Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:44:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ealing enspired Pulp.1st vehicles added 30/06  (Read 27089 times)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: 1st concept sculpt for Ealing enspired Pulp.
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2016, 07:44:15 AM »
Brilliant! As has been said, that hound is stunning! :o

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2016, 07:59:10 AM »
Brill. If that bloodhound comes on the market, I'm buying.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 11:42:31 PM »
I'm glad you like the blood hound.Heres a couple of pictures of it based along side the figures for scale.The figure in glasses is 25.5mm (foot to eye).
Mark.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 08:34:18 AM »
Looking great, when can we buy them?

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 08:36:26 AM »
Like the "on duty" cuff rings, very rarely seen on 28mm figures...
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 09:55:57 AM »
Wow! Those sculpts are the dogs b@#%*+ks! Literally!

Are you thinking of casting them?

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 06:44:45 PM »
I really like all these sculpts, although the female pilot is dear to my heart.  I have to say, however, that she could easily pass as a male.  I think when sculpting females something has to tell the viewer that she is obviously a she.  Usually boobs and hips pull this off, but if not boobs and hips, then she needs feminine hair or clothes.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 08:02:21 PM »
I think she looks fine. The face is a bit fine so the sculpt has something of an androgynous feel to it, but you can push that to female in the painting.

The thing is, in real life, women's bodies in heavy gear, armour, etc, are often indistinguishable from small slim males. The sculpt is fine.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2016, 08:19:18 PM »
The thing is, in real life, women's bodies in heavy gear, armour, etc, are often indistinguishable from small slim males. The sculpt is fine.

I agree - it's a very good and realistic sculpt.  I just think that at 28mm scale we need extra cues of femininity.  She's Amy Johnson, right?

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2016, 10:18:10 PM »
I was wondering if anyone would notice !
I live in Hull,I'm doing a British Thirties inspired range,and starting with a test piece of a female pilot.who on earth else would Spring to mind,but Amy lol

If your expecting these figures not to be anything but accurate,(styling aside).Then Its unlikely Im the sculpter for you..I will not be sculpting Jessica Rabbit in a Flying helmet :D
This sculpt as stated will not be in the range its 33mm tall and has already gone to a new home.I will be resculpting her in 28mm.

I won't be changing anything on her as a flight suit is as already mentioned an androgynous functional piece of kit.At the moment it's slightly out of context as its intended as part of a multi figure set and obviously not every figure will be in a flight suit nor will they be 36DD in a low cut shirt.There will be another Amy inspired figure with in the set though.

I've been planning this range for quite sometime ,and through other threads on the forum, I've taken note of the suggestions of real life characters from the period.Infact Fram's suggestions will make up an entire Soldiers of fortune set.
I've no objections to suggestions for a miniature ,and at the risk of getting my own thread high jacked  ;D feel free to add your own.

I'm more than happy to listen to anyone's musings on the sculpts.Just keep an open mind (and not a late 20th early 21st century one) as this range will bare little resemblance to anything else ,as its a personal project falling out of a ramshackle ,Heath Robinson of a mind.Rather than a range to please the masses.

In short it's going to be very odd and very English (because that's me ;))

So keep the faith chaps as the next of the blocks is a 4 to 5 piece flock of sheep And I do mean flock  :D
Mark.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2016, 10:23:49 PM »
Not to put the kibosh on a budding project, but just FYI there are cheap sheep available already in many places. I bought the Pegasus 1/48 box, myself.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2016, 10:29:18 PM »
Superb Will Hay and the gang, Mother riley next?

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2016, 11:53:40 PM »
 ;) Fram flock,not sheep,so dont worry
Just as it is law in America that every high speed chase through the back streets of a city will be punctuated by Dustbin lorrys which are unable to move forward at speed once any vehicle with flashing lights screaches to a halt next to it,
So be it in England that any high speed chase not performed it techni colour will be inturpted by one or all of the following.
A hay laiden horse drawn wagon.
A steam roller
A flock of sheep(often requiring a narrow bridge)
A detour through a farm yard and or barn.
A field gate of unsound workmanship
Or
A Duck pond.

So I'll be making everything but a Duck pond.
This range will have its own vehicles.
Its not going to be anything but odd,
Yes theres room for a washer woman and her daughter.(since he was laid to rest in Hull,its always been a possible figure,holding a skillit or a flat iorn though?)
Mark,

« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 12:11:31 AM by tin shed gamer »

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2016, 12:24:57 AM »
I will be resculpting her in 28mm.

I won't be changing anything on her as a flight suit is as already mentioned an androgynous functional piece of kit.At the moment it's slightly out of context as its intended as part of a multi figure set and obviously not every figure will be in a flight suit nor will they be 36DD in a low cut shirt.There will be another Amy inspired figure with in the set though.

I'm simply suggesting that Amy looks better with her hair showing.   :)

Anyway, Hinterland customers are always asking me to do a set of female pilots of the era, so I'm sure any resurections of Amy, or any of her ilk, will be well received.  I'll be on the eager lookout for them.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2016, 07:40:34 AM »
The Amy figure already has a wisp of hair on the right hand side of her face,That's why her helmet doesn't look symmetrical.She is nevertheless accurate for the way she is portrayed in the period.I fully understand your point ,and take it in the spirit it was intended ,However it's not how she was represented.
As in this screen shot Amy's hair is cut short and isn't allowed to fall on to her face .It simply isn't the vogue or practical.Even her official memorial statue is in full flying garb.In England there is a distinction made in art between Amy the pilot and Amy the woman.As mentioned I will be doing a second Amy inspired figure ,to represent this division,As I've mentioned I'm intent on avoiding modern interpretations on the depiction of people.Otherwise I'm just making the same figures as everyone else.
Whilst there are some well sculpted miniatures representing pulp characters available ,They don't for me represent the feel or the way I like to play pulp.I use steam powered land trains,worn out seaplanes,and costal puffers/fishing boats.
As Fram can confirm I often make figures with no commercial incentive and give them away ,If I'm not being commissioned for commercial miniatures ,Then I sculpt what I'd like and need. I've no interest in these being a commercial success I'm not planning to retire of them lol I've offers to cast this range blind.so I've no out lay other than time and clay.
I'm just planning on making the figures I want to game with,and if no one else wants them then I'm going to have a very unique table :D.But it's unlikely to head that way as the Amy figure alone has an advance order large enough that I could have had a mould made privately and not be out of pocket.
Mark.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 08:38:19 AM by tin shed gamer »