Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:47:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] Mythic Battles: Pantheon (Monolith & Mythic Games)  (Read 43258 times)

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
Troopers (like Spartans) and heroes (like Achilles) are 32mm to the eyes ; Gods are 60 mm and monsters are....at special sizes !
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”Robert E. Howard, The Tower of The Elephant, 1933

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
Scylla :

Offline Mythic Games

• Schoolboy
Hello folks.

My name is Benoit from Mythic Games. We are the publisher of Mythic Battles: Pantheon, together with Monolith. I am the game designer.

I am very pleased to see some interest here in the game. I saw quite a few pictures of miniatures and artworks from our FB page ;-). I think you missed this one, Léonidas, King of Sparta from Stephan Kopinski. Hope you enjoy it.

I would be glad to answer the questions you may have about the game. Do not hesitate !

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
Perhaps you could say a little bit more about the basic gameplay. Is it meant for one-off games or will there be some kind of campaign system, like a warband / skirmish type of game? Are there any resources like gold that can be earned and spend between battles? Will there be any character advancement?

Offline Mythic Games

• Schoolboy
In order to explain the gameplay, let me first explain a bit about the background:

Hera, tired of Zeus' infidelity, decides to take her revenge and releases the Titans on Mount Olympus. In the ensuing battle, the power liberated by the combatants ignites in a combustion that shatters the Earth. In the ensuing deflagration, the weakest gods are obliterated, rendered down into the small fragments of power that constituted their being. The stronger ones were able to resist total annihilation but even their prodigious power could not save them entirely. As the survivors fell from the broken mountain, the shards of their divinity and the remnants of those that did not survive were scattered to the 4 corners of a now broken world.

As they awoke, each god found themselves to be but a shadow of their former selves. They were still mighty, stronger than any mortal that yet walked but they were no longer all powerful, no longer immortal. Each one could sense the fragments of power that had now fallen to the Earth and that by collecting these they could regain their former grandeur and, if they could but amass enough, stand at the front of a new Pantheon, reshaped in their image.

The world around them suffered as much as they did, the power released during the epic battle had ignited a cataclysm that reduced the beautiful land of Greece to a barren wasteland. Athens burns, Crete has sunken below the waves of the roiling seas and the immortal mount Olympus is now an ash covered wreck of its former glory. But this Event has not only affected the mortal realms. The underworld trembled from the blow even as a legion of fresh souls ran down the river Styx. Would that have been the extent of the underworld's involvement however...

Hades, having lost the majority of his power, no longer holds sway over the Underworld. The gates of hell are open and even though the River Styx prevents the weakest souls from regaining the mortal world, the strongest warriors, the mightiest heroes and the most vicious monsters have managed to claw their way back up the Styx and back to the surface.

As a new power struggle breaks out, Gods summon mortal survivors, returned heroes and reborn monsters to their side in their hunt for the shards of their lost power.

In Mythic Battles: Pantheon, it is these clashes between warbands, in the midst of a post-apocalyptic ancient Greece, that are the focal point of the game. Choose your God, draft your warband and take the fight to your enemies with the might of the most powerful beings from Greek mythology at your back.

There are different ways to play Mythic Battles:

In a"standard game", each player first draft a god. Then they have recruitment points to draft heroes (Léonidas, Odisseus; Heracles…), monsters (Hydra, Cerberus…) or troops (spartans, hoplites, amazons…) to build their war band.

Then, players build a deck of cards that they get through their fighters. These cards may be action cards (used to perform actions such like moving or attacking with the related unit) and Art of War cards. These cards allow to use the special abilities of your fighters, draw additional cards, fetch a card in your deck or playing a second unit during your turn, calling troops as reinforcement... You get mandatorily 3 art of war cards in your hand at the beginning of the game. Each unit provides a different mix of action and art of war cards.

On your turn you may activate one of your unit (move + perform an action such like attacking of picking up a gem + use the powers or skill of your unit) by discarding the related action card. You may also take actions during your opponent's turn through counter-attack or by using some powers or skills.

Each unique fighter (gods, heroes and monsters) comes with a wheel (the same kind as x wing) to keep track of their stat as they take damages. The more damages they take, the weaker they are.

Troops come as a group of 2 to 6 miniatures. One miniature is removed from the game for each damage taken. Troops are the weakest units, but the gods have the ability to call new ones as reinforcement during the battle.

In order to win the game you must absorb a certain number of gems of divine power (lying on the battlefield) called Omphalos with your gods or take the health of the opposite god down to zero.

Fighting is simulated through a unique dice mechanic that allows to mitigate randomness.

These are the basics of the game. There are many other things to say about the game and its mechanics. The game holds a lot of depth through for example the draft system, the victory conditions and the many different fighters who are all unique and come with unique and thematic skills.

There will also be plenty of scenarios and campaigns working around the above described game mechanics. These will not necessarily focus on the clash of the gods to earn back their powers thanks to the Omphalos. They may for examples focus on quests undertaken by heroes. Scenarios and campaigns will come with new victory conditions, actions...

There will be other game modes but I cannot speak about them at the moment…  :)

I would be happy to answer all questions you might have about the game.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:11:45 AM by Mythic Games »

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
Hooo, the game designer himself !!! Welcome to LAF, this post is yours.  :D

Offline Mythic Games

• Schoolboy
Hooo, the game designer himself !!! Welcome to LAF, this post is yours.  :D

Thanks  ;)

Offline pelonas

• Bookworm
This looks amazing! Out of interest, are you likely to sell the minis separately? The hydra is by far the nicest I've seen - though it all looks great, that one has particularly caught my eye.

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
Are the figures metal or plastic. Being a plastic hater, please be metal.
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline Mythic Games

• Schoolboy
This looks amazing! Out of interest, are you likely to sell the minis separately? The hydra is by far the nicest I've seen - though it all looks great, that one has particularly caught my eye.

The miniatures will not be sold separately. Sorry, if you want to own hydra you will have to buy the core game.

But I am pretty sure you would not regreat buying the whole game. The other miniatures are great too (did you check out the minotaur, Leonidas…?) and the game plays very well. The boards will be as beautiful as the mini.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 10:59:40 AM by Mythic Games »

Offline Mythic Games

• Schoolboy
Are the figures metal or plastic. Being a plastic hater, please be metal.

Sorry, all miniatures will be plastic. Can you imagine how heavy the box would be with metal miniatures such like the hydra?  ;)

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
Prometheus :
Concept art by Stéphane Gantiez

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
Do we have a launch date yet?

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
I thought this was not going to launch until the Conan KS fulfills... at least that is what I heard previously.  I think that is scheduled to fulfill this fall.
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Which is a very good idea. That way they will retain goodwill from Conan backers and see many of them returning for more. It's probably a very good idea so people can see they can fulfill projects and if they produce quality results from Conan then even more will come through that were sitting on the fence.
There are only a few minis in this that I really like for my own purposes so I may stay clear but then again I'm a sucker for this sort of stuff.