Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:17:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pirate Zombies, or Zombie Pirates?  (Read 7532 times)

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Pirate Zombies, or Zombie Pirates?
« on: January 18, 2007, 06:30:47 PM »
Anyway, when Under the Black Flag comes out, will there be undead pirates rules included? If not, if might make a nice freebie on the website, hint hint...

I'm really looking for an excuse to start this kinda force, so please! Help a fella out!! :roll:

Offline Mo

• Mad Scientist
    • Oddman Productions
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 03:30:24 AM »
From what I'm hearing UBF will not delve into the supernatural. I bet we could convince Pete to do something with Undead Pirates if we whine and beg enough though.

:D

Marc
Fantastic Worlds: Pulp Action in the Far Reaches of Space
http://oddmanproductions.com

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 01:13:08 PM »
You've got a couple of options.

1. Beg and plead to have zombie pirates included. Bribes are acceptable.

2. Use the regular character and crew stats for your zombies.

3. Import the zombie rules from Amazing War Stories and mix with the pirate rules.

4. Send me bribes anyway.

Personally, I think zombies are entirely appropriate with pirates, but the rulebook will keep on the human-only vein.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 02:31:58 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
Personally, I think zombies are entirely appropriate with pirates, but the rulebook will keep on the human-only vein.

Hear hear! Good thing that you stick to your sod. I donīt know whatīs the problem with people not wanting to tweak rules for non-tournament games themselves, relying on the authors to do all the work.

Then again, I like Zombie pirates as much as the next man. :D

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 03:01:35 PM »
Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"

Hear hear! Good thing that you stick to your sod. I donīt know whatīs the problem with people not wanting to tweak rules for non-tournament games themselves, relying on the authors to do all the work.

It might be laziness, or it might be a fear that they're doing something wrong. I understand laziness (oh do I ever!) but I don't understand being afraid. Try things out! Are you happy with how they work? Are your friends happy with how they work? Then hooray! Even tournament game rules can be tweaked among friends.

Offline The Shadow

• Student
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 05:58:49 PM »
Note from Pete: I meant to reply to The Shadow and ended up editing his post instead. My mistake. It's not intentional censorship--do not attribute to conspiracy what can be attributed to stupidity.

Ed, we've had this discussion before on TMP, HLSS, and the Gloire group. Your position is known. Arguments for combining fantasy and classical pulp elements have been made and you disagree with them. We are not going to cover any new ground, so we're not having this discussion.[/b]

Offline The Shadow

• Student
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 09:21:09 PM »
Quote from: "The Shadow"
Note from Pete: I meant to reply to The Shadow and ended up editing his post instead. My mistake. It's not intentional censorship--do not attribute to conspiracy what can be attributed to stupidity.

Ed, we've had this discussion before on TMP, HLSS, and the Gloire group. Your position is known. Arguments for combining fantasy and classical pulp elements have been made and you disagree with them. We are not going to cover any new ground, so we're not having this discussion.[/b]

I'm totally confused.  Are you saying that you're not going to allow my post in this forum?

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 10:07:07 PM »
Quote from: "The Shadow"

I'm totally confused.  Are you saying that you're not going to allow my post in this forum?

There are two separate points I want to make.

1. I accidentally deleted your post instead of replying to it. Honest Indian, it was a mistake. If I could restore it, I would. I can't. If you feel compelled to retype it, go ahead. That will represent the Last Word on the subject.

2. We're not launching into an extended discussion over whether or not fantasy elements are suitable in swashbuckling games in general because I don't see us covering any new ground that hasn't been covered the last five times we had this argument.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 11:42:43 PM »
Kind of a snippy bunch today, aren't we? Sorry i asked...

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 12:22:06 AM »
Quote from: "LeadAsbestos"
Kind of a snippy bunch today, aren't we? Sorry i asked...

1.) Pete had to drive to NEw Jersey on Friday. I live in New Jersey. If you've ever had to drive on our roads, you'd be snippy too.

:)

2.) To provide a follow-up answer on the Pirate Zombie question. Lead Asbestos---I am running a .45 Adventure game at Cold Wars that will include some Zombie Pirates. Some time after Cold Wars (and probably close to the release of Under the Black Flag), I will be putitng up the stats for them on the website and will do a Gloire version as well (after Pete gets a chance to tweak them). So, yes, there will be Pirate Zombies as a fun little aside to the Gloire game.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline The Shadow

• Student
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 01:05:05 AM »
[quote="PeteMurray1. I accidentally deleted your post instead of replying to it. Honest Indian, it was a mistake. If I could restore it, I would. I can't. If you feel compelled to retype it, go ahead. That will represent the Last Word on the subject.

2. We're not launching into an extended discussion over whether or not fantasy elements are suitable in swashbuckling games in general because I don't see us covering any new ground that hasn't been covered the last five times we had this argument.[/quote]

There is no argument.  There is a question.  The question is "why"?

I never said that fantasy elements shouldn't be introduced to Swashbuckling games because they are "unsuitable".  In fact, in our discussion at the "Gloire" Yahoo site, I said that Solomon Kane would fit just fine in the genre.  What I *did* say however, was that I could do without an entire expansion introducing supernatural elements to a swashbuckling game because supernatural elements are relatively unusual in swashbuckling films and literature and that a very little of the supernatural would go a long way in "Gloire".  So yes, that angle *has* been discussed.  You just misinterpreted my position on the matter.

...and I still don't see any argument.

As for zombies and pirates; zombies certainly fit in the picture as zombies are best known as a Caribbean legend, where, of course, piracy was rampant.

My question "why?" was because I don't see zombies as in any way adversarial to pirates, other zombies, or anyone else.  They just kind of lurch araound doing slave labor.  They aren't dangerous or at all exciting, So why would you use them in a skirmish game?  or better still *how* would you use them in a skirmish game.

In my accidentally deleted post I mentioned that Bill Cosby once said of "The Mummy" in those old 1930's Universal horror films, "If you got caught by The Mummy you *deserved* to die".  IMO, the same goes for zombies.

I also mentioned that the only way that I could see zombies in a "Gloire" game would be to give each player a Swashbuckler and then give him one point for each zombie that he could smack in the back of the head without getting caught by one.  Tripping them and kicking them in the butt would be allowed too!  It's Just a joke man, don't get upset over it.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 10:00:34 AM »
Was I the only one who saw "Pirates of the Caribbean"? Or even some Scooby-Doo?  :)
I happen to be entertained by Undead Pirates, there are models from Reaper and a new excellent line from Privateer, so there must be others interested.

To imply that I'm lazy, or have a "problem" trying out new rules seems a bit ignorant. Asking for something you'd like to see in a set of rules used to be called feedback, not laziness.

There might be some others in the "pretend your tiny metal statues are pirates" group of gamers who would like to see something like this, so thank you, Operator 5, for getting my point.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 11:29:36 AM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"

It might be laziness, or it might be a fear that they're doing something wrong. I understand laziness (oh do I ever!) but I don't understand being afraid. Try things out! Are you happy with how they work? Are your friends happy with how they work? Then hooray! Even tournament game rules can be tweaked among friends.

I'd say, it could also have something to do with the 'The-Company-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named'-disease. Everyone coming up with some funny stuff for those games and time and again trying to bring it to their local club probably got fed-up with hearing: 'We play by the official rules here!'. Another reason why I'm not a member of a games club, but prefer organizing my own hand-picked gaming groups....
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 12:00:09 PM »
Quote from: "LeadAsbestos"

To imply that I'm lazy, or have a "problem" trying out new rules seems a bit ignorant. Asking for something you'd like to see in a set of rules used to be called feedback, not laziness.

I'm sorry if you felt you were being called lazy or had a problem. I think we are on much the same page regarding creating new rules among friends.

:cry: This beautiful thread is such a disaster now... :cry:  Too much misunderstanding of intentions.

Offline Mo

• Mad Scientist
    • Oddman Productions
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 12:15:14 PM »
Just the sheer number of undead pirate figures available proves there is an interest in the sub-genre.

I've played them before and had a great time.

Marc