half a year of use. Another chance might have been after the Saxons switched sides and most of the army was sent to serve under Prussia.

Oh well I'll have to do some more research on that unit. Though I guess the bright red and light green would be the better choice even if it's not historically correct for 1813 as it's just so striking.

With that I finally managed to get the Zastrow's based. Next a minor pause in this project as I really need to get some Flames of War stuff ready for a tournament. Then probably some more infantry before I put an order in with Fighting 15s for a refill.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:51:48 AM by Nysse »

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 01:45:26 PM »
More lovely work - very impressive!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2016, 12:34:33 PM »
After a short Olive Drab interlude, work continues on the Saxons. This time the Rechten Regiment with only one battalion taking part in the 1813 campaign. I still have enough minis for one battalion after this, but luckily reinforcements should arrive later in the week from Fighting 15s in the form of all the missing line infantry battalions. I hit a small speed bumb in the project with Light Infantry and Grenadiers being unavailable until sometime in March. Not really an issue, but it would have been nice to get some more varied units to paint and to complete the force division at a time, but alas nothing can be done about that. Hopefully I can get most of the line infantry done before Fighting 15s can deliver the other infantry types again.

Still basing to do, but should have them finished in a few days and ready to be entered into the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge

Offline archiduque

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2016, 05:13:32 PM »
Very nice work! ;)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2016, 09:52:17 PM »
Those are superb!

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 10:16:00 AM »
Thanks guys! Next unit is primed and these have finally gotten based. More pics when they've been on the challenge blog for the requisite amount of time.

Plus I finally got my care package! Nearly all the line infantry is now there waiting for painting as are the Prinz Clemens Uhlans. I just have to figure out how to do the lances as they really need to be quite thin to fit in the hands of the minis. So I should be set for the next couple of months and hopefully when I've painted all of them Fighting 15s can once again supply the light infantry and grenadiers as well.

Offline Nysse

• Scientist
    • Engineered Gaming
Re: The Saxon Army of 1813 (15.2. Regiment Prinz Maximillian)
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2016, 01:07:50 PM »
Another unit finished. This time the first battalion of Regiment Prinz Maximillian. After these it's the two battalions of Regiment von Steindel and all the line infantry of the first division is done. Progress is slightly slow with multiple other minis for different being painted in between Saxon regiments, but at least it keeps my interests up instead of just painting the same subject over and over again.

Anyone who has done conversions to lancers how have you done the lances? Thin wire would be an obvious choice, but then I thought about using broom bristles with one end sharpened. A bit easier to shape and hopefully should just bounce back in shape even if bent. My storage solution (fishing lure boxes) is very space saving, but I've had a few incidents with dropped bags where some box got turned around and a few flag poles bent.

Anyway on to the unit. I got some casualty minis from Fighting 15s as well, but unfortunately most of the AB Saxon casualties aren't that suitable to be thrown in a unit at least the way we are basing them. Put in one for added variety and added a tiny bit of blood spatter. In hindsight I don't really like the blood though so I guess I'll just have to quickly touch the mini up with white and yellow again to cover it up.

Seems the pics turned out quite dark this time. Oh well, those will have to do :)

And I noticed I forgot to post finished pics of the Rechten Regiment

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2016, 05:53:24 AM »
Escellent work :)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2016, 03:04:33 AM »
Superb!