Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:17:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Digital modelling  (Read 36715 times)

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
Re: Digital modelling
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2016, 04:11:45 AM »

I'm waiting on a book full of scale drawings of interwar military vehicles to arrive from bookdepository.com, and I thought while I wait, I'd whip up a quick Vickers Medium Mk.II. It would be simple and easy, I thought.

I was not entirely correct.

However, it's more or less done now; there are just a few more bits and bobs to add and then it'll be another one off to Shapeways.

It would be nice if I could actually afford to buy the stuff I'm designing. That would be really nice.

NOTE: It's now available in 15mm (1:100) scale for a measly twenty yankee dollars on Shapeways.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 06:23:36 AM by Fitz »

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2016, 10:00:51 AM »
If you need pics from Bovington they have events there, maybe you could find someone who's going to get you some pics?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 08:56:07 PM »
If you need pics from Bovington they have events there, maybe you could find someone who's going to get you some pics?

I see from their website that they're in the process of making their archives of photos and drawings available online, which will be a huge help.

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 09:57:16 PM »

Would you like to guess what this is for?

That controlled-scissors suspension turned out to be a bit of a nightmare to model because of the cast wheel-hoods. I'm sure there must be a better, more efficient way to do it.
Also, I'm not that happy with the tracks: they don't look fine enough. However, within the limitations of the 3d-printing process I'm not sure how much I can do about that.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 09:59:36 PM by Fitz »

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 10:04:11 PM »
...the side of this!!

:D :D :D

:P :P

..28mm I hope

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 10:16:51 PM »
Can I humbly suggest that the better one to do would be the Vickers Mk III model...not the Mk II. I just looked back and saw I was banging on about the Mk II...I meant Mk III.

The Mk II was a 1934+ vehicles and was deployed to Egypt/Palestine in 1936 and saw service in india and into WWII as well so it might have wider appeal and usability.

Your typical nice overview is here.
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/gb/Light_tank_MkI-II-III.php

This is a shot of a 6RTC Mk III vehicle in Egypt in 1936.

Before you commit..I think the Mk III is better vehicle to model.... ;) ;)

Great to see your skills at work here..

Happier Wanderer

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 11:36:51 PM »
In fact, it's the running gear for the Carden Loyd Light Tank Mk.VIII, the progenitor of Vickers' line of light tanks after they acquired the firm. I decided to start with that because (a) I already have drawings for it, and (b) because it shares many components (from a modeling perspective) with the later tanks, so I can reuse elements I've already constructed.

The Vickers Light Mk.II uses pretty much the whole hull and running gear, with a new superstructure. The Mk.III needs the improved Horstman suspension, and some additional changes to the Mk.II's superstructure.

I figure if I build them in chronological order, it should simplify matters considerably.

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2016, 03:33:44 AM »
"I figure if I build them in chronological order, it should simplify matters considerably."

Well, if you're talking about building them in chronological order then you'll have the defining British interwar line of vehicles...no one else will touch you...

...go for it!...great work.  ;D

HW

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2016, 08:51:28 AM »

Well. it's finished and up on Shapeways, but for some reason their render hasn't reproduced all the rivet detail. I shall have to do a bit of tweaking, I guess, though since I have no idea why, I'll be flailing about in the dark a bit.

Edit:
I bumped up the size of the rivets, which did the trick — I originally sized them by eye, and failed to take into account just how tiny these vehicles were. In close-up, rivets you can actually see make it look like it's covered in tennis balls :)

« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 10:39:48 AM by Fitz »

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2016, 12:35:58 PM »
"Well. it's finished and up on Shapeways"

Got a link?

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2016, 08:14:57 PM »
http://shpws.me/LJQE

This is only in 15mm scale at the moment. I can re-size it easily enough for 28mm if you want — that would be 1:56 scale?

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2016, 08:25:35 PM »
Not my genre but impressive nonetheless  :)

When 3D Print began a mere few years ago

It's been around since the early eighties but obviously not in the commercial form we see it in now.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2016, 09:52:49 PM »
This is only in 15mm scale at the moment. I can re-size it easily enough for 28mm if you want — that would be 1:56 scale?

I would imagine that there would be a few takers in 20mm, although whether that is 1/72 or 1/76 nowadays I couldn't say... anyone?

It does however look excellent... but wasn't it the Mark I which had the round turret? The only difference as far as I know (which is not much) between the II and III was the running gear, the extended rectangular turret seems common to both.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 10:03:07 PM by Arlequín »

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2016, 10:17:58 PM »
That is a lovely model and I suspect the VBCW crowd will find a use for this fella so 1/56 would be ideal.

How much for 1/56 for something like this? Looking forward to seeing your Vickers MKIII light tank.

It looks like you are getting the hang of all this...keep up the good work.

Cheers

Happy W

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2016, 11:02:59 PM »
That is a lovely model and I suspect the VBCW crowd will find a use for this fella so 1/56 would be ideal.

How much for 1/56 for something like this? Looking forward to seeing your Vickers MKIII light tank.

1/56 version is available now at http://shpws.me/LKgZ. It starts at about $19 in WSF plastic, and goes up to about a gajillion bucks for the super-duper-ultra-detail resin.