Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:44:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Harry does dungeon tiles.  (Read 23666 times)

Offline Harry

• Scientist
Harry does dungeon tiles.
« on: January 31, 2016, 07:39:16 PM »
Sooooo …. I have always liked a bit of dungeon bashing and enjoyed D&D and other similar games most when played with miniatures and dungeon floor plans. I have been delighted for years by other folks efforts at building 3D Dungeons or 2.5 Dungeon tiles and blown away by some of the faithful transformations into 3D of the Warhammer Quest tiles I have seen.
I have imagined doing something similar for years and finally I have got my thumb out of my arse and done something about it.

What prompted this new enthusiasm for this project? …. Three things:

Firstly, I got behind the Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter and although that has been somewhat delayed the arrival of some very exciting dungeon goddies is just around the corner and I wanted to have a nice dungeon to put it in as I get it painted up. (Even during the Kickstarter I started thinking about how great it would be to have all this stuff painted up in a cool dungeon of my own).

Second ... Into the Breeding pits is coming next for Frostgrave taking the action into the undercity.

Third was a thread over on the Oldhammer forum where a lovely fella called Stuart (AKA Bane) shares the good times he has ‘Heroquesting’ with his children. On this thread Stuart also makes some nice dungeon tiles from stryrofoam.

Now, I have always put off having a go as I worried my modelling/painting skills wouldn't give me the results I wanted BUT Stuart provided a fantastic ‘walkthrough’ step by step on his Blog:

http://thelostandtheverydamned.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/tutorial-dungeon-tiles.html

and managed to completely de-mistify the whole process which really gave the confidence to have a go myself. So big thanks to Stuart.

So first a few decisions …. The ones every Dungeon builder must make early on.

Walls or no walls? No brainer for me ….. walls look great but they just get in the way when you are playing and you can’t ‘sit back’ and enjoy looking at the table  … you kind of have to be standing over it looking down into it from a birds eye point of view. Also I had grown up using GW dungeon floor plans …. so ...

Size of squares? Whilst I get the urge to go bigger than 25 mm squares …. Because round bases spill out of them  and it gives a bit more breathing space for the heroic scale of models … I decided to go 25mm. I like the idea of big dungeons … so smaller tiles means bigger dungeons with more rooms will fit on the table. Most of my fantasy stuff is mounted on 20mm squares anyway so sit comfortable on 25mm squares and even the bigger monsters are on 40mm or 50 mm bases so will fit on the squares. Finally I quite fancied making some rooms and corridors with Hirst arts moulds. You can get these in 25mm squares. (Also the lasercut Heroquest board I painted recently also has 25mm squares …. and I had the idea I might try and reproduce some of these rooms as individual, generic dungeon rooms.

Border or no border. I get the urge to have a border …. To stop minis toppling of the side …. And also to keep the look of the Warhammer quest tiles. However, I think given my basing decision the first point will not be an issue for me and I decided to go with 10mm think tiles with black edges so I have retained the Warhammer Quest tile feel a little bit.

Generic dungeon of faithful reproduction of Warhammer Quest? Well the faithful reproduction bit has already been done by more talented painters than I and I had some ideas of my own I want to do ... BUT ... I will not be able to resist having a crack at a few of the Quest tiles whilst I am at it …. It would simply be rude not to. So it will be a mix of Quest tiles and original stuff.

So enough chat …. Last weekend I found myself with a day off for good behaviour and got stuck in ….

« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 08:20:49 AM by Harry »

Offline Harry

• Scientist
Re: Harry does dungeon tiles.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 07:41:08 PM »
I started with some of the Warhammer quest basic rooms:

This is some PVA:

These are some shreddies:

These are some crushed up shreddies:

Here is a bed:

OK you get the idea.

Then I had a go at a couple of bigger rooms of my own.

Next I stuck a boat load of Hirst arts tiles I had made earlier onto some mounting board ....

...and after a few hours I had produced this little lot. So off to a good start.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 08:01:53 PM by Harry »

Offline Harry

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 07:41:52 PM »
So this was one of my rooms:

This could be set up as a fountain room .... The fountain is an Airfix piece.

Or as a Wizards study ... using some old Scotia Grendel bits I have:

I have made a couple of more rooms designed to fit some of the other Scotia Grendel pieces I have:

« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 08:22:00 PM by Harry »

Offline Harry

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 07:42:20 PM »
Next I had at the styrofoam with my hotwire cutter:

I put the same grid on this as the dungeon rooms and then covered it in sand.
I want the grid to be there but not THAT visible.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 08:36:15 PM by Harry »

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 07:43:06 PM »
Very good  :)

I like the idea of copying the originals and the Shreddies are genius  lol

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 09:10:18 PM »
Great start. Looking forward to how this progresses.

I really like the way the cut-out grates look - its this real 3d that makes miniatures look so much better.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 09:53:23 PM »
Very good  :)

I like the idea of copying the originals and the Shreddies are genius  lol

cheers

James

Looking forward to more updates, especially with regard to the Shreddies. You could make it a "serial"!

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 01:25:24 AM »
This is such a cool project. I have Warhammer Quest with all expansions but only ever played it once, I didn't like the gameplay very much although the components were top-notch, of course.

BoardGameGeek has lots of user pics like yours if you need inspiration, but I assume you already checked those out :)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 07:22:19 AM »
Great tiles. The 3d elements you have included really make the detail stand out. You also managed to get the line "these are some shreddies" making complete sense in a wargaming post which can't be easy.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 07:52:47 AM »
Very cool. The cavern tiles look great and the dungeon tiles are brilliant. Can't wait to see paint on them.
Looking forward to more updates, especially with regard to the Shreddies. You could make it a "serial"!
lol I think I died a little after reading that  ;)

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 09:25:27 AM »
Will you bloody stop it?!?!?!?

When the heck did this happen!!!

Man... seriously! Have a bit of sympathy for us poor minds who cannot create such wonderful vistas in such a short amount of time. It is simply unfair to us! And let's not even forget the fact that I am currently painting up some models for a D&D board game, so this has just about fired up my imagination and I simply cannot have another side project to keep me from finishing my Frostgrave stuff.

I see these foam bases are pretty thin. Won't they warp? Or are you going to fix them unto something? How thick (in mm) are these pieces?

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 09:31:10 AM »
what a great project...I also have the airfix fountain and like you filled the bowl with PVA - once it dries it looks like water...albeit frozen

keep on with the good work Sir

Offline Harry

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 09:35:24 AM »
Thanks so much fellas, All your positive comments are much aappreciated.

:D Very good! ....although a little corny.

I'll get my coat.

This is such a cool project. I have Warhammer Quest with all expansions but only ever played it once, I didn't like the gameplay very much although the components were top-notch, of course.

BoardGameGeek has lots of user pics like yours if you need inspiration, but I assume you already checked those out :)
I have been looking at other folks tiles for a couple of weeks now just to get myself 'pumped'. :D

The game itself straight out of the box is not great ... gets a bit bogged down in combat BUT there is stuff you can do to make it great.

Great tiles. The 3d elements you have included really make the detail stand out. You also managed to get the line "these are some shreddies" making complete sense in a wargaming post which can't be easy.

Actually Shredded wheat works even better .... but I had run out of that.

Will you bloody stop it?!?!?!?

When the heck did this happen!!!

Man... seriously! Have a bit of sympathy for us poor minds who cannot create such wonderful vistas in such a short amount of time. It is simply unfair to us! And let's not even forget the fact that I am currently painting up some models for a D&D board game, so this has just about fired up my imagination and I simply cannot have another side project to keep me from finishing my Frostgrave stuff.

I see these foam bases are pretty thin. Won't they warp? Or are you going to fix them unto something? How thick (in mm) are these pieces?

Sorry. :D
This all happened last weekend.
I have managed to get another half a day in this weekend too. :D  ... so more progress soon.
They are 10mm thick. (Same thickness as Hirst art pieces mounted on 4mm board). They are mostly Ok .... but there is a bit of warping with the bigger bits ...especially when deeply cut on the one surface ... But I'll see how it goes.

what a great project...I also have the airfix fountain and like you filled the bowl with PVA - once it dries it looks like water...albeit frozen

keep on with the good work Sir

That does look a lot like ice. Planning to paint mine to look like water. It works really well ... the simple design seems to make it work even though it was designed for a completely different scale.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 10:34:23 AM by Harry »

Offline Harry

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 09:01:19 PM »
This is another room inspired by an a couple of old Scotia Grendel bits.

I just had these two bits .... don't even know if they produced more of these heaxagonal bits to make a cavern system .... but thought I could use them to make a little .magic pool' room ....

Offline Harry

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 09:08:59 PM »
Next I had a swing at one of the Warhammer Quest objective rooms ...