Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:27:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Defense of Bixby Station - an Old School Colonial game  (Read 6745 times)

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Defense of Bixby Station - an Old School Colonial game
« on: March 03, 2016, 03:54:22 AM »
One of the best things I've gotten out of LAF is meeting Daryl Haselton -- who goes by Arundel around these parts -- who it turned out was a not-so-distant neighbor, roughly 20 miles away.  This past Saturday I was lucky enough to get an invitation to play in one of Daryl's 54mm "Sardakar" games.  Sardakar is Daryl's own imagi-nation variation on the Sikh kingdom of the 1840s.

The game used rules I had heard of but never played before, Bob Bergman's Fast Play Indian Mutiny Rules, which worked great, and are available free online, here:

http://www.rpbergman.com/wargames/rules/INDIAN%20MUTINY%20FAST%20PLAY%20RULES%20(2010).pdf

It was a game straight out of the play-rooms of HG Welles or Robert Louis Stevenson, using blocks, Playmobile accessories, and assorted other knick-knacks for terrain, and even incorportating the surrounding furnishings into the scenario -- a bookcase adjacent to the game table turned out to be a mountain range, atop which the Sardakar deployed their artillery!

The setting was Bixby Station, a lonely post in a heretofore unknown corner of India's frontier, where a thin line of British and Gurkha troops had to hold back an onrushing legion of Sardakar regular, tribal, and religious fanatic forces.

It was a fantastic game, and I thank Daryl for inviting me to participate.

I just put a post up on my blog with a somewhat detailed AAR.  If interested, please click on the LINK below to visit, and thanks in advance for your time if you do so:

http://maiwandday.blogspot.com/2016/03/attack-on-bixby-station-old-school.html

Meanwhile, here's some of the 230+ photos which I posted on my blog...

Thanks again, Daryl -- and lots more on my blog!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 06:00:03 AM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Defense of Bixby Station - an Old School Colonial game
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 05:46:43 AM »
What, a bearded lady?  Eek!  But what a fun looking setup - always nice to see the fun put back in.  That's where we all started, having fun.  Or should have.

Are these the rules illustrated by Nick Stern?  If so, I played in such a game run by Bob himself many a year ago. (or not, just clicked the link and saw the rules.  Not the ones I thought, but I did seem them played at a convention a time or two.  Might have played fine but just didn't work for me visually.) 

Is that the Pillsbury doughboy moonlighting in the 17th photo here on LAF?

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 05:59:41 AM »
FifteensAway,

I have been led to believe it is a related youth -- the Cadbury Chocolate company mascot, by note of one of his socks having slid down his calf, and he is indeed in the midst eating a chocolate bar!

Funny, though the rules were not the ones you thought at first, that thought led you to mention Nick Stern, and it's always great to hear or read his name, as he is one of the nicest guys I know in the hobby, and a dedicated fellow colonial gamer!  In fact there is a plan afoot for him to come South for a visit to my place at some point this coming Spring, which I hope comes to fruition.  If it does, I'll try to introduce him to Daryl (aka: Arundel), hopefully around my gaming table!

NOTE: the "Bearded Ladies" are in fact Sardakar Infiltrators, who have disguised themselves under Victorian dresses, but -- I suppose due to their devotion to tradition -- refused to shave their beards.

Oh -- and YES, the game was indeed a great deal of fun!

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 10:35:49 AM »
looks brilliant fun Mad Guru!! :D

cheers
Ged
www.gringo40s.com

Offline thequestingvole

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 12:54:44 PM »
As I said on your blog - what a magical game. What make are the Sikh war figures?

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 03:10:40 PM »
I blush as I type this. Thank you, Guru, for the kind words regarding me and the game. We'll have to meet again soon--after all, there is still the green eye of the little yellow god to seek after, and there are rumours the Sardukar have raised another force to avenge their defeat this past Saturday...

Vole, the figures are almost all by Dorset Toy Soldiers of England (extra points for guessing which county!). If you are interested in such things, I would highly recommend Giles Brown, the proprietor, for his helpfulness and service. He is a very good fellow. And his catalogue...oh my, the treasures it holds...

http://www.dorsetsoldiers.com/

Offline S_P

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 05:02:17 PM »
Old School cool- wonderful set up- looks timeless.

Offline Brian Smaller

• Mad Scientist
    • The Woolshed Wargamer
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 07:42:39 PM »
Perhaps it is the big kid in me but this game review made me feel young.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 08:13:02 PM »
Perhaps it is the big kid in me but this game review made me feel young.

Same here. It brought back memories of the desperate battles between Britains soldiers, legs men and plastic army guys that used to rage on my bedroom floor years before I even knew wargames were a thing.

Fabulous report.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 04:01:26 AM »
Nick Stern is indeed a fine man, one of the best people I've met in thirty years of this hobby since I got back into it back in '86.  And he is very talented, too. 

And, yes, this post transported me back to days of youth when Airfix figures and Lego buildings and Lincoln logs and either blanket hills indoors or dirt hills out back - and toy soldiers, too - all created wonderfully imaginative adventures that transported me to far away places and times.  And there was never a rule in sight - just unadulterated (unchilderated?) fun. 

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 09:01:24 AM »
FifteensAway,

I have been led to believe it is a related youth -- the Cadbury Chocolate company mascot, by note of one of his socks having slid down his calf, and he is indeed in the midst eating a chocolate bar!

Is it possible that Puggsly may be the Fry's Chocolate boy (seen here in happier times)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fry's_Chocolate_Cream

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 10:17:20 AM »
Charming in every way  :)
Love the flag  lol

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 10:34:07 AM »
well, I started playing with Britains and Timpo plastic toy miniatures [cow boys and Indians  in early sixties] and I am ...  "unfamiliar" with these miniatures. Never seen them in Greece.They look interesting in their own way.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 02:45:12 PM »
Hi Bezzo,

Thank you for your kind comments. The link works for me, but these things can sometimes be rather mysterious. Not sure if this is another, but try this:

http://www.rpbergman.com/wargames/indianmutiny.htm

Hope that helps! They're a great set of rules and work wonderfully for both group and solo play.

D.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 04:13:28 PM »
Hmm, how frustrating. Here's what you might try: do a Google search for free wargames rules, which should find the site I originally found them on (though its format has changed); click on "19th Century" and look under "F" for Fast Play Mutiny Rules--that's them. Here's a link, but I'm beginning to suspect it might not help:

http://freewargamesrules.wikia.com/wiki/Category:19th_Century

Another thing you could try is to search for Fast Play Mutiny Rules and see where that takes you. I think you'll find they're worth the trouble. Good luck!