Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:45:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dissolving superglue?  (Read 4028 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Dissolving superglue?
« on: December 12, 2008, 11:53:17 AM »
Hi

Is there any way to dissolve the superglue used to glue a mini to a washer, without stripping the paint off the mini? The washer has the hole to perhaps go that way?

I have bought 5 victorian brits in home service uniform that I would like to rebase on smaller bases - they are standing with weapon shouldered, and I would like them be able to stand slightly closer... (I also would like to expand the group - I must find out where to get them...  ;D  )
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Dissolving superglue?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 11:58:52 AM »
The best way to get them off the base is to get 2 pairs of pliers (points ones) and grip either side of the washer and bend Charles Atlas style.

What is surprising is that in most if not all the slightest bend in the coin/washer and the figure pops off the base. 

I would however recommend that you do this over a cushion so that it doesnt ping onto the florr and damage the mini. 

I have done this with lots of mine when chengeing from single to multi basing...your hands do suffer a bit with the force you have to put on it though

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 12:00:45 PM »
I've never tried disolving superglue, but I have found a strong, thick blade with a nice (but not too thin) edge can get in between where most things have been glued down with superglue and pop them off.

I prefer what I think is the curved #2 blade for this task (not sure, I get confused easily!) but it is the 6th from the left in this picture:

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 12:04:31 PM »
I would however recommend that you do this over a cushion so that it doesnt ping onto the florr and damage the mini. 

lol

I hadn't thought of bending the washer - it's actually what i do when rebasing from slottas to washers (yeah, yeah, I said I wouldn't start doing that, but... )

The blade thing might work, too. I'd recommend using protective goggles, though, as the blase just might break.....

Online JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 12:17:14 PM »
You can also get Superglue de-bonder. Our local Poundland sells packs of glue with it included. I thought maybe if you could apply it sparingly before popping the mini off with a blade, it might make things easier.

Mind you, I don't know if it works once the glue's been dry for a while. Maybe it only works on skin.  ???

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 12:17:20 PM »

lol

I hadn't thought of bending the washer - it's actually what i do when rebasing from slottas to washers (yeah, yeah, I said I wouldn't start doing that, but... )

The blade thing might work, too. I'd recommend using protective goggles, though, as the blase just might break.....

I have used knives in the past and as you said the blade shoots off and can get lost on the floor - I now do that outside so it doesnt get stuck where kiddies can be hurt.

I also have a few war wounds from blades slipping ;D

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 01:03:27 PM »
I can't say I've ever had the blade come out of the knife handle when I'm doing this, and I must have done it hundreds of times.  I've had cheap, thin blades break, which is why I tend to use thicker blades now.

However, all safety advice regarding knives is good advice! But my sister does occasionally run with sissors, just because now she's a grown up, she can! ;)

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 09:49:55 AM »
I know that Coke is supposed to work, although i have never tried it as i have debonder.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 09:53:24 AM »
I know that Coke is supposed to work, although i have never tried it as i have debonder.

Wouldn't surprise me....  lol

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 07:31:04 AM »
Acetone. Made to break the superglue bond. If you have a female human in your life, she probably has some fingernail polish remover.  That contains acetone.  Or you could use an x-acto knife and have a go.  Don't lose a finger...
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 10:35:29 AM »
Acetone. Made to break the superglue bond. If you have a female human in your life, she probably has some fingernail polish remover.  That contains acetone.  Or you could use an x-acto knife and have a go.  Don't lose a finger...

I'm just a little nervous about letting acetone anywhere near a painted mini that I don't want to strip entirely  ;)

Offline sgf

• Schoolboy
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 04:25:58 PM »
Remember that Alpha cyanocrylick(super glue) glue is a crystaline glue, actually forms tiny crystals as it dries which form the bond, as with any crystal the "pull apart" strength is tremendous however it is subject to fracture. That being sid a sharp rap will shatter the bond with an exacto blade.  Acetone(fingernail polish remover) is a good debonder. Regards, Steve

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 01:10:29 PM »

Wouldn't surprise me....  lol

Right now I'm trying to clean a meat-pin (that I use for cleaning the nozzle of my superglue) in a coke-bath.

Let's see how that turns out  :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 02:22:15 PM »
well, coke did not do the job - acetone however, turns the glue into a fine powder settling on the bottom of the container.

So much for cleaning the nozzle-cleaner - I'm still a little reluctant to use acetone to remove a painted mini from its base...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 02:49:07 PM »
well, coke did not do the job - acetone however, turns the glue into a fine powder settling on the bottom of the container.

So much for cleaning the nozzle-cleaner - I'm still a little reluctant to use acetone to remove a painted mini from its base...
perhaps a low odour artists thinner though expensive if you dont have so and it doesnt work.

The acetone will damage the mini as it evaporates so be careful