Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:21:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Classic Space Hulk blog  (Read 14262 times)

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
    • Small Scale Operations Blog, my wargaming blog
Classic Space Hulk blog
« on: February 06, 2016, 09:46:12 PM »

Hello everybody.

I know its been a long time since my last post. And though I have not posted, progress was made on various projects. I will show you pictures, that's a promise. ^^

One thing that I did do a short time before Christmas last year was starting a massive Space Hulk collection.
That's right, Games Workshop's old board game classic. While the game has gone through four reincarnations since its first release in 1989 I didn't want any of the recent versions. What I wanted though was huge: everything ever released for Space Hulk 1st edition in good condition and all scenarios that were ever printed somewhere. I found a compendium that Berthold Nüchter compiled and it speaks of a grand total of 81 (76 if you don't have two core sets) missions that were released in White Dwarf issues over the years or different books, to include mission books of the other editions of the core game.
With the "Deathwing" expansion pack arriving two days ago I now have everything ever released for this all time classic.
Since I own two core sets, I have plenty of Terminators to fiddle around with and so I will in the end start painting some to expand my Rogue Trader Crimson Fists army and the other half will be Blood Angels. The latter were the Space Marines mentioned in most campaigns (though there was the obvious Dark Angels "Deathwing" campaign and some Space Wolves missions and some minor Ultramarine or Imperial Fist stories plus missions in White Dwarf and the expansion book "Space Hulk: Campaigns"). I would like to play through all 81 mission with the Blood Angels.

So, my overall ebay and store haul was:

A programmable digital timer to replace the hourglass
1st Edition Space Hulk core set (German)
1st Edition Space Hulk core set (English)
1st Edition expansion pack "Deathwing" (2x)
1st Edition expansion pack "Genestealers"
1st Edition expansion set "Campaigns" (hard cover book)
2nd Edition core game's missions book (because of two more campaigns for the Blood Angels)
3rd Edition rules (just to see the differences) and mission book
3rd Edition complete marker and tokens set (1st edition lacks some of the newer+handy tokens)
all UK White Dwarfs that had missions and expansion rules and/or card sections for Space Hulk:
WD #147
WD #149
WD #158
WD #197
WD #199
WD #201
WD #203

I was able to get most of the games in unpunched condition, miniatures still on sprues. All WD issues had their card sections still untouched. The expansion packs aren't missing a single piece. What can I say? A happy man I am ^^

Like my Rogue Trader army shows, I am in love with GW's old stuff. The miniatures of those lost days are having their own charm and all it needs is some dedication to show it once you paint your figures.

So without any further delay I present (a little conversion)

Brother Leon

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Classic Space Hulk blog
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 09:52:05 PM »
Very nicely painted and quite the collection  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
  • Old school gamer since 1990!
    • Oldhammer 40k
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 10:03:29 PM »
Beautiful miniature mate! What colours did you use to achieve that traditional Blood Angel paint scheme? It looks amazing!!!!

I too own all of the above Space Hulk items (not the German stuff though) and I love them! It's what got me into the hobby in 1990!!!
Check out my blog for all things 30k, 40k, Oldhammer and tutorials:
http://classicastartes.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 10:10:54 PM »
New minigun and ammo pack on the old guy works well. Not too enamoured with the ammo feed but don't think I could have done it any better. I'm looking for these oldies as well, but I think I will have to do with my newer (but not the newest) Space Hulk, if and when I find enough old Terminators that is as they all seem to have been lost. Got bucketfulls of Genestealers though :)

Looking forward to reading up on your future exploits!
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 10:30:04 PM »
New minigun and ammo pack on the old guy works well. Not too enamoured with the ammo feed but don't think I could have done it any better. I'm looking for these oldies as well, but I think I will have to do with my newer (but not the newest) Space Hulk, if and when I find enough old Terminators that is as they all seem to have been lost. Got bucketfulls of Genestealers though :)

Looking forward to reading up on your future exploits!

Thank you, Johan. The ammo feed was tricky. I might have had to shorten it a bit. Too late.  lol

Beautiful miniature mate! What colours did you use to achieve that traditional Blood Angel paint scheme? It looks amazing!!!!

I too own all of the above Space Hulk items (not the German stuff though) and I love them! It's what got me into the hobby in 1990!!!

I actually totally went with the tutorial from the lastes Space Hulk that was posted on Tale Of Painters. It works not only on 4th edition.  :D

Very nicely painted and quite the collection  8)

cheers

James

Thanks, James.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 06:24:50 AM »
Is the ammo feed a small railroad track?
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Stu

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 06:38:18 AM »
I like the ammo feed it is a stand out feature of the miniature.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 06:45:49 AM »
Nicely done!  8) Your wee guy brings back some memories! I've got to admit I love the newer version SH models. I got it the first time it was supposed to be a limited edition! >:(

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 07:47:16 AM »
Is the ammo feed a small railroad track?

No. It's the rotary cannon set from Forgeworld's Horus Heresy models, mate. The feed is part of the kit. It takes forever and lots of warm water to carfully bend it to shape in order to fit the backpack and gun in the correct angle.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 10:57:26 AM »
Wow, what a haul! I've got some serious, erm, dead tree envy now.
Leon looks good.
I only got in on the whole GW hobby in 2nd edition, but the old Rogue Trader era stuff has always held a great appeal to me. (I should really dig out my stash of RT goodies and finally do something with it...someday soon. Still can't decide on a chapter for my beakies.)

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 12:06:11 PM »
I've recently been going through my old Space Hulk stuff and have trawled Ebay for more Traitor Terminators. Looks like you probably spent quite a bit to gather together that lot. I was looking for the Campaigns book but having collected all the old White Dwarfs I've got everything in it anyway now. I'm tempted to go 3D in the future as well. I've also been assembling plastic beakies to fit with the 4 squad types listed in the power armour marine lists.

Great conversion on the placcy marine. Seen a few assault cannon conversions of these models and yours is definitely one of the best. Any plans to convert other weapon systems with these models?

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 08:56:38 PM »
Absolutely marvelous. Lovely stuff! :-*

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
    • Sean's Gaming and Shooting Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 06:00:36 PM »
That Termie looks fantastic. 

I love that game.  Thanks for sharing.
The winning player isn't always the better player.

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 09:24:47 PM »
Thank you very much.  8)

Small update on my Space Hulk Blood Angels and another conversion - if you want to call attaching a hacked-to-shape close combat attachment from my Rogue Trader plastics "conversion" ^^

Chainfist toting Brother Valencio:

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 09:29:13 PM »
I'd call that a conversion, a successful one at that. Valencio looks good!