Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:30:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Chariots Rampant the Mycenean challenge AAR of post Covid battle.  (Read 50956 times)

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
Re: Chariots Rampant the Mycenean challenge Picture salvage attempt on p.14
« Reply #255 on: October 27, 2019, 06:30:16 PM »
Awesome looking collection mate, love the group shot.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #256 on: October 28, 2019, 07:15:36 AM »
New reinforcements are ready for my Hittite army. First up are some long awaited chariots. I have chosen to mix some light chariots into the units. This way, if I get around to painting another, I can either have three of these mixed units or two heavy and one light.

The infantry also receive reinforcement inform of the missile support. I have spent quite a lot of time on their closing, inspired by the picture on the box. The endresult is quite pleasing, but now I just wish I had more.
Once again, all the models are from Cutting Edge.

Dr. Zombie and I have been working on expanding our Chariot Rampant warbands into full armies for either Hail Caesar or To the Strongest. With these models, my Hittite army is almost ready to go to war. I am working on a unit of Anatolian Highland warriors, but then I hope to have enough models for a game. My plan for the Hittites is to have one division of Hittite spear armed infantry (hopefully Dr. Zombie will have some units to pitch in) along with the archers and some skirmishers. Another division will be made up of various allies as Seapeople, Highland Warriors and maybe some Greeks. Lastly, there will be the chariot division where we technically need some more Hittite chariots, but probably will make ends meet with Greek chariots. In all we have between us 24 chariots so there should be enough for two division of four unit of three models for each army.

We will do some army photoshoots when everything is ready which hopefully won’t be too long. 

Cheers
Erik

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #257 on: October 28, 2019, 04:30:59 PM »
Amazing! Wonderful work!

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Chariots Rampant the Mycenean challenge Preparing for the big christmas bash
« Reply #258 on: December 26, 2019, 08:55:16 PM »
Every year Erik and I put on a big Christmas game. This year the theme is Trojan war. And to keep with tradition I have had a mad scramble to make some new scenery for the game. Erik and I have already built a flexible gaming mat for this game (read about it here:http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=103000.msg1522757#msg1522757 ) But I decided we needed a bit more scatter for the table. So I made this.

Some scatterable shrubs a rocky outcrop and a temple. Here is another pic of the temple dedicated to Minos. One of the objectives for the Christmas game will be to defeat Minos in combat.

Offline seldon

• Scientist
Re: Chariots Rampant the Mycenean challenge Preparing for the big christmas bash
« Reply #259 on: December 26, 2019, 09:01:01 PM »
this thread always show great stuff

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #260 on: December 26, 2019, 09:26:56 PM »
Lovely.

I'm still deciding what to build for the BSC, and a ruined (by war) Bronze Age temple was on the cards (but you had flagged that in your placeholder BSC thread). I think I'm going to do something else now, but I still want a temple for my Greeks. What did you use for the columns?
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #261 on: December 26, 2019, 10:17:21 PM »
Awsome work Dr. Z :o :o :o :o. Check your Hotmail. I send you some suggestions for our Christmas game. Let me know what you think.

See you Saturday.

Cheers
Erik

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #262 on: December 27, 2019, 07:13:23 AM »
A most splendid temple  :-*

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #263 on: December 27, 2019, 07:49:31 AM »
I always enjoy coming back to this thread. There is so much love in the little details to find. Hope, you had a merry Christmas rumble!

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #264 on: December 27, 2019, 08:02:42 AM »
Lovely.

I'm still deciding what to build for the BSC, and a ruined (by war) Bronze Age temple was on the cards (but you had flagged that in your placeholder BSC thread). I think I'm going to do something else now, but I still want a temple for my Greeks. What did you use for the columns?

I think I will be doing a raided Saxon homestead for the BSC so please do build your temple. The columns are made from wooden plugs? I am not sure of the correct English word for them. You use them to plug holes in wood I you don’t want visible screws. 

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #265 on: December 27, 2019, 10:30:15 AM »
Okay, cool - thanks. And they're called plugs here too, [searching Bunnings for those playing at home in Australia]:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/haron-1-2-flat-round-pine-plugs-25-pack_p6321907

These are a little small, there's 1 inch ones available online though.

For BSC I'm thinking of a modular steam ship at this stage, so the temple will have to wait.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Chariots Rampant the Mycenean challenge AAR of the big christmas bash
« Reply #266 on: December 29, 2019, 03:59:27 PM »
This years traditional Christmas bash is set during the Trojan war.

It is the 5 year of the siege of troy and warparties are out scavenging for supplies and to win the favor of the gods. The 6 heroes are Achilleus, Odysseus and Ajax on the Greek side and Hektor, Paris and Aeneas on the trojan side. There are five objectives. Get Helen back, sacrifice a lamb to the gods, bring home the flock of sheep, burn down the olive grove and defeat Minotaurus. The game is all about personal glory so there are no sides as such it is every man for himself. Of course you are free to make and break alliances. we draw lots to see whose turn it is. Everyone has two lots in the pot. This was the layout at the beginning of the game.

The game opens with Paris directing his troops towards three objectives. A group of skirmishers are sent of with a saucy loveletter to Helen to bring her back. The chariot warriors are sent to kill of Minotaurus and the light cavalry are sent to burn down the olive trees to deny them from the greeks.

Aeneas too wanted the glory of denying the greeks the olives. So he moves his entire army towards them and actually orders his skirmishers to shoot at Paris' skirmishers to try and scare them off.

On the other side of the table Odysseus troops advance towards the sacrificial altar to make their sacrifice to gain favor by the gods.

Achilles light skirmishers however have also made a run for the altar.

And they have also laid their hands on the flock of sheep.

All while Achilles himself charges Minotaurus But he fails to defeat him and is forced to retreat wounded.

Aeneas sets fire to the olive grove.

Paris' Charioteer troops make their own assault on Minotaurus severely wounding him.

Achilles and Odysseus are still squabbling over who should sacrifice the lamb.

Meanwhile there has broken out a quite severe fight over Helen. Apparently Hektor has decided that it is not a good idea that she returns to Paris. He has already riden down the unit of skirmishers who were chatting up Helen and now he is engaging a unit of Paris' spearmen who tried to bring her back safely to Paris.

After having set the olive grove ablaze Aeneas challenges Ajax to single combat and kills him.

Achilles sneaks up and plants the killing blow on Minotaurus but in its death throes it kills a few of Achilles men forcing him to retreat.

Perhaps it was not a good idea to kill Minotaurus. As Achilleus is struck and killed by a lightning bolt.

After that his men makes a defensive circle to defend the sheep and get them off table.

Odysseus troops prepare to join the fight for fair Helen.

Odysseus charges Paris' spearmen driving them back and capturing Helen.

But he is in turn driven back by Hektor who now has control of Helen.

Aeneas fresh from his victory over Ajax now challenges Paris to single combat and defeats him as well.

Hektors troops continue to push back Odysseus troops. And clear the yard from enemy troops.

A bloody melee erupts in the yard with lots of casualties including Hektor who is taken down with a lucky javelin shot.

But in the end Hektors men are succesful in getting Helen of the table and thus ending the game. In the end Aeneas was the victor of the game having won most renown for himself. By burning the olive grove, winning two personal combats and generally slaughtering of most of Paris and Ajax armies.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #267 on: December 29, 2019, 04:46:17 PM »
Excellent AAR. I would like to have complained about the role given to Achillis defeating the minotaur, but his flight was less than heroic, so I won't. The fight for Helen was truly epic. I think they are still washing the blood off the walls on that farm.

Great battle and with most of the deployed miniatures having been taken off as casualties, it was a very hard-fought game.

Cheers
Erik

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #268 on: December 30, 2019, 12:03:48 AM »
Awesome looking game, really great to see all those miniatures and terrain on the table.

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #269 on: December 30, 2019, 10:47:39 AM »
Great game and table. :-* :-*