Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:39:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 8
Guests: 619
Total: 627

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone using TrackMaster?  (Read 12802 times)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Anyone using TrackMaster?
« on: November 29, 2015, 09:36:05 PM »
I am thinking the Thomas inspired Trackmaster trains could make a source for cheapish quick and easy to find and covert source for 28mm trains... They make a large variety so there is a good scope for a number of periods and settings. They also do what could be useful accessories like bridges, indeed even if not considering TrackMaster some of these could be useful to other train wargamers. Problems include accuracy for the fussy and the engine wheels need work though if converting to an armoured train this would depending no longer matter. Track is a problem too - they have two types however - one normally blue and lacking detail the other light brown which if painting correctly could maybe be passable. Certainly the rolling stock carriages and wagons look alright and could paint up a treat and or be easily converted. Cuplings ideally need replacing indeed I find these the worst aspect. Given that I am sure most of us would like a train to occasionally have on the wargame table TrackMaster could be the quick cheap option the likes of ebay are a flurry with them so availability would not be an issue.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
Re: Anyone using TrackMaster?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 09:25:33 AM »
Honestly for me it would not be an alternative to a proper track and rolling stock. I am probably too aesthetic to accept obvious toys on my wargaming table. I prefer a little bit more authenticity.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 04:18:42 AM »
I've got a bunch of the Blue "Tomica" tracked stuff for my kid.  It predates the Trackmaster track, but the scale, engines and couplings are the same.  It's actually a Japanese toy line that has been made for quite a few decades and is still in production over there.  You can order some amazing looking trains from Japan via Hobbylink or Hobby Search.

Anyway, the scale is much closer to 20mm or even 15mm for many of the modern trains.  However, the compressed nature of the cars lends itself very well to the cramped confines of the wargaming table and some are quite detailed. The exception to the scale is that some of the gondolas make great mining cars or even small vintage narrow gauge gondolas in 28mm. I think I've seen some used in this way, but I can't recall where. Last I checked you could get a pack of 3 gondolas for about $10 bucks.

I'm not using any in my wargaming -preferring to go with toys more close to 28mm- but I'm toying with the idea of building a small LEGO layout with Tomica/Tomy/Trackmaster trains scaled to the little one-piece figures that come in LEGO boardgames (around 20mm or so).  They're alot cheaper than a vintage LEGO monorail.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 10:50:32 PM »
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the Japanese name for these Tomy trains is "Playrail".  I ordered one of these for my son for his birthday:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SNAKSO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
[img] http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61gtH-LL9RL._SX522_.jpg/img]
It has arrived and like the Thomas trains, it's HO'ish compressed in scale, but could work nicely on a 20mm layout.  If anyone is considering something like this, the doorways are 23mm high.