Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:45:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Worst figure pose  (Read 11373 times)

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
Worst figure pose
« on: December 15, 2008, 08:19:41 AM »
I always wondered about how a sculptor chooses a pose for their figure.  I was just looking on the Urban Mammoth site and they have some new figures out, I had liked the concept art work for the land pilots but the figures themselves I am not that keen on.  The “Land Pilot” I might be able to re work into something I like but the leaning forward shooting pose just looks odd. The mechsoldat is just horrible, one of the worst poses I have seen(thank God it’s a female if it were a male figure It would look as though he was playing with himself) the rest are just so so.  Of course this is just my opinion.  What’s yours and do you have a favorite and least favorite pose?
http://urbanmammoth.com/
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 08:29:09 AM by bandit86 »
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
Re: Worst figure pose
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 08:33:00 AM »
I've got no problem with the loricatuses pose, I just don't like the pistol-tommygun. But I agree on the mechsoldat. On the other hand that pose looks quite natural to me. I would have to clutch those trousers too, else I would loose them  o_o .
Far less active than I used to...

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 08:45:12 AM »
I generally like poses that don't suggest to much for gaming.

I mean - I looks silly when a running figure is standing and talking to a crouching man. So in that case I would prefer both to be standing straight.

The Urban Mammoth minis are often very well done I think. I have some of their triads, syntha and viridians. Haven't found a use for them yet though.

I suppose I also think that the mech girl looks like she's taking a dump and the land pilot is a bit too gangsta for me.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 09:38:12 AM »
Figures lying down generally bug me as you are limited as to what you can do with them and I always feel they should be standing up especially when they should be running/moving

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 09:41:59 AM »
I generally like poses that don't suggest to much for gaming.

I mean - I looks silly when a running figure is standing and talking to a crouching man. So in that case I would prefer both to be standing straight.

I'm with you there - especially for those small scale skirmish/adventure flicks.

The Urban Mammoth minis are often very well done I think. I have some of their triads, syntha and viridians. Haven't found a use for them yet though.

I also like them a lot - Duregar and I bought some Urban War boxed minis at a discount about a year ago (Viridians for me, Syntha for him) - I think I have prepped the female sergeant. Same with Warmachine, really...  :?

I suppose I also think that the mech girl looks like she's taking a dump and the land pilot is a bit too gangsta for me.

Nothing wrong with a gal with attitude - if she's 'street' and not military - but crapping those baggies full should take a while  lol

Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 09:43:08 AM »
Not keen on any of those poses to be honest. All a bit poor.

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 10:33:52 AM »
In general terms, I always get myself worked up with 'Mr-Easy-To-Cast's, that is spread-eagle, legs apart miniatures with a big sword pointing straight up and a staff in the other. You'd think they'd be a part of a distant Ral Patha D&D past but they still apear now and then.

Offline Torradas

• Librarian
    • http://meiatorrada.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 10:38:18 AM »
I will join the choir of the "I prefer them to be standing".
I will concede on the odd "Shooting position" and "Advacing" (not running full tilt, both feet on the ground).

A miniature line that also does great minis but puts me off with their poses is Infinity.
"And Lo, thou shalt close your legs in a snapping action whence your miniature slips from your hand when you are painting. And the paint will be fresh, and your trousers will be soiled, but you will smile - because the mini was saved"
Book of Lead-a-Holics, 3:16

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 10:43:18 AM »
A miniature line that also does great minis but puts me off with their poses is Infinity.

I agree. Why do they have to make minis doing kickflips, standing on one leg while firing, and the likes??

Offline Ruarigh

• Librarian
    • The Ooh Shiny Complex
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 11:48:34 AM »
You could always play Urban War!  ;) We play it a lot and it is good fun.

One of the worst poses I know if is this Knight of the Fury from the old Void line.

He looks like he is dancing to Madness or something like that. And as for Commander X, what is she up to?

Of course, my real pet peeve is swords that look like cricket bats and female figures with footballs stuck up their jumpers, but that is a whole different thread.
The greatest revenge you can have on a man that steals your wife is to let him keep her.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 11:58:12 AM »
I THINK Commander X is waiting outside a toilet while keeping some Koralon at bay.... ?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 12:13:53 PM »
I love those silly poses for Fantasy and Sci-Fi. Those guys look like they are putting on Void: The Musical which I think is a hoot.

But I don't think I'd want them for Gallipoli or 1st Ypres.  :)

Hmm, I dunno, I do like "O What a lovely War" so perhaps some singing and dancing Tommies would be fun too.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Torradas

• Librarian
    • http://meiatorrada.blogspot.com
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 12:19:57 PM »
I don´t want to come across as an Infinity-hater - I really do think there are some wonderful sculpts in the line. And reviewing them now, I think that most poses are alright. But there are some notable exceptions that would make even VOID miniatures look pretty static...

Case in point:

Online JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 12:37:16 PM »
Hmm, I dunno, I do like "O What a lovely War" so perhaps some singing and dancing Tommies would be fun too.

The guy on the end of this row of BTD Desert Rats might be a place to start, mate:

;) lol

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 01:33:13 PM »

The guy on the end of this row of BTD Desert Rats might be a place to start, mate:

;) lol

Looks like 10 of them would be a good Irish folk dance formation in british service  :D