Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:13:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Osprey Black Ops FAQ and Errata - Please add your questions!  (Read 17532 times)

Offline GuyB

• Bookworm
Osprey Black Ops FAQ and Errata - Please add your questions!
« on: March 03, 2016, 12:54:26 PM »
I'm writing an FAQ for Osprey Black Ops. If you have any queries, please post them here.

I've also taken note of this previous thread:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=81510.165

Any and all questions you have would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Guy

Offline c0cky30

• Bookworm
Re: Osprey Black Ops FAQ and Errata - Please add your questions!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 10:47:32 PM »
A walkthrough example of a stealth mission on how guards, spotting and reacting as well as raising the alarm works would be extremely helpful.  I know there are examples in the book of some of the actions however some parts can be a little confusing.

Offline c0cky30

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 10:49:23 PM »
By the way, these are superb rules.

We have used these for Nam and will be giving them a go for the 'Wild West' as wel for something different.

Offline GuyB

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 08:13:15 AM »
Ok I'll include that. Thanks.

Glad to hear you're enjoying them. Wild west eh? There's a cool idea...

Guy

Offline comet5

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 04:42:44 PM »
I agree.  A walkthrough of the stealth would be good.  It took me about ages to figure it out and I'm still a little unsure.

Everything else seems to have fallen into place fairly painlessly.  Lovely set of rules.
Alea Iacta Est

Offline GuyB

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 07:40:51 PM »
Thank you. Perhaps I should do one of those YouTube videos... Hmmm...

Offline Simon141

• Schoolboy
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 05:31:57 PM »
Yes I'd like a walk through of the Observation Tests as well and what can Guards do when they spot something.
Thanks

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 10:31:23 PM »
Yes I'd like a walk through of the Observation Tests as well and what can Guards do when they spot something.
Thanks

Shouts Alarm! +2 noise
If you have control of the guard then you can open fire instead...

Offline KaiserFranz

• Student
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 08:45:47 AM »
Hi,

read the rules thoroughly and played a few situations against myself - like it very much!!!!

Is there a lethal radius for HE weapons - e.g. if a Grenade hits a Model and let's say scores 3 Hits, how far away in inches are Models potentially hit?
All other Model within 3" of the Target Model?
And what about Mortar Bombs - is there a different range in inches?

Greets

Offline KaiserFranz

• Student
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 01:10:08 PM »
Hi again,

another question for the "Stealth Game": Does the attacker as well as the defender have to roll on the observation table or the defender only?

Greets

Offline GuyB

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 10:52:04 PM »
Is there a lethal radius for HE weapons - e.g. if a Grenade hits a Model and let's say scores 3 Hits, how far away in inches are Models potentially hit?
All other Model within 3" of the Target Model?

As I wanted to avoid using templates in the game, I decided to use the concept of 'groups'. Any friendly models within 1" automatically form a group. There are benefits for morale and individual models cannot be targeted in a group. So when a weapon hits a group, the models in that group are affected - the number of hits from HE is the maximum number of models hit.

And what about Mortar Bombs - is there a different range in inches?

The game only envisages small and medium mortars. There's a good argument for bigger weapons having a greater effect and affecting more than one group - but this is a skirmish game and avoids having to worry about deviation if a shot misses. A cheap 'cop out' I know, but that's why they were ignored to keep the game simple.

For bigger weapons, such as 120mm mortar round or similar I'd say that a 3" grouping sound realistic.

Guy

Offline KaiserFranz

• Student
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 07:34:57 PM »
Dear Guy

thanks for the answers - but did I get somethin wrong - the rules on P. 11 say that a Group is all visible allies within 3". You say that it is any friendly figure within 1" of the original target figure - what is correct?

Another question for the "Stealth Game": Does the attacker as (on the Defender's Blinds) well as the defender have to roll on the observation table or the defender only?

Greets Franz

Offline GuyB

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 01:35:45 PM »
Dear Guy

thanks for the answers - but did I get somethin wrong - the rules on P. 11 say that a Group is all visible allies within 3". You say that it is any friendly figure within 1" of the original target figure - what is correct?

You are correct. In the original version it was 1". In final editing I think Phil queried if 1" was a little too tight so it changed to 3" - which is probably a little generous. The principle is that friendly models together count as a group. Groups can be split up or reformed at will - you are not stuck in a group for the entire game.

Another question for the "Stealth Game": Does the attacker as (on the Defender's Blinds) well as the defender have to roll on the observation table or the defender only?

The attacker is assumed to have the advantage. He has drones in the air or live satellite feed. So the way I've played it is the attacker knows where the defender is (excluding blinds). With Blinds, he knows something is there but not what. If a 'Blind' is in the open, then yes it may be observed. If it is in a building, then the attacker will have to find a door or window to peer through the uncover the blind.

Guy

Offline KaiserFranz

• Student
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 04:12:13 PM »
Dear Guy,

got it, thanks for the answers.

Another question concerning "Barrage Fire" on P13: An area of 3" is set. Every unit who crosses it receives all hits.
Every unit that "Clips" the Zone receives only half hits.
What does "Clips" mean?

Greets Franz

Offline shepard88

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 05:59:26 PM »
Hey

I think, that  close combat fighting rules need some tweaking.
Now, due to relatively short ranges of in-game shooting weapons (comparing to movement distances of figures), there is quite easy to run into close combat which in 21st century warfare should be rare and last resort method. defender should have a chance to either break from charge and flee or lay a defensive fire on charging attacker (maybe with +1 modifier to reflect the stressful effect of being charged)

Greets