Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:24:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690814
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: WESTEROS - Perry Miniatures - House Cerwyn Project  (Read 27983 times)

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
Re: WESTEROS - Perry Miniatures - House Cerwyn Project
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2016, 10:01:27 AM »
So, here's the second trooper now complete with his Fur Cloak:

and as I mixed up too much green stuff, I built a 3rd model and gave him some outfit updates also  :)

As he had an open jacket, I opted to give it a fur lining, I think it turned out quite nice and cozy looking  ;)

Since I took the photo, I have adjusted the rope for his cloak clasp, it now sits closer to his body and under his chin.

Hopefully tonight I can begin painting them  :)

Cheers

Gary
COMMISIONS OPEN - I CUSTOM KITBASH YOUR MODELS. 40K, STARGRAVE, NECROMUNDA, AoS; FORBIDDEN PSALM

https://withkoji.com/@IsItSheerMadness

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
    • It's a Hobby, not an Addiction!
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2016, 01:13:40 PM »
Really enjoying this thread, and the winterised infantry look great with the shaggy beards.

Also glad that others out there get a real thrill when models turn up on the doorstep!

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2016, 02:50:34 PM »
very very nice start indeed like the new models too! Now slab some paint on ;)
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2016, 03:22:20 PM »
Really enjoying this thread, and the winterised infantry look great with the shaggy beards.

Also glad that others out there get a real thrill when models turn up on the doorstep!

Thanks! I must confess that this is my first attempt with Green Stuff aside from using it to plug gaps!  I received a tip to add in a small part of FIMO to the mix, approx. a 1:4 ratio of FIMO to GS; the FIMO gives the GS a softer more pliable consistency to work with. I'm really happy with the Beard in particular but the whole project is so much fun!

I did get a big wave of nostalgia when I opened the cardboard box and saw the goodies inside! One of my first boxed sets was back in 1990, the old Skeleton Army, a gift from my parents, so I suppose my sub conscious kicked in and all of a sudden I was 12 again  ;)

very very nice start indeed like the new models too! Now slab some paint on ;)

Oh I will  :) Some new colours from Vallejo arrived with the post today, so now I'm ready to roll!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 03:24:38 PM by King Arthur »

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2016, 09:14:47 AM »
Now then, I only managed to apply the base coat of Vallejo Model Colour Neutral Grey to the models last night! Perhaps later I can start applying the other colours!

Regarding basing, I think I will use the Impetus rules as a guide, purely because I don't want to base then as single models nor do I want them all nicely ranked up and marching in disciplined order, I want a looser looking 'formation'.

EDIT: Also, shields, when I start the mounted troops and knights should I use Round or Heater Shields? If I use Stark as a reference, I have seen lots of Round shields for both cavalry and infantry, where as House Baratheon seem to favour Heater shields for example. In the interests of perhaps keeping it 'true' I'd like your opinions  :)

Cheers
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 02:15:03 PM by King Arthur »

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2016, 01:35:29 PM »
EDIT: Also, shields, when I start the mounted troops and knights should I use Round or Heater Shields? If I use Stark as a reference, I have seen lots of Round shields for both cavalry and infantry, where as House Baratheon seem to favour Heater shields for example. In the interests of perhaps keeping it 'true' I'd like your opinions  :)

True to what? The books or tv show? The historical period the books are maybe based on? The historical period the Perry miniatures range represents?

I think the answer is do what you want!  :)

Minor rant warning....
Personally I don't like the idea that the northerners are all clinging onto Dark Age style fashions, with round shields and such, whilst all the southerners have more 'modern' equipment. I also REALLY don't like the idea that every major house has completely different styles of armour, like in the show. Though of course there are arguably good reason a TV show does this. But I just can't imagine Roose Bolton or somebody saying "Right guys, I've had a great new idea for a uniform, it'll really make us stand out! You're all gonna wear this sort of helmet, and have this sort of shield. I don't care if it's out of date or completely impractical, we'll look really EVIL!"

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2016, 03:13:35 PM »
True to what? The books or tv show? The historical period the books are maybe based on? The historical period the Perry miniatures range represents?

I think the answer is do what you want!  :)

Minor rant warning....
Personally I don't like the idea that the northerners are all clinging onto Dark Age style fashions, with round shields and such, whilst all the southerners have more 'modern' equipment. I also REALLY don't like the idea that every major house has completely different styles of armour, like in the show. Though of course there are arguably good reason a TV show does this. But I just can't imagine Roose Bolton or somebody saying "Right guys, I've had a great new idea for a uniform, it'll really make us stand out! You're all gonna wear this sort of helmet, and have this sort of shield. I don't care if it's out of date or completely impractical, we'll look really EVIL!"

Nice answer Charlie  ;)

I just put the question out there, as all the imagery I have seen of the Stark Household troops has them carrying round metallic shields, but yes, this is a fantasy project, so I'll whatever shield type I see fit  :)

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2016, 10:32:18 PM »
Here are some very crude WIP's taken with my iphone, I've begun to define the shadows and highlighted areas, now I'll go back in and blend the points where the two meet so it looks a bit smoother. Also the work has begun on the armour, I used a base coat of Vallejo Neutral Grey mixed with Vallejo Model Air Steel to give a nice flat metal look, I have since layered on some GW Nuln Oil wash to define the recesses.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2016, 09:50:58 AM »
very nice painting start

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2016, 09:48:20 PM »
Hello!

The first 3 are ready, sans base! Here's some quick pics of the progress! I'm waiting for my new macro lens to arrive, so apologies for the less than crisp photo's, but I wanted to get something posted so you know the project is alive and kicking!

Cheers

Gary

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2016, 09:58:26 PM »
Impressive - very nice with paint on them!  :-*
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2016, 10:52:04 PM »
I'm liking those - you have managed to convert them subtly in a way that changes the look nicely, from the original WoTR to Westeros.

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
    • It's a Hobby, not an Addiction!
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2016, 12:06:46 AM »
Nice one, all that fur (and face fur) looks the bees' knees now they're painted up! Like the weathering on the pikes where they get handled, nice touch.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2016, 09:38:31 AM »
very nice painting style  :-*

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2016, 03:49:56 PM »
Thanks for the comments Chaps!

Next up will be the groups 'leader', I'm planning on converting the model to hold an axe, keeping inline with House Cerwyn's sigil.