Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:56:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: TWD goes to the NWF (at last a game! 31/10)  (Read 29016 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: TWD goes to the NWF (Afghan tribesmen 04/07)
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2016, 08:01:47 AM »
The only drawbacks I see with them when compared to other brands are a certain squareness of rifle butts, and the lack of tails on turbans

And the very strange poses and even stranger head angles :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2016, 08:40:25 AM »
I have the OG Pathans, and I'm frankly mystified by your verdict on their quality... Crude and lacking in detail?     

I'm a bit mystified by your reading of my review :)
I didn't say they were crude I said they were cruder than some specific brands - and I stand by that, compare for instance the rifles with those on Perry or Artizan figures or have a look at the knives and scabards which are basically just points of greenstuff.
I also agrees that the faces are characterful, though to be fair some of the eye sockets are so deep the eyeballs would actually sit in the middle of the brain :)

However I did also say that I really enjoyed painting them, I really like the finished results and that I'll definitely buy more.
In short I like them.
They're really great, simple soldiers and I'd recommend them but they're different from some of the more recent/high profile sculpts and that's what I was trying to convey.

Offline Leigh Metford

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2016, 01:17:03 PM »
Well, all I can say is that my reaction on opening the first bag I purchased was the antithesis of '... my heart sank..'. I was, and remain, impressed with the level of detail on these products of Andy Cooper's craftsmanship, and the sense of movement and drama he imbued them with; in contrast with the dull, lifeless poses of their Artizan equivalents. Swordsmen should be depicted charging or sneaking through the rocks, not waiting for a bus, and jezailchis and riflemen should be leaning forward or bracing themselves for a better shot, reloading, or sidling forward to a new firing position, not standing at the present like a sentry.  And the phrase '... lacking in detail...' is a direct quote from your blog commentary. Having viewed many close-up images of Artizan figures I don't see any more or better detail than on the OG Pathans.  

I can find other major faults with the Artizan Pathans, and that brand in general that you find so laudable, the most glaring being their distorted anatomical proportions, with stumpy, foreshortened calfs. I also think the voluminous character of Pathan clothing is better captured in the OG figures.

So, if given a choice between paying around AUD$1 for my OG Pathans (as I did) with the occasional oddly positioned 'hey-Steve' head (easily enough corrected if it really concerns you) and $3 or so for something no better and in some respects inferior, I know which way my money would fall. Still, each to his own, as they say. However, I can't disagree with you about the Perry Afghans, or any Perry figures, for that matter; undoubtedly the best anatomically proportioned, most realistically posed figures on the market. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 01:38:31 PM by Leigh Metford »

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2016, 04:19:09 PM »
Crikey, I'm  glad I said I like them. Imagine how cross you'd have been if I disliked them.
 :D

You seem to be taking some fairly mild criticism of some toy soldiers very personally, but "each to their own" as you say.

Anyway, this thread was suppose to be about me showing some models I'd painted, so I think I'd like to get back to that, if that OK with you.

Feel free to start another thread where you can tell me my opinions are wrong.

Offline Leigh Metford

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2016, 01:47:26 AM »
You're reading a tone into my post that doesn't exist :-). It's a throughly rational, dispassionate response to your comments. And isn't the sole purpose of this site the discussion of toy soldiers?

But the fact remains that, whether you ultimately 'like' them or not, you did make what I consider an unfair comparison with Artizan, and I think that in the interests of fairness and balance alone readers of this forum who might be unfamiliar with the OG figures should be made aware that there are others who have them and who regard them as something other than second rate.   

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2016, 07:46:15 AM »
You're reading a tone into my post that doesn't exist 

Man who thinks "I like these models and will buy more of them" = "these models are second rate" tells me I'm the one misreading things.

*bangs irony meter* is this thing on?

As I said, feel free to create your own "OG Pathans are the finest models known to man and TWD's opinions are wronger than Wrong Jack McWrong" thread and carry on this discussion over there.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2016, 08:30:41 AM »
And isn't the sole purpose of this site the discussion of toy soldiers?

No it's not.

It's about showcasing people's painting and gaming, whatever the perceived standard of quality.  It's about a supportive and friendly community that offers advice and guidance, constructive feedback and encouragement.

It's not for banging on about one's own opinions as if they are fact to the detriment of the OPs thread and original intentions.

Sorry TWD for interjecting here, but these days the LAF seems to have too many people pontificating and not enough people painting and gaming.

Now lets have some more pics of your NWF goodies :)

Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2016, 10:22:49 PM »
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 11:31:47 PM by TWD »

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Re: TWD goes to the NWF (more Afghan tribesmen 17/07)
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2016, 10:37:58 PM »
Very nice work!
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2016, 11:12:38 PM »
What a lovely pack of hill wolves!  :-*

I like the gent in the purple and black - what a peacock. He better watch his threads around his mates - he's likely to get rolled!

I personally use a good mix of OG Pathans in my NWF force, warranted the jezail armed ones, but would I think I'd still choose Foundry's in a pinch.

Regardless these certainly look the business.  :)
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2016, 09:47:39 AM »
Very nice work!

Coming from you, sir that's praise indeed. Thank-you.

I like the gent in the purple and black - what a peacock. He better watch his threads around his mates - he's likely to get rolled!

You don't get to be the leader by letting your mates pinch your best going-out clobber!  :)
I reckon he's fairly handy, despite the peacock tendencies.

I personally use a good mix of OG Pathans in my NWF force, warranted the jezail armed ones, but would I think I'd still choose Foundry's in a pinch.

Regardless these certainly look the business.  :)
Thanks, glad you like them. Simple wash and a few highlights jobs but the OG models respond well to that.

I need to get some of the Foundry ones and some Artizan ones as well
For now I have the rest of this pack and some Tiger ones (which were cheap but appear to be a tad rudimentary).

I've also just realised it's only a month till TMWWBK comes out, so I need to crank up production rates.

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2016, 02:35:07 PM »
Nice work on those tribesmen  :)

Cheers

Keith

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2016, 08:25:49 AM »
Some Artizan muskets join the force

Sorry for the poor quality picture
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 11:32:42 PM by TWD »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: TWD goes to the NWF (Afghan muskets 10/08)
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2016, 08:57:44 AM »
Great stuff  :)

That photo would work brilliantly if it were on some hillside terrain  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Re: TWD goes to the NWF (Afghan muskets 10/08)
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2016, 09:34:04 PM »
Great stuff  :)

That photo would work brilliantly if it were on some hillside terrain  8)

cheers

James

I am making an appropriate hillside at the moment - Tom it's yours to borrow as soon as it's done!

Good figures, love the scouts peering into the distance.