Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:25:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 55 days in peking - my project  (Read 31992 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: 55 days in peking - my project
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2017, 06:24:07 AM »
Remarkable project - though I'd like to see the ruins a lot more sooty, a heavy wash of black, they look too "clean" after a fire, even with the weathering that is applied.

I'm building up my own collection from the Blue Moon 18 mm range.  One more order to go next year which will include a lot of ruins.  You, however, are way ahead of me and have the added element of creativity.  Blue Moon is kind of cheating - but in this case I'm happy to cheat. Though I'm still hoping to include some scratch built elements, especially the Tartar Wall and the ruined gate house perhaps.  And the palace, something akin to the Forbidden City, or at least a portion of it.

Anyone have photos of the real Tsungli Yamen?

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2017, 07:42:43 AM »
Remarkable project - though I'd like to see the ruins a lot more sooty, a heavy wash of black, they look too "clean" after a fire, even with the weathering that is applied.

I'm building up my own collection from the Blue Moon 18 mm range.  One more order to go next year which will include a lot of ruins.  You, however, are way ahead of me and have the added element of creativity.  Blue Moon is kind of cheating - but in this case I'm happy to cheat. Though I'm still hoping to include some scratch built elements, especially the Tartar Wall and the ruined gate house perhaps.  And the palace, something akin to the Forbidden City, or at least a portion of it.

Anyone have photos of the real Tsungli Yamen?

Thank you very much for the kind comments. Yes, the ruins should be more darkened to reflect the effects of burning. This is done in most completed ruins, as you can see in some of the pics. When I finish with them they will all look dark and "sooty". I will order from Blue Moon  too... Yes it is a VERY BIG project. I want to emphasize the "feeling", the general impression,that's why it takes me so much time.  ;) I dont want the legations to be  a collection of wargaming buildings [including medieval castles or modern houses]. I will repeat it here: I need some help from my friends [are you listening  DintheDin?]  I cant do everything by myself. :). As for the Tsungli Yamen, I only found one pic, and I post it for you
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:44:42 AM by miltiades »

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2017, 08:18:32 AM »
[are you listening  DintheDin?]

Listening!  ;) One of the next days, I'll come to burn your ruins  lol

About Tsungli (or Zongli) Yamen, the only pic which could be found, is this that you posted and is repeated in the Wikipedia article

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zongli_Yamen

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline leadboy

• Librarian
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2017, 10:47:27 AM »
Just a lovely project - many congratulations! I've had this as a "backburner" project for ages, but
one of the things that has held me up is a lack of photos/plans of Legations other than the British
Legation (and perhaps the US/French Legations). Probably tactless to ask after you're just enjoying
completion of the British Legation, but are you planning to add any more and if so what are you using
for research/inspiration? Oh, and a couple of other questions - did you scratchbuild the British Legation
gatehouse, and if so, how did you do the coat of arms (another thing that has held me up!). And what
rules will you be using - the ones that were published in Miniature Wargames years ago, or something
else ? Sorry to raise so many questions, but your work and photographs are inspirational!

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2017, 01:40:02 PM »
Just a lovely project - many congratulations! I've had this as a "backburner" project for ages, but
one of the things that has held me up is a lack of photos/plans of Legations other than the British
Legation (and perhaps the US/French Legations). Probably tactless to ask after you're just enjoying
completion of the British Legation, but are you planning to add any more and if so what are you using
for research/inspiration? Oh, and a couple of other questions - did you scratchbuild the British Legation
gatehouse, and if so, how did you do the coat of arms (another thing that has held me up!). And what
rules will you be using - the ones that were published in Miniature Wargames years ago, or something
else ? Sorry to raise so many questions, but your work and photographs are inspirational!

thank you leadboy. Now about your questions. I will try to answer them one by one:
1st question: there is no lack of photos/plans of legations. On the contrary; you can find plenty of them on the internet. Just google British/German/ Japanese/Italian etc Legation Peking 1900 and you will be surprised! Besides thanks to Blue Moon  you may now find ALL legation gates of the period ! So, dont worry about it. A good question would rather be: "what will you do AFTER you play a couple of times the 55 days game?" This is a really good reason to hold you back from the project. What will you do with the huge volume of Walls houses gates ruins, Temples  Palaces and Walls ? They are not very useful in other games you know-and this is a big problem. But I have gone too far to stop it here.  :D

2nd question.I am planning to add more pics, I have already completed 2 more Legations, but I will post them all-hopefully before this Christmass!!!
3rd question. YES i scratchbuilt the British Legation Gatehouse. The wonderful coat of arms is photoshopped by my good friend DintheDin! I love it!
4th question. Oh yes the rules. Well, this is another issue. I do have a set in mind and as soon as I play I will let you know !
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 05:03:53 PM by miltiades »

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2017, 05:54:53 PM »
Here is the Victorian coat of arms I gave to Miltiades to put over the British Legation entrance.
Paper. When seen from a distance it looks like 3D! Isn't it?

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2017, 06:50:27 PM »
...and Miltiades put it in place

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2017, 09:10:42 PM »
Thanks for the photo of the Tsungli Yamen!  And here is a link to a setup (unpainted) of the Blue Moon buildings I've acquired so far. http://steeplechasingzebras.blogspot.com/p/boxer-rebellion.html

More to come as I said.  Oh, and that link will be used in my own thread here on the Colonial Page, too.  That's what I came on here to do.

Don't worry about just playing the 55 Days at Peking.  Be creative and come up with other scenarios - rearrange buildings to provide different tactical options.  And I disagree - the buildings can be used in other theaters.  I plan to use most of my Legation buildings to other purposes such as Musketeers in France or Indian Mutiny games.  Just have to be careful about making them look too Chinese.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 04:37:18 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2017, 07:45:17 AM »
Thanks for the photo of the Tsungli Yamen!  And here is a link to a setup (unpainted) of the Blue Moon buildings I've acquired so far. http://steeplechasingzebras.blogspot.com/p/boxer-rebellion.html

More to come as I said.  Oh, and that link will be used in my own thread here on the Colonial Page, too.  That's what I came on here to do.

Don't worry about just playing the 55 Days at Peking.  Be creative and come up with other scenarios - rearrange buildings to provide different tactical options.  And I disagree - the buildings can be used in other theaters.  I plan to use most of my Legation buildings to other purposes such as Musketeers in France or Indian Mutiny games.  Just have to careful about making them look too Chinese.

1. Your pics are AMAZING ! BLUE MOON has done a great job and deserves our respect. Unfortunately the Legations are extremely expensive by the Greek Standards ...Of course they are worth their value - but I cant afford the cost of 180-200 $ plus the transport expenses just for one Legation. It is a pitty they dont sell the Legation buildings separately [with only one exception]. Of course I will order a few parts [because I cant resist] but I would like to order more. The wonderful building of the Russian Legation for instance...

2. I think you are right. The buildings [especially the Blue Moon buildings] may be used in other theaters: The Russian Legation building might easily be used in an Indian mutiny game:  perfect for Lucknow !

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 10:00:58 AM by miltiades »

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2017, 04:32:39 PM »
And now, the Canal...Well, you can never have a 55days game without a canal-right?
So, the Canal divided the City in two parts.  In winter it looked like this

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2017, 04:34:13 PM »
But in Summer it was almost dry and it looked like this

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2017, 04:35:39 PM »
or rather like this [full of grass]

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2017, 04:45:33 PM »
so I decided to make it look muddy and  with grass in most parts
Here it is...
[funny thing is I used several layers of simple varnish [gloss]  to represent water and it worked very well. No need for the expensive material used by train modellers to represent rivers et.c.]
The banks are made of paper photoshopped by DintheDin. We tried several kinds of "stone" before we concluded to the one you see in the pic. I know I have to cover some parts of the old "stone" with the new one...I will do it soon
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 04:53:25 PM by miltiades »

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2017, 07:41:01 PM »
That canal  is great :-* :-* It looks very believable to me.
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2017, 07:57:24 PM »
That canal  is great :-* :-* It looks very believable to me.
LB
Oh ! thank you so much!