Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:21:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WESTEROS - Perry Miniatures - House Cerwyn Project  (Read 27859 times)

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
WESTEROS - Perry Miniatures - House Cerwyn Project
« on: March 02, 2016, 01:19:55 PM »
Hello!

I'm going to take the plunge that many others have done before, but with the new season of GoT around the corner and having been inspired by a couple of other members projects I am kicking off my own one!

I wanted to paint a House from 'The North' as I like the background and they also strike me as a tough, no nonsense military outfit  :) I didn't want to do the obvious and go for Stark (plus 'Frank' has already produced a beautiful rendition of this House); so I am opting for their closest ally, House Cerwyn.

I will exclusively use Perry Miniatures and look at mixing up box sets to add variety. The ones I will go for to build the army will be:

WR20 Plastic 'Mercenaries', European Infantry 1450-1500
WR1 Plastic Wars of the Roses Infantry
AO 50 Agincourt French Infantry 1415-29
AO 40 English Army 1415-1429
WR 40 Mounted Men at Arms 1450-1500
WR 60 Light Cavalry 1450-1500
WR 50 Foot Knights 1450-1500

I will also need to source some War/Hunting Dogs in either metal or plastic if anyone has tips on a good manufacturer?

Does anyone know if there are references on the military structure? Although it is classified as fantasy, it is heavily influenced by Medieval Europe; so I could follow a Fuedal System of Knights/retainers mixed with levied infantry.

As House Cerwyn is wealthy and powerful I envisage them as having a somewhat professional standing army, so the core will be centered around Lord Medger Cerwyn and his Household Troops (Mounted and Foot Knights and perhaps armoured Bowmen such as the Medieval English fielded), coupled with his 'professional' troops, this is where I'd use the Pikemen, Billmen and unarmoured Bowmen.

Any support literature or imagery would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance and now I need to decide on which troops to begin with...... I have been impressed/inspired by Franks Pikemen for House Startk, so perhaps I'll start with the Pikes of House Cerwyn...?

Cheers

Gary

COMMISIONS OPEN - I CUSTOM KITBASH YOUR MODELS. 40K, STARGRAVE, NECROMUNDA, AoS; FORBIDDEN PSALM

https://withkoji.com/@IsItSheerMadness

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
Re: WESTEROS - Perry Miniatures - House Cerwyn Project
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 03:08:41 PM »
Personally I'd not restrict myself simply to a single House. Starks were the Northern overlords, and Cerwyn a subject House under them. You'll need to decide how you want to play your forces in the larger scheme of things. You're looking at approx 150 foot and 24 cavalry based on your stock list.
My Lion Rampant Northern Alliance retinue is composed of 6 Houses, each fielding 4 archers, 2 bill, 2 pike and a Foot captain and standard bearer. As you can see on my thread, the Riverlands retinue fields 5 foot units in total. I plan to supplement this with bidowers and mounted units, both light cavalry and men at arms. LR allows you to tweak the points system to suit different contingencies.
Given how the books and S1 to S3 of the TV series pan out, I'm fielding Bolton, Karstark and Frey as 'Northern separatists'. My Northern Alliance is composed of House Stark, Umber, Hornwood, Glover, Tallhart, and Ryswell. That way I can game several encounters including repelling Ironborn incursions. Cerwyn and Cassel while part of this alongside several other lesser houses, don't really get a mention in the action, so I've decided to leave them out for now. But as you can see my roster is shy the equivalent of 3 Houses.
Or you could go how others have opted with various more generic looking units with varied commands to suit different scenarios.
Dilettante Gamer and I are both of the opinion that for Lion Rampant, Northern levy would probably field more pike but in the less well trained and armoured 'foot yeoman' category. The North being poorer and less populated would not have the same armour tech as the South. Ther'd be a small core of household troops stiffening a larger proportion of well meaning but green levies and probably a good proportion of hunters/archers. DG has some interesting thoughts on tailoring 24pt retinue composition to represent the various Westerosi forces...
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 03:40:50 PM »
Personally I'd not restrict myself simply to a single House. Starks were the Northern overlords, and Cerwyn a subject House under them. You'll need to decide how you want to play your forces in the larger scheme of things. You're looking at approx 150 foot and 24 cavalry based on your stock list.

Thank you for the detailed and informative reply  :)

I'm not intending to use all the models from all the boxes, more cherry pick heads, torso, weapon combos etc to get a unique and varied force. I do like the idea of small core armoured centre, which will represent Lord Medeger's Household and then fill the ranks out with Pike and Bill and I'll have quite a few Archer models from the sets, so fielding the skirmishers will not be an issue.

At this point in time I had not thought about a Gaming System, just wanted to paint and model a small force for the sheer joy of the project  ;)

Cheers

Gary

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 04:04:30 PM »
I can guarantee that having cherry-picked all the components for your ideal retinue, the piles of plastic will sing you a lullaby 'build me...build me...build me'. Before you know it you'll end up like Captain Blood with a horde of figures in a mad frenzy of scalpel shavings, glue and green stuff!

I look forward with keen interest to see your progress. Welcome to Westeros!

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 04:06:45 PM »
If you are going for Cerwyn then I would suggest that you have two Sers in Cerwyn colours (mounted and foot versions) as Medger and Cley.  You can then have sub houses to round out a unit of men-at-arms (House Condon and some you have made up - unidentified cousins, etc).  You can then sprinkle these other houses into your Cerwyn banner men.  That way you have flexibility in building up your force.  If they are just the local men, have called their banners or fight as part of something greater.  Medger and/or Cley may ride as part of a unit of men-at-arms or lead a smaller force with just pike and archers.

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 04:07:46 PM »
Sounds like a great project, good luck!

Or you could go how others have opted with various more generic looking units with varied commands
to suit different scenarios.

I'd recommend this. Say you have 20 infantry in 'neutral' colours, greys and browns with the odd spots of red, green, blue etc.... You can make them a command group featuring banners and livery jackets of your preferred house. If you ever get bored of that house later, just paint up a new command group and swap them out! Not every model in the unit has to be in the livery colours, and I'd argue they look much better in more neutral colours, but that's just my taste.
Anyway, that's what I'm doing with my Riverlands project.

You say you don't know what gaming system you'll use yet, but do you know how you're going to base them? Singly or in groups? That will obviously greatly effect which system you choose.

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 04:19:58 PM »
Also something worth noting is that like most other Northern houses, the Cerwyns don't actually have knights, as far as I know. As in they follow the old gods, whilst knighthood is associated with the Faith of the Seven.

There are a few knights in the north, Ser Helman Tallhart comes to mind, and now that I think of it Ser Rodrik Cassel as well, which is interesting - I always assumed he was a 'true northerner'.

I could be wrong though, but I don't think Cley Cerwyn was ever refferd to as a Ser in the books.

Doesn't really have much effect on your project though! :)

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 04:42:36 PM »
The Cerwyns do have at least one (hedge)knight. Roose Bolton commands ser Kyle Condon, a close friend of Lord  Cerwyn to take command over the Cerwyn troops after Medger died.
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 07:40:46 PM »
Welcome to the GoT craze that all the cool kids are doing nowadays!

I will add this thread to our illustrious roll call of fellow travellers and kindred spirits in the stickied thread at the top of this forum.

I would encourage you to have a peek at Sukhe's thread.  Creating several households from the North might give you more room to flex your creativity.

He's not kidding when he says kitbashing begets more kitbashing.  I started aiming to create only Stark and Lannister (inspired by Frank) and now I've built out FOUR retinues with a fifth in queue.

Looking forward to see where you take your vision!!

Cheers!

Wade
With goodwill to all and malice towards none...

http://dilettantegamer.blogspot.com/

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 09:37:41 PM »
I believe warlord games produced some wolf hounds and kennel master in their Celtic Ancients range.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 10:20:21 PM »
Painterman had some medieval hunting dogs sculpted but they may all be gone now. And may be too sleek for what you're envisioning.

http://je-lay-emprins.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/release-hounds.html#comment-form

But they are awesome sculpts, though! Right out of Gaston Phoebus illuminations.

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 10:42:16 PM »
Thank you to everyone whom has replied and given advice and pointers, it's truly appreciated  :)

On the Warhounds/Hunting dogs, the Warlord ones don't quite fit the bill and the alaunt hounds as you say are a bit sleek, I'm looking for something a bit 'meaner' mastiff type dogs....

Regarding the subject of Rules and Basing, as said I'm not at this moment restricting myself to basing for a system, however if there is a rule set out there that allows for creative use of ranking up then that's the one, I'm not looking at the troops marching in highly disciplined ranks, all neatly arranged in line! Also regiment size, for example the Mercenaries boxed set offers 18 Pikes and 4 'command' models, so you could field a 20/22 man unit?

I'm a complete novice when it comes to the Houses/Families etc which is why to start out with I'll stick to one House and expand later, I want to keep the scope small and the momentum high!!

For the colour palette I will use muted, natural tones as I have a large array of Vallejo, so plenty of Greys, Browns, Greens and Olive shades  :)

I'll mix in some whitish livery for the Nobles but certainly aim to avoid over using this colour.

Still weighing up the starting unit, as the Light Cavalry box is great...... Cavalry or Pikes.....

Thanks again chaps!

Gary

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 10:48:34 PM »
Pikes are easier to paint than cavalry !  ;) :D
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 10:53:47 PM »
Pikes are easier to paint than cavalry !  ;) :D

Quoted for truth

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 11:20:21 PM »
For the colour palette I will use muted, natural tones as I have a large array of Vallejo, so plenty of Greys, Browns, Greens and Olive shades  :)

Good choice. Here's a unit I painted in 'neutral' colours, they are currently aligned to House Bracken. However just by switching out the standard bearer model, they can be re-aligned to any other house I have made flags for! I'm aiming towards a large army, and am really looking forward to seeing hundreds of troops in these colours. Bright colours are overrated!