Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:46:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686552
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: LAF Game of Thrones Compendium Thread  (Read 82877 times)

Offline wminsing

• Assistant
Re: LAF Game of Thrones Compendium Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 03:33:41 PM »
Thanks for putting this thread together; I think I'm biting the bullet on my GOT project this year and tons of great inspiration here!

-Will

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 10:26:51 AM »
Not sure where this would sit, but I have been pondering a simple campaign mechanism for creating battles and scenarios for my Westerosi.
My basis is to develop a stylised route map with rivers and coastline included but I have hit a wall (not THE wall), but GRRM's refusal to quote distances. My other attempts at campaign maps have broken down the geography into days' marches between key points so you can recreate 'calling the banners' and mustering forces to get a simplified strategic understanding of moving forces around to recreate conflict between the factions and houses.
How do you guys do this? I've found the LR/DR scenarios are ok up to a point, but I kinda want to go a step further...
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 08:16:07 AM »
Unfortunately, this wonderful compendium of creative interpretations of the world of A Song of Ice and Fire in miniature, has been adversely affected by the meltdown in Photobucket - a sweeping and indiscriminate act of grand commercial extortion and cultural vandalism worthy of the Iron Bank of Braavos  ;)

So some of the glorious threads referenced out from here, are now missing all their lovely eye candy inspiration  :'(

A plea therefore... If you still have your original pics that were formerly hosted on Photobucket, can you please repost them in the appropriate pages of your GoT thread either as direct downloads, or remotely hosted elsewhere.

You can use the LAF gallery facility to host images of your toys and models if you like - you don't need to be a supporting member to set up an LAF gallery these days.

I appreciate it's a tedious and time-consuming pain in the butt to have to go back, find, re-host and reload dozens of pictures. But without the eye candy, quite a lot of the value and inspiration in this whole endeavour is lost.

So please - if you can find a spare couple of hours. Why not dedicate them to rebuilding the imagery in your GoT threads, like restoring a beautiful picture  :)

Thanks.

Richard / Captain Blood

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 08:18:26 AM »
Good for me I upload to my own server space.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 11:32:21 AM »
As something of a technophobe  :?, I'd only just about grasped the image insertion-thingy before the PB/Iron Bank clampdown. Most of my images were less eye candy and more pretty dire w.i.p. shots.
I've been feeling the peer pressure too.
However, I will soldier on and try and finish off units/factions in the wake of a comprehensive reorganisation so I can post new images in due course. A recent advance in years celebration has left me with a fresh tide of plastic to convert into Westerosi, so I'm feeling the pressure to crack on again...

Offline Thomas Thomas

• Student
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 04:32:30 PM »
My wife just led her Stannis/Melisandra army to victory in our Knights and Knaves tournament (part of the Good the Bad and the Ugly world wide event).  Many players were playtesting new armies from the upcoming Olde World Edition but she was using an old Fire and Ice Edition army.

(Olde World covers Europe in roughly the Hundred Years War era and a Fantasy version based on the Olde World.  Fire and Ice covers the War of the Roses with a fantasy version).

Anyway - great to see GOT style armies sweeping all before them.  If I could figure out how to attach pictures on this forum I'd put in some shots from the event.

Thomas J. Thomas
Fame and Glory Games

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2018, 01:11:35 AM »
Are the mods aware that all these links are now broken as a result of the server move?
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2018, 07:30:52 AM »
Ah, thanks. No, I wasn’t aware. I will try to fix when I have time. Thanks for thoe tip...

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2018, 10:28:29 AM »
No problemo.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2018, 10:36:29 AM »
Don't bother doing mine again, there's nothing to see  ;)

I'll start a new one soon enough though.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2018, 11:00:32 AM »
Okay, I could go in and remake all the links manually, but it's an issue across the site where people have linked out to other LAF topics, so a more systematic fix will be looked for where the old .de links are given. Bear with us for a few days...  :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2018, 09:53:18 AM »
I've updated the compendium index with a few of the more recently posted GOT / ASOIAF projects here on LAF.

If you have a miniatures project based on the works of GRR Martin which you are charting / sharing here on LAF, and you'd like it added to the compendium, please PM me to let me know. Otherwise I'll only get round to adding them once I spot them - which can sometimes take a few weeks or even months with the sheer volume of content that gets posted on LAF these days.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2019, 12:03:37 PM »
I have been pondering a simple campaign mechanism for creating battles and scenarios for my Westerosi.
My basis is to develop a stylised route map with rivers and coastline included but I have hit a wall (not THE wall), but GRRM's refusal to quote distances. My other attempts at campaign maps have broken down the geography into days' marches between key points so you can recreate 'calling the banners' and mustering forces to get a simplified strategic understanding of moving forces around to recreate conflict between the factions and houses.
How do you guys do this? I've found the LR/DR scenarios are ok up to a point, but I kinda want to go a step further...
I'm still pondering this one, since GRRM's broad brush approach is fine and dandy for the storyline but the resultant maps, like those for Tolkien's Middle Earth, are only really good for larger strategic play. Most of us I imagine have smaller forces for more localised actions. Allegiances to the factions in the civil wars would aggravate long term border disputes between neighbours and the like which seems an area ripe for game play. Has anyone else developed a simple campaign system for their more local grudge matches beyond selecting one off scenarios from LR/DR and the like?

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2019, 02:39:41 PM »
I'm willing to help thinking, as I may need a certain system for exact the same reason! I'm getting back to my Westeros stuff (or actually, more like starting over)
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2019, 02:56:21 PM »
I'm willing to help thinking, as I may need a certain system for exact the same reason!
By the old gods and the new, Lord Odo!, I thought I couldn't be the only one out there thinking this... I've been concentrating so much on the miniatures I haven't sat down and pondered how I was to pit the factions against each other! I don't believe there's enough accuracy/detail in the maps to do the traditional hex based system, but maybe a simpler DBA style web/network showing the main routes between settlements and indicating relative distances is possible, with perhaps the underlying terrain affecting terrain selection on the table. There appear to have been some interesting discussions among the boardgame geekers which we could adapt to a miniatures-based game... https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1963083/lets-build-campaign-mode-map-and-upgrades
Plus in my case it will help generate scenarios for solo games