Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:06:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689473
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Königin Luise  (Read 5167 times)

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Re: Königin Luise
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 11:24:12 PM »
Lovely. 8)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 03:18:58 AM »
I can't really add to what the other comments on this thread have already said. Outstanding work.

What he said.  :-*

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 10:53:56 AM »
Oh my.  :o
Don't!

Offline Le matou rouge

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 11:13:04 AM »
 :o Pure talent .As the framework seem simple, the components "usual bits" ( railway models fences, I suppose ? an airplane's tail), all is in their combination and gorgeous painting :-*
Pure talent (ad lib.)

!,
Matt

We are the Village Green Preservation Society
We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular
Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula
Ray Davies

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 11:39:08 AM »
Love the paint job :-* :-*
Great model :-* :-*
I agree with all of the above. In particular more pictures please. Also have you any pictures of how you made it so we can all steal you ideas.

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 03:46:49 PM »
First of all - thanks for all your kind comments!

Before going into some details about building Luise, a word about her crew: well, errr, it's not finished yet. To be honest, it's not even started.  ::) I had too many other things to do. I'm sure you'll understand. So many distractions and diversions ...  8)

Same is true with more photos and detail shots: haven't got any. I finished the ship at the end of 2006, but didn't manage to get some photos until 2 weeks ago. What a shame!  ;) But I will do some detail shots very soon, promised!

It all started with the very nice b/w-illustrations in "Steam Age", one of the recommendable books for "Castle Falkenstein". There was one picture showing a pilot steering a kind of steam airship with a large steam engine behind him, and I was fascinated by this idea and execution immediately. And just started thinking how to build it ...

When I discovered the cheap Glencoe 1/330 US Navy Blimp kit at the next modelling show, I knew I could start building. More infos on this kit here: http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/glen/kit_glen_blimp.shtml

Only the two halfs of the helium bag were used from the kit, fins removed and nose modified with thin plasticsheet and putty. A thin strip of plasticsheet covered the seam betwen the two halves where some eyelids from thin wire were glued in to be used for later rigging.

Next came the platform, scratched from Evergreen plasticsheet, strips and profiles and nice "victorian"-looking fences from some H0 railroad stuff I had in one of my (many) bits-boxes. Most fun I had building the steam engine from many bits-box parts, scratched cylinders, handrails, foot-pedals and lots of different sized rivets. If you go for serious VSF vehicle building, you just can't live without a good punch-and-die set for getting all the needed rivets, and nothing else leads to such nice results that fast. Years ago I invested some money in a decent set from Historex agents and can only heartily recommend it:

http://www.historexagents.com/shop/tips_punch.php

The large smokestack of the engine was firmly glued into the airship's underbelly, another piece was glued exactly on top of the other side looking like the stack is going through the ship's bag. Another piece of plastic rod was used to connect the aft parts of the ship. These hollow connections are used for holding two brass rods to get the ship onto it's base when gaming. Last part of the construction were rudders and fin, first from an Airfix biplane kit, last scratchbuilt from plastic sheet.

After construction everything was airbrushed with two or three coats of Tamiya light browns, the engine with some gunmetals and silver and then a little drybrushing to enhance all structures. After a protective coat of matt varnish the hardest piece of work was all to be done: hand-painting two prussian motifs showing the eagle inside a Lorbeerkranz and the line "Pro Gloria et Patria". I hope I must not do this ever again  :-I

That's it, and I will get some detail shots for you soon.

Offline Paul Hicks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 04:28:03 PM »
Amazing a fantastic model a perfect match of expert model making and imagination. You are a true artist. I wanted to say hello at Crisis and commend you on your Gold Mine but you looked very busy running your game.

Well done Sir.

Offline Admiral Benbow

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 04:40:00 PM »
Amazing a fantastic model a perfect match of expert model making and imagination. You are a true artist. I wanted to say hello at Crisis and commend you on your Gold Mine but you looked very busy running your game.

Well done Sir.

Hey Paul, maybe I'm always looking busy (or is it a trick?) but if you won't come over next time to say hello I'm seriously angry with you as it was me who wanted to meet such a talented chap like you in person!  lol

Next time!

Offline BigMecha

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 10:51:25 PM »
wow!! great! perfect!

now they going to have to make a model of it for those who want it...a mold or something

that is what I think!
::::: Ancients::::::::
:::::: World War I :::::::
::::::: World War II ::::::::
:::::::: Science Fiction :::::::
:::::::::::    Fantasy   :::::::::::::::

Offline Admiral Benbow

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2008, 01:21:57 PM »
Hi Scurv,

thanks for your good advice on that green screen thing, but I only provided the model, a friend of mine is into stop motion. But I will forward your message to him, maybe he is interested in getting some good ideas from you.

Offline Admiral Benbow

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2008, 02:13:52 PM »
No worries I would be happy to lend him advice if he needs it. He is lucky to have a guy with your model building skills about, ever thought of picking up a gig as a miniature set builder?

Hey, I would love to, but unfortunately I don't know too many people from Hollywood ...  lol
And with a fulltime job, a family and some years on my back it might not be so easy to start a new career  ;)