Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:10:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690801
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (Commerical) 28mm Roman Gladiators - New Range From Kingsford Miniatures  (Read 6449 times)

Offline Sturmpioneer

• Librarian
    • http://www.kingsfordminiatures.org
That's right! Along with a few bits and bobs for the Samurai range, we are now adding our second range of 28mm metal figures: Gladiators from the Roman Arenas! The first release is made up of four figures, either sold singly or in a pack of four. Included in this first release is a Retiarius, Secutor, Murmillo and a Thraex.
These excellently designed figures bring back the glories that was Rome in a a convenient 28mm size! Useful for roleplaying, skirmish gaming, and compatible with some of the newest gladiator rulesets out there. These figures show crisp edges and intricate detail. A delight to paint and collect. We aim to do two more releases, each made up of four figures this year. Should demand support it, we may add ring side and other interesting and unique pieces to the range. The packs of four will retail for $31.99 CAD and singles $9.99 CAD.
You can order them here www.kingsfordminiatures.org

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 11:51:04 AM by Mad Doc Morris »
Makers of 28mm Samurai!
www.kingsfordminiatures.org

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Re: 28mm Roman Gladiators - New Range From Kingsford Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 10:55:23 AM »
The sculpting is nice but why are their legs so short and stumpy? Their legs look the same length as their arms.

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
Re: (Commerical) 28mm Roman Gladiators - New Range From Kingsford Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 10:16:41 PM »
Huh, legs seem fine to me, and the sculpting style looks pretty compatible with Crusader, which is what I've already got, so I can see myself grabbing up a few of these.

Glad to see the scissori coming up soon, and hope to see some more of the rarer types like crupellarius, dimachaerus, and such.

Offline Sturmpioneer

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 11:54:37 PM »
Thank-you for the kind words.  The crupellarius will be in the third set I believe.  He won't be the usual depiction of a guy with a bucket on his head either!  The dimachaerus is considered rare?  I did not know that!

Offline mass.mosc

• Student
    • leadaddicted blog
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 10:45:31 AM »
They are very nice, historically accurate and looks good. I will buy all of them when the set is complete, because of shipment cost and custom taxes.

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 03:44:49 AM »
The dimachaerus is considered rare?  I did not know that!

Maybe only in the range of available miniatures? I don't think they're as rare as the others mentioned, but I don't see too many compared to myrmillo, sector, threax, etc.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 06:44:32 PM by Whitwort Stormbringer »

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 01:45:38 PM »
Maybe only in the range of available miniatures? I don't think they're as rare as the others mentioned, but I don't see too many compared to myrmillo, sector, thread, etc.

It is possible ( but no one knows for sure) that becoming a Dimacheirus was some sort of ' reward' or 'promotion'. And indeed not many illustrations compared to others. Then again same goes for a Crupppelarius or a Scissor/Arbelas.

The Secutor, Murmillo and Retiarius look good. The arm of the Thraex looks huge but that may be due to the picture. Also, if the shields are separate as I presume I'll replace his parma with a much smaller one.
But the overall detail looks very nice and they are on the Salute list now.
Particularly like the scale armour!

Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Sturmpioneer

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 02:14:53 AM »
Yes, the shields are separate as are some of the arms.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 06:47:33 PM »
The range looks okay.  I wouldn't say I'm in love with the sculpts, but they do look historically accurate which is nice.  It is true that the dimachaerus does not show up as often in text/image/etc.  More important than the gladiator was the pairing.  While they existed no one is quite sure what they faced (possibly other dimachaerii?).  The pairing system was very crucially developed.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 11:22:32 PM »
The only- text- pairing I know of pitted a Dimacheirus against a Hoplomachus, but there must have been other opponents.
The strict paring of the early years wasn't adhered to so much later on with for example a single Retiarius 'paired' against 2 Secutors. Anything for a good show I guess.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 05:45:51 PM »
In the retiarius vs. two secutors, I thought he was usually on a pontus with a pile of stones at his disposal.  I actually gamed that with Blood on the Sands a while back:

:D

Offline Sturmpioneer

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 06:01:55 AM »
Just posting an update (finally) to mention that the scissor figure has been added to the shop.  Things got a bit delayed with real life but the plan is still to make 5 or 6 more gladiator types.  He's a slight multipart in that the blade must be glued into the hand.