Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:04:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WESTEROS - Perry Miniatures - House Cerwyn Project  (Read 27860 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: WESTEROS - Perry Miniatures - House Cerwyn Project
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2016, 11:58:25 PM »
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Welcome to the club  ;)

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 07:40:17 AM »
yes as the captain said welcome to the club !!! I think the project you are starting is very good. There are enough people doing the big houses. So to see a smaller house would be grand.
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 09:10:46 AM »
If you are opting for the route Charlie is taking and having generic multi-purpose units whose affiliation is determined by characters and banners alone, the less well known houses can be great fun to do. These are the refs to House Cerwyn I've so far culled from the books

‘a battle axe for the Cerwyns’ (Game Of Thrones, p.550)

[At the Battle of the Green Fork] ‘Their captains led them on armoured warhorses, standard bearers riding alongside with their banners’; ‘Lord Cerwyn’s battle axe’ (Game Of Thrones, p.662)

Cley Cerwyn bore ‘the direwolf of Stark’ (Clash Of Kings, p.831)

They really leave you a lot of creative freedom both in style and content. Like a lot of other families, the symbols 'sigils' of the Houses are mentioned in GRRM's books, but not necessarily the colours of their heraldry. Depending on whether you want to be a purist or not you have a number of options...

1. Use only those houses whose heraldry is well quoted in ASOIAF colours and all
2. Use the associated refs like ASOIAF Wiki etc. where some imagination/guesswork is used
3. Use your own imagination on the limited info and your own take on the heraldry...

If you go for 3 then you could use 'historical' precedent to determine the colours used. In the origins of Medieval heraldry, colour was often used to show affiliation with a particular family or faction, before individual heraldry became the norm to distinguish the identity of armoured men in the field.

In my own Anglo-Norman army depicting Geoffrey de Mandeville's fenland rebellion (1140s) yellow and red predominate...
Geof. de Mandeville, E of Essex = Quarterly Or and gules, Or in the first quarter
His Bro in Law Will. de Say = [the same arms]
His Bro in Law, Aubrey de Vere, E of Oxford = Quarterly Or and gules [but the colours reversed]
His father in Law, Hugh Bigod, E of Suffolk = Or a cross gules
This practice persisted later in parts of Eastern Europe making it quite difficult to tell sires and sons apart.

Thus Cerwyn and Cassel are usually depicted with white [the house colour of their overlord] in many of the non canon sources.

It became the practice historically to differentiate sons using 'labels' and differencing, slight amendments and additions to the colour scheme using add-ons, like the label azure of Geoff Plantagenet, E of Anjou and Edward I and Edmund Crouchback on crusade.   

OR you could adopt a colour system like certain Japanese clans in the C16 a la Kurasawa in 'Ran' where simple clan symbols are used but units have different coloured backgrounds, but was by no means universally applied.

Either way let the creative juices flow and we all look forward to seeing what rolls off the production line!

Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 09:41:21 AM »
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Welcome to the club  ;)

Thanks Richard!

Well you're partially to blame anyway hahahahahaaaa after reading through your Perry WotR thread I navigated to their website to research further, thought a bit about doing a Medieval setting, then I read Frank's SAGA Westeros thread and me being a huge collector of Vintage Citadel Miniatures (Fantasy 3rd Edition) and possessing a love of history I thought that the Westeros using historical wargames models is just damn perfect  :D

Cheers

Gary
COMMISIONS OPEN - I CUSTOM KITBASH YOUR MODELS. 40K, STARGRAVE, NECROMUNDA, AoS; FORBIDDEN PSALM

https://withkoji.com/@IsItSheerMadness

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 09:45:35 AM »
Sukhe_Bator

Thank you for the references on the Cerwyn clan!

Were Cley and Medger both present in a Clash of Kings? It could be a nice addition to depict both the Dire Wolf and Axe on the Banner Bearers?

Cheers

Gary

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 09:57:28 AM »
Cley was at home I believe. He marched up against Winterfell when Ramsey took it.
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 10:07:16 AM »
There is evidence to suggest that GRRM has in mind a hierarchy of banners denoting rank and status with the Main/chief banners being on taller staffs and also multi-storey flags in use [presumably of the longer and narrower pennon/pennant/standard variety]

‘Hallis Mollen went before him [Robb Stark aka acting head of House Stark]… carrying the rippling white banner of House Stark atop a high standard of grey ash’ (GOT, p.562)

[At the Green Fork] ‘The white of House Stark was seen everywhere, the grey direwolves seeming to run and leap as the banners swirled and streamed from the high staffs’ (GOT, p.663)

'with 3 banners going before them, the crowned stag from the high staff, the direwolf of Stark and Lord Beric's own forked lightning standard from shorter poles' (GOT, p.453)

'A column of armoured men... They are flying a purple unicorn below the lion of Lannister... a son of Brax' (COK, p.592)

Should make some interesting figures...

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2016, 10:43:13 AM »
sukhe_bator thanks for reading the books again for us . Are you going to post the quotes on the stacked thread for further reference?

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2016, 11:36:34 AM »
Are you going to post the quotes on the stacked thread for further reference?
With appropriate guidance/help for this ageing Luddite I'll be be more than happy to... ;)

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2016, 03:24:26 PM »
I think Dilettante Gamer is running the stacked threat on GoT I think if you contact him he might put them up there!

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2016, 03:34:22 PM »
I hope he's watching... o_o

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2016, 06:07:58 PM »
I hope he's watching... o_o

Indeed he is...  ;)

I'll copy paste into the heraldry post within the stickied thread above.  :)

This is how it's supposed to work! Find written or visual references, let me know, and I'll add them as we go!

Cheers, all!
With goodwill to all and malice towards none...

http://dilettantegamer.blogspot.com/

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2016, 08:24:33 AM »
Told you!

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2016, 08:26:20 AM »
So, I'm taking the plunge and make my first purchase the European Mercenaries and Light Cavalry boxes, plus the WotR Command Sprue so I have some options to mix and match the first units  :)

P&P from Perry to Germany is actually very reasonable, for the above it will be GBP7.48 which is cool  ;)

I will also be investing in some Snow, Leaves and other bits for the basing from these chaps:

http://www.sceneryworkshop.nl/scenery/sneeuw/

Will also be buying some Green Stuff and Clay Shapers to add the Fur Cloaks etc. I also read that if you mix a 1:4 Ratio of FIMO with Green Stuff, it makes the GS smoother and easier to work with?? So, perhaps I'll buy a packet of FIMO too  :D

So, whilst I'm waiting for the models to arrive I'll do more research!

Cheers

Gary
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 08:56:36 AM by King Arthur »

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2016, 03:08:58 PM »
Whilst digging around I have seen a few renditions of the Sigil, but the most popular and correct (?) would be the black twin headed battle axe:

Don't recall the episode this was from, but the Cerwyn banner can be seen:

Although the imagery shows Stark troops, I just love it, very inspiring for poses and weapons....