Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:38:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689474
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 101 SPACE Oddities(comments)?  (Read 6646 times)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: 101 SPACE Oddities?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 03:29:23 PM »
Good news bad news situation. I started my build for this, and its shaping up nicely. Bad news, its shaping up like it could make a great 28mm speeder bike, and I think that's what its going to be, rather then a spaceship. Sorry vacheads everywhere.

Our loss, your massive win. No complaints...  ;)

Doug

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 06:08:51 PM »
If Chris doesn't 'take the bait' soon, I'll start another post, copy most of his rules, and Bob will be MY uncle. ;->=

Don't think there are winners, just a 101 players, right?  ???

Doug

Hi Doug,

sorry for not replying earlier. As I am still busy running the Weird War Painting Club, I wouldn't mind if you folks held an informal painting club, since it could be quite some time until we do another "official" SF painting club - feel free to use our "standard" rules as a base for tweaking.

Just make it clear that it isn't an "official" LAF painting club (and it would fall to the thread opener to keep tabs and all! ;)).

Finally, to avoid confusion, it might be good to use a slightly different title (not that my pun was that good, anyway). It would help to distinguish the two and give yours more identity, IMHO.

In any case, that goes for all - if any members want to start a group project, they are free to do so, and we would actually welcome such initiatives. It should just be made clear that LAF as an entity is not a "sponsor", and that it is "inofficial", especially if there are prizes of any kind involved.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 06:45:46 PM »
In any case, that goes for all - if any members want to start a group project, they are free to do so, and we would actually welcome such initiatives. It should just be made clear that LAF as an entity is not a "sponsor", and that it is "inofficial", especially if there are prizes of any kind involved.

I have an idea for something like that myself, although I'll probably hold up on suggesting it until after the next LPL. When I do run it up the flagpole, I'll probably still suggest it as an official "club" at first (on the principle that it can't hurt to ask), but I won't hold my breath.

And as for the spacecraft scratchbuild/kitbash club, I might well join in on that sooner or later as long as it gets off to a good start. For the time being, though, I can't think of anything to build, so rather than wracking my brain or forcing myself to make something uninspired, I'll just leave it be for now and hope that sometime later (maybe months from now) I'll get the inspiration and the enthusiasm for a scratchbuild or a kitbash - but I think Froggy's spaceships are a particularly successful idea, and anything I make would probably not live up to that standard. TBH I'd have no objection to a simple spacecraft painting club that omits the scratchbuild/kitbash requirement.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: 101 SPACE Oddities(comments)?
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2016, 07:09:16 PM »
Sounds a cracking idea!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 03:25:58 PM »
Chris, no problem on your replying or not, though I wanted to give the chance if you wished. Unofficial WILL be part of the title.

How about a paint contest here, a separate DIY build in Workbench, or maybe a 'child' there?

Would that step on any toes? I would un-officially rule a self-build could also be posted as a paint job, mind you.

Doug

Edit: Oh, crickies, that would involve other moderators, wouldn't it? Damn, I get myself in the most complicated situations!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 03:27:57 PM by The_Beast »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 06:03:34 PM »
Chris, no problem on your replying or not, though I wanted to give the chance if you wished. Unofficial WILL be part of the title.

How about a paint contest here, a separate DIY build in Workbench, or maybe a 'child' there?

Would that step on any toes? I would un-officially rule a self-build could also be posted as a paint job, mind you.

Doug

Edit: Oh, crickies, that would involve other moderators, wouldn't it? Damn, I get myself in the most complicated situations!

Well, being an Admin, I can, of course moderate all boards, but I'd prefer to let the others do the work. :D So let's keep this to the most suitable board.

What exactly do you mean by "DIY" thread? I'd strongly suggest avoiding splitting the group build over multiple threads, those are a nightmare to track.

I'd suggest that you folks get a clear idea of what the group build should encompass and then think about some basic rules to maintain comparability and suitability of entries.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 07:03:40 PM »
Painted or repainted for one, scratchbuild/kitbash another.

I'd see it at two contests, with someone who builds a new ship, then paints it, eligible for both.

TOO fiddly?

Doug

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2016, 07:11:08 PM »
Painted or repainted for one, scratchbuild/kitbash another.

I'd see it at two contests, with someone who builds a new ship, then paints it, eligible for both.

TOO fiddly?

Doug

Well, if you want to do the book-keeping, you're welcome to try. :)

Note that I wouldn't mind having both threads on the Future Wars board, but it goes into the territory we are trying to avoid by the "No duplicate threads" rule.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2016, 07:33:26 PM »
Roger.

I'll start working on 'rules', and one thread with entries identifying sources. It's the only way to be sure.  :D

Doug

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 07:58:40 PM »
Please don't put too much significance into my having said:

TBH I'd have no objection to a simple spacecraft painting club that omits the scratchbuild/kitbash requirement.

I'm just one LAFer in the crowd, after all. If a scratchbuild/kitbash club is what you're enthusiastic about, go for that.

If at some later point someone else wants to do a spacecraft painting club and if in that eventuality the admins would rather not have two separate threads which partly overlap in subject matter, then perhaps you may have to accede to altering the rules/premise of the club so as to simply have it be a generic "spacecraft club" without the requirement that the craft be "homemade", but that's a later hypothetical, so don't let it trip you up now.

Another similar hypothetical is that someone may want to start a generic "techy sci-fi stuff scratchbuild/kitbash" club that does have the "homemade" requirement but doesn't limit itself to just spacecraft.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 11:08:09 AM »
Wouldn't just be easier for a single thread? Extra cool if it's scratch built/kitbashed, but not necessary.

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
    • Sean's Gaming and Shooting Blog
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 06:04:24 PM »
I'd be up for the scratch built spaceship theme.  I would love to see what others have done.  I might even be motivated to put together an entry or two.

Having said that, I would also be interested in just a regular old spaceship theme.
The winning player isn't always the better player.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2016, 07:48:05 PM »
Wouldn't just be easier for a single thread? Extra cool if it's scratch built/kitbashed, but not necessary.

I'll probably have my thoughts coalesced for a post on Monday, but they're tending to 'anything spaceship' with 'stuff I'd REALLY like to see.' ;->=

Doug