Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:45:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: "Fortune and Glory, kid..." - tried the board game  (Read 2445 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
"Fortune and Glory, kid..." - tried the board game
« on: December 29, 2015, 04:05:32 PM »

One of my friends got the Pulp-themed Fortune and Glory board game for Christmas, so we duly tried it out this Sunday. It took us awhile to figure things out. There are so many pieces, counters, and tokens! We got through and everyone had a good time. My Pulp hero (or villain? He's listed as a "scoundrel"... lol) actually won.

Read the report on my blog:
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/2015/12/fortune-and-glory-kid-fortune-and-glory.html

It certainly got us all in the frame of mind to do some more Pulp Alley miniatures games...!

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Re: "Fortune and Glory, kid..." - tried the board game
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 04:09:31 PM »
Very cool! I've always wanted to play that game. THANKS for sharing.  ;)

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 04:16:46 PM »
Played it in the shop where I used to work! Great game with many a laugh when you are learning the rules!

We accidently had a tank spawn on the Zeppelin! Then at the end of the game read the rule that said this couldn't happen pull a different encounter!?! lol (Kinda made sense but we fell about when it happened!)

Also the contact card of the President of the USA being used to stop a Sandstorm! That seemed a little weird?

Must be the Masons!? :D

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 07:48:49 AM »
Looks like an interesting game, I've added it to my ever-growing wish list.

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 04:47:19 PM »
Thanks for the write up Mike. I picked this game up at a LGS but haven't had the time to play it. Fortunately I paid a lot less and in Canadian dollars to boot. I will have to give it a try.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 09:31:29 PM »
We accidently had a tank spawn on the Zeppelin! Then at the end of the game read the rule that said this couldn't happen pull a different encounter!?! lol (Kinda made sense but we fell about when it happened!)

Now I wonder what kind of rule that would be? Vehicles cant spawn inside vehicles or some-such? I love the idea of discovering a tank hidden inside a Zeppelin cargo bay and then end up fighting it! Sounds like a epic final encounter in a movie.

Shut up and sit down, a board game review website said the game hat a lot of flavour, not hugely deep game play (a bit like talisman) but on occasion the combination of cards simply would not make sense. Like the president stopping a sandstorm.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 10:25:47 PM »
Now I wonder what kind of rule that would be? Vehicles cant spawn inside vehicles or some-such? I love the idea of discovering a tank hidden inside a Zeppelin cargo bay and then end up fighting it! Sounds like a epic final encounter in a movie.

Shut up and sit down, a board game review website said the game hat a lot of flavour, not hugely deep game play (a bit like talisman) but on occasion the combination of cards simply would not make sense. Like the president stopping a sandstorm.

It was a while ago? But I think it actually stated the rule on the Tank card? Not sure the exact wording but I think it was something like "This encounter not allowed on Zeppelin!" Pull another Nazi/Reich card!

But it was hilarious at the time cos we missed it. But the Pres with the Sandstorm! (In the Kitchen....sorry went a bit Cluedo there!)

Genius!

Still I liked the game a lot! :D

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 03:25:36 PM »
We really enjoy this game, I think it's one of my favorites!
It doesn't get nearly the love it should, IMO.
- Scott

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 05:39:20 PM »
I have only played my copy once. The gf hated it so I haven't been able to put it on the table since. She much prefers Touch of Evil or Zombicide. I'd love to play Fortune and Glory more often, perhaps I'll have to try out a solo game or something.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca