Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:48:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Would This Work For Your Sci-Fi Gaming?  (Read 5498 times)

Offline mkultra99

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Bookworm
Re: Would This Work For Your Sci-Fi Gaming?
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2019, 03:57:08 PM »
Got mine.. they are quite sheer. Maybe too much. Ill get some pics in use this weekend if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2019, 07:18:13 AM »
Here are some photos of the cloth I got:

On the table - the figures are 10mm tanks in the foreground and 15mm infantry in the distance. The cloth has a lot of creases from transit - I assume these will come out with an iron. I'm being lazy and hoping they magically fall out on their own...

The cloth is light and quite stiff so doesn't sit well over hills placed under it. The white edges aren't an issue as they are either off the edges of the table, or are right at the edge, where you are expecting an edge anyway.

Closer view of the 10mm tanks on the hill

15mm figures

Close up of the printing

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2019, 07:48:16 AM »
Thanks for the pictures Fred, that says a lot more than the ones the seller has up!
I wonder how much of a problem the folds would be on the sci-fi one, it already has a divided pattern in the same direction so it might blend in a bit more.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2019, 11:25:50 AM »
Received my turquoise green mat (for my pulp and fantasy games that require a sea or archipelago). The creases suck and the mat is of low quality abd thin...ironing helps somewhat but because of the material it deforms somewhat. And be careful not to tear it at the creases.
So good enough for the price and great for niche games, but not really as a main mat I'd say. I chose this one as I rarely play with a sea setting and I think it'll work well for those games
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2019, 12:34:40 PM »
Malebolgia

I’m almost tempted to hit the back of mine with fabric spray adhesive and lay it on canvas or something else with substance, so that it can roll up for storage.  I would need to iron out the creases on the vinyl mat before doing that.

The wife suggested that, if I do that, I would need to put some small “hem weights” on the four corners, just to make sure the surface always lays flat while in use.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2019, 07:04:21 AM »
Hello

I’ve just ordered this 3x5ft one for a basic city asphalt/tar surface, on top of which one can add the buildings, sidewalks, etc.:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3X5FT-Abstract-Gray-Gradient-Backdrop-Photography-Backdrop-Photos-Studio-Props/273819052196?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I hope it ends up looking the same as in the picture.

By the way, here’s their 5x7ft one, if that interests you more:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Abstract-Gray-Gradient-Backdrop-Photography-Backdrop-5x7ft-Photos-Studio-Props/272509677761?hash=item3f72d7b0c1:g:5toAAOSwgLVZo8k9
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 07:15:12 AM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2019, 05:31:45 AM »
Got my own test buy last week. Rather like the one pictured above but more blueish (at least IRL) and about the same price. Creases mostly vanished with some ironing (and no doubt someone with a better idea of what temp to use for the material could've done better). The details (such as they are) are coarse, which I suppose is kind of obvious and in the case of something like this particular canvas it doesn't matter too much either. Fairly happy but based on this one example I don't expect these to impress anyone used to actual good quality miniature gaming battle mats. With the caveat that I've mostly seen those in pix only as well so maybe they aren't so hot either.

Online Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2019, 12:21:17 PM »
I ordered mine a while ago - pretty cheap as I had a $10 voucher from eBay trying to entice me abck after a prolonged absence.

Anyway, here's a few photos:

It's a dent size and will do for most formats.

X-Wing stuff looks by no means out of place:

This print may be okay for games like legion as well:

Would work better with a lot of urban terrain.

As mentioned above, a good iron is necessary to get rid of the packing creases in the material. Other than that,looks okay to go. The other prints also look quite serviceable. Not sure it will stand up to rough handling so durability may be an issue depending on who you game with.

That said, if you've got an eBay voucher burning a hole in your in-box you could do worse than splash out on one or two of these.