Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:20:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The birth of a new project  (Read 19003 times)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The birth of a new project
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 12:55:05 AM »
Falange used to wear the blue shirt, its a kind of brownshirt (SA) of the nazi party in Germany or the greenshirts of the romanian fascist party, or the blackshirts of Mussolini.

Howevewr, please note that the Spanish contributed a legion to help nazis in Stalingrad. Quite surprising they named it as legion condor and was also blue shirted one.

@Argonor : I dont know I saw this Uniform in an old Osprey and also on some painting examples at the Anglian homepage. I liked the color so I picked it. I hope its not completely wrong.

Wouldn't think so, but I wondered if they could be used instead of nazis for late interwar pulp villains....  ;)

Why not. In virtually any country there was some fascist organisation. Remember n Europe there were several fascist regimes not only in spain, italy, germany but also in yugoslavia, romania, greece, hungary, bulgaria and so on. more or less all of them had a uniformed branch. Also, there was fascist movements or parties in other counbtries like great britain, norway and possibly more others I don/t know. So, why not. We can assume fascist or similar militias in Mexico or southa american countries like argentina or brazil (remember portugal also was a dictatorship at that time) or veeb southafrica. so why not?

As a further info Paco Ignacio Taibo II in his novel "Like shadows we return" describes one person (half chinese half mexican with 4 indigenous friends) hunting down nazi militias (from germans) in mexico. these nazi militias were organised to ensure the supply of good quality coffee derivatives for the wellkeep of hitler himself!
argsilverson

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 12:54:25 PM »
I have a customer at my cafe who's father served in the "Legión Azul" and after the war in the Guardia Civil.  Interesting guy, he was also a Legionnaire and served in the Guardia Civil.  Like father, like son...

Have to also say that I too like the way you did the grain on the rifles.  I've been painting my rifles brown and then a dark brown for the grain, and it just doesn't jump out.  I'll have to try it your way with a lighter brown for the grain, seems to work quite well.

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 02:13:25 PM »
sorry I made a mistake.
Spanish legion was really called legion Azul (blue legion)

Offline Durutti

• Scientist
    • view from the duck pond
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 02:57:49 PM »

@Argonor : I dont know I saw this Uniform in an old Osprey and also on some painting examples at the Anglian homepage. I liked the color so I picked it. I hope its not completely wrong.

[/quote]

Uniform is spot on mate. The Falange Espanol adopted the Blue Shirt and Gorillo cap as its distinctive uniform, and were wearing these colours when the war started in 1936. Later on when Franco merged the Falange with the Carlist Requetes the uniform changed to a Blue shirt with a Red beret.
The Falange were used early on, mainly in rear areas for mopping up, and to support the Guardia Civil in rural areas. But as the casualties mounted in the elite units like the Foreign Legion and Morrocans, the Falange were used as frontline troops. Troops who had front line experience wore a white chevron on their gorillo caps, and on the sleeve of their shirts.
The Falange Blue Shirt was called a "lifejacket" by some elements, as many ex-Republicans, to avoid  repercussions, joined the Falange after areas they lived in fell under Nationalist control.

Offline Saya

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 02:08:53 AM »
Yeah ! more beautiful Anglian Miniatures with a excelent job of brush in them!!!! :-*
Congratulations!!!!

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 05:03:59 PM »
Nice newborn project Björn! Congratulations! They look great. But I have to correct you: the Deadline isn´t end of February, it´s end of January  ;) 

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008, 06:58:57 PM »
Thanks guys, thanks Hazel.
No problem mate. I had a relaxing sunday. I prepared 6 more soldiers and will finnish them within this week. Iam not in a hurry and there is plenty of time left  ;)
Björn
, ,

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 10:06:27 AM »
Driscoles

they are very good, like them a lot.

like argonor says the uniform is good and they could be used as interwar villains I reckon.

cool keep it up

dodge

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2008, 06:42:40 AM »
Excellent figures Björn! I hope you have many victories.

I'll add to what Durutti said;

There was a move to an army green shirt after the Falange found it made a good target. The new shirt did have a blue collar still though. So there is room for variation, should you wish.

Wouldn't think so, but I wondered if they could be used instead of nazis for late interwar pulp villains....  ;)

As Argsilverson says; there were Fascist organisations everywhere, many wearing similar uniforms based on either Italian or German trends. So Anglian Falange figures could easily be used elsewhere. Even the USA had the 'Bund', so no need to have to have the Nazi's as the bad guys in every game.

The only difference between these groups was in shirt colour.... Black, Green, Blue etc. P G Wodehouse lampooned a group of Fascists in his 'Jeeves' stories as the 'Black Shorts', as by the time they were formed there were no shirt colours left to choose from.

Paul Hicks has done some British Fascists which are due to be released by Musketeer Miniatures before long, for the 1938 British Civil War Project. These will be in Tunics, so suitable for North European Fascists if you like.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 06:44:56 AM by Jim Hale »

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2008, 07:59:58 AM »

Yes they fit nicely into the Pulp Genre!

See here:  http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Monastery_death/Mon_death_Chap_1.htm

NOTE:  The first page shows a Nazi Symbol but also has representations of the flags we used for each of the factions.  You can see it here if you choose http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Monastery_death/Mon_death_intro.htm
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2008, 08:45:44 AM »
Ok...you just helped me to discover new pulp villains for my .45 Adventure games.
Thanks guys. I have finnished 6 new soldiers this week. The base has to be done and with a little luck I`ll post them today.
Cheers
Björn

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2008, 10:19:57 AM »
@Driscoles: You started it by showing those magnificent Falangists  :)

@dadlamassu: Looks like a great game - simple, yet effective terrain (I love the portal  lol ). I've been wanting to make a Vatican group for pulp gaming for a long time, but I want to mainly use armed priests and nuns (Circulo Octogonus) - nuns there are plenty, but priests are another matter....  :?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2008, 02:04:26 PM »
All right!

Here is the next group of figures. I have 16 soldados, 1 Sargento and 1 subteniente.
Hope my spanish was correct. Its been awhile since my school days  :)

The next picture will be the whole group together with some terrain.

Thanks for visiting !

Cheers
Björn

Offline Saya

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2008, 03:50:29 PM »
Wow man beautiful painting figures!!!!
and, tu español es perfecto!!!!!  :) :)

greetings

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2008, 04:50:09 PM »
I suspect Alférez would be more correct than Subteniente and sounds cooler  :D

Presuming the Falange used army ranking, which I don't know whether they did or not... they used Centuria as opposed to Compañía ... so maybe not  :?