Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:23:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690827
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Crusader Miniatures New Sub-Romans  (Read 8312 times)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Crusader Miniatures New Sub-Romans
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2016, 09:14:09 PM »
Indeed, certainly most ranges seem to follow the principle that the colder the region, the fewer clothes are worn. These guys with their substantial trousers, heavy cloaks and tunics are clearly from the South. If they were from the Welsh Mountains or Scottish Highlands, they'd be in night-shirts and 3/4 length trews... or so I gather from other ranges.

:D

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2016, 09:25:39 PM »
I can see them.

They are indeed nice looking figures, but for some of them a voice in my head (one of many) is shouting "Helloo! 410AD called and they want their clothing back!" (especially those pill-box hats). Others are far more what I'd expect to see though.
Exactly what I was thinking.

That being said I have no idea what the man about civitas would be wearing C.500 in comparison to his counterpart in C.400, but 100 years or so is a long time for things not to change.
Indeed.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2016, 11:54:11 PM »
Hmmm....not sure I'm that impressed with those as they don't give me anything that the established ranges don't already do. The odd figure here and there is cool (the armoured cavalry leader) but overall, if I was still buying for the period I'd go for Saxon Miniatures and Footsore as they are just so much better...

In fact, if either of those latter two companies produced a dedicated 6th-7th century set of 'Welsh' minis, I'd be far more tempted...

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2016, 12:45:46 AM »
I do like those, hopefully I'll get some painted.  Has Footsore released anything lately?  I remember a post not too long ago about orders not being shipped -which would a shame, great figures.  Saxon Miniatures are definitely a must for the period too, this discussion is making me itch to reread some Bernard Cornwell.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2016, 01:29:41 AM »
I must admit saw these and though wow there's some nice late Roman cavalry.But I think I may still buy some if there at Partizan .( there's no chance of me painting them before then anyway)
As for footsore I'd only pick them up in person.As Darrell and others keep mentioning them , I thought I'd pick a few up at York at the weekend to try to breath some life back into my stagnant  Late Romans on the Humber project.
They seem a little hit and miss on proportions and the casting quality was poor it seemed every time I picked up a pack there was something miss cast.
The Arthur is cast on to his horse and once out of its pack is almost a semi flat I'm more than aware of moulding constraints and how ever this figure will have to go in amongst an infantry stand it's just too flat to mix with other horse figures.His legs are too shot so lm going to have to resculpt them I would have bothered if when I turned the figure out of the foam his left foot was cast.
I only bought enough to do a command stand three packs in all two packs of two foot figures and the mounted Arthur and Standard. I'm not unrealistic when it comes to pricing but I think £21 for four foot figures and two mounted was a shock, charging the same for two character figure as a pack of four infantry is rich as there is nothing other than naming them any different to the quantity of metal.Espcially when you consider I could have got Foundrys Arthur command and eight foot figures for £20.

I was at first considering doing all my cavalry from this range,but if they can't get the quality right for show figure stocks then I hold no hope for mail order ,
If These Crusader figures have a constant quality of casting then I'd recommend like you wait until you can get your hands on these.
Mark

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2016, 04:41:19 AM »
Sub-Roman? I was quite excited expecting Innsmouth related legions  :D

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2016, 06:55:33 AM »
There are some useful individual figures in the Eureka Beowulf range. Not really a full range bur good for hero/ leader figures and most figures have both static and fighting poses.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2016, 01:11:54 PM »
If you give the cavalry additional archery equipment (and perhaps smaller shield) I think they would make very nice Early Byzantines.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:14:33 PM by delbruck »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2016, 02:12:58 PM »
They seem to be mounted on exactly the same (slightly shonky, slightly malformed) pony-horses used by Gripping Beast and Footsore.
They really are not very good equine sculpts - yet they seem to be de rigeur for Late Roman/Sub-Roman/early Dark Age cavalry across several manufacturers...  :?

What gives?  :-[

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2016, 02:20:30 PM »
I think it's an attempt to convey the somewhat smaller 'native' British horse-pony types (or a Blackpool donkey), rather than larger continental types. If so it's not really working is it?

:?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2016, 03:30:47 PM »
No. Not working. Not very good sculpts - wonky legs, missing ears, and badly cast.

But my point was why are several different manufacturers all offering their cavalry for this period on the same (not very good) set of horse sculpts?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2016, 04:45:42 PM »
No. Not working. Not very good sculpts - wonky legs, missing ears, and badly cast.

I've got a load of  equine mini's bought from Bill when he was still doing Musketeer and I have to say that the castings are excellent.

He did make his own molds  at the time, I'm not sure what the situation is with NS and Crusader.

Cheers,
Darrell.

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2016, 05:16:04 PM »
I have never purchased Crusader or Musketeer/Footsore  cavalry, but I was under the impression that both used Ebob horses.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2016, 05:49:49 PM »
I have never purchased Crusader or Musketeer/Footsore  cavalry, but I was under the impression that both used Ebob horses.

Yep, that is true. so do some Gripping Beast, Artizan Designs and First Corp models.

If I remember correctly the license to use the models was quite cheap at the time. I nearly bought one 'just in case'  :)

Darrell.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2016, 09:44:16 PM »
Darrell,
A lot of the 1st corps have had corrective surgery as and when requested,by Simon. ;)