Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:13:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Crusader Miniatures New Sub-Romans  (Read 8306 times)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Crusader Miniatures New Sub-Romans
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 10:22:15 AM »
I love the Saxons Bill does, they're just right and some of the GB range are great figures for that too... it's the Britons. Most of the GB ones look 'odd' for some reason and the Footsore ones are a little too Roman. I want something suitable for the 7th Century Maes Cogwy - Chester - Penda of Mercia period, rather than 6th Century. Okay that's not quite 'Sub-Roman' perhaps.

I picture the Brits as being much less 'Roman' ans with a Saxon vibe creeping in. Most 'Arthurian' ranges are quite Roman and I do wonder if even by the start of the 6th Century if that would be the case.

:?     

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 01:16:41 PM »
I love the Saxons Bill does, they're just right and some of the GB range are great figures for that too... it's the Britons. Most of the GB ones look 'odd' for some reason and the Footsore ones are a little too Roman. I want something suitable for the 7th Century Maes Cogwy - Chester - Penda of Mercia period, rather than 6th Century. Okay that's not quite 'Sub-Roman' perhaps.

I picture the Brits as being much less 'Roman' ans with a Saxon vibe creeping in. Most 'Arthurian' ranges are quite Roman and I do wonder if even by the start of the 6th Century if that would be the case.

:?     

Gripping Beast Welsh  for Civitates type warbands? They were sculpted with info provided by Guy Halsal in mind.

Darrell.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 02:35:07 PM »
Gripping Beast Welsh  for Civitates type warbands? They were sculpted with info provided by Guy Halsal in mind.

Darrell.

I had some, but as I said above, I wasn't happy with them, they were 'odd', or something was 'off' with them, which is about as descriptive as I can get.

I might take the plunge with some Footsore Saxons (or Angles from my POV) and worry about the 'Welsh' later... it's not like the Northumbrians couldn't do with a good hiding from the Mercians.

;)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 08:00:49 PM »
I had some, but as I said above, I wasn't happy with them, they were 'odd', or something was 'off' with them, which is about as descriptive as I can get.

I might take the plunge with some Footsore Saxons (or Angles from my POV) and worry about the 'Welsh' later... it's not like the Northumbrians couldn't do with a good hiding from the Mercians.

;)

Just don't get any cavalry lol
And perhaps we should call the chaps from this era "Soldiers from the North West Isle". ;D
   Seriously though the GB figures do paint up okay,and are suitably generic.
I have actually done a fair bit of reading on the period; and I now know even less,as we are all aware most of our knowledge is post factum.Even histories laid down by the Church are variously inaccurate.So I believe,do what you like,within reason and look to the mythic/ heroic side.After all that's pretty much all we've got :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 08:13:10 PM by Blackwolf »
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 08:18:24 PM »

I know exactly what you mean. The original Gripping Beast ranges were superb. The second generation Gripping Beast ranges, where they brought in other sculptors, much more variable, and in some cases distinctly off in terms of anatomy and over-dynamic poses. And just more... Munchkin-like somehow. I'm going Musketeer / Footsore all the way for this period. My Germanic incomers are almost complete. Soon i'll be getting stuck into the British Kingdoms.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 08:25:41 PM »
Ah... it wasn't just me then. Yes they were caricatures rather than characters. Some of the oldest GB Saxons are excellent figures, but just not as 'hairy' as the Footsore ones., who do indeed look like they've had a rough crossing over the North Sea.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 11:51:55 PM »
Ah... it wasn't just me then. Yes they were caricatures rather than characters. Some of the oldest GB Saxons are excellent figures, but just not as 'hairy' as the Footsore ones., who do indeed look like they've had a rough crossing over the North Sea.

I'm sure Colin from Saxon Miniatures will re-visit the Saxons as well. His Romano British/Sub-Romans/Arthurians are superb!

Oh, and to return to the original thread. Crusader has announced at least 5 packs of Sub Roman cavalry. The lists are already on their website but alas no pictures yet.
Pic on their Facebook site https://www.facebook.com/pages/North-Star-Military-Figures/218634441498799
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 11:58:50 PM by WillieB »
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 12:51:54 AM »
Had they contracted jaundice would it have made them yellow sub-Romans?

Yellow card for you!
With goodwill to all and malice towards none...

http://dilettantegamer.blogspot.com/

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 04:27:09 PM »
Pics on the Crusader website now :

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 05:29:29 PM »
I like them but quite late Roman-esque,  no?

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2016, 05:55:23 PM »
They look very nice, I'm probably going to be adding them to my Dark Age forces  :). [ducks]
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2016, 05:56:06 PM »
FYI, Arthur - Your photos are not coming through

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2016, 06:27:07 PM »
I hotlinked the pics directly from the Crusader website and they appear just fine on my screen - it seems the previous posters can see them too. I'm no tech expert but I suspect a browser issue, unless the Crusader site is now blocking hotlinking.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2016, 06:34:02 PM »
I can see them.

They are indeed nice looking figures, but for some of them a voice in my head (one of many) is shouting "Helloo! 410AD called and they want their clothing back!" (especially those pill-box hats). Others are far more what I'd expect to see though.

;)

That being said I have no idea what the man about civitas would be wearing C.500 in comparison to his counterpart in C.400, but 100 years or so is a long time for things not to change.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2016, 06:58:46 PM »

That being said I have no idea what the man about civitas would be wearing C.500 in comparison to his counterpart in C.400, but 100 years or so is a long time for things not to change.

Might well have varied regionally too  ;) lol

Darrell.