Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:08:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690599
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: If You Have Gamed Edgar Rice Burroughs...  (Read 2158 times)

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
If You Have Gamed Edgar Rice Burroughs...
« on: March 08, 2016, 07:41:14 PM »
At the Earths Core, The Land That Time Forgot, even Pellucidar (I am leaving off world adventures out of this for the moment). If you have experience of gaming in this genre, what did you use for rules. I know (largely) what is out there, but what did you use, and what were the strengths/weaknesses? I ask because I see offerings from Antediluvian miniatures and an unheralded set of miniatures from Warlord (Lucid Eye). Is this a rising tide?

Offline CthulhuPunk

• Librarian
Re: If You Have Gamed Edgar Rice Burroughs...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 10:14:48 PM »
From a role-playing point of view I think the Hollow Earth Expedition rpg has to be the closest ERB experience. As you can tell from the title it started as Hollow Earth adventuring, but progressed to Surface World and then Mars - there is currently a live Kickstarter for Perils of Mars, an adventure supplement and the cheapest way to get hold of the core books too.

But I am very much a miniatures person and have recently been buying all makes of this genre - and I agree that Lucid Eye have been fantastic as have Pull Alley. This was actually how I discovered Pulp Alley and I intend to use the PA system to run mini PA games throughout my rpg campaign.

Yes, I think there is a bit of a ERB/pulp revival going on. Modiphius will be launching John Carter rpg, miniature line and boardgame this year. People's main concerns here is the Disney-fication of source material. I will wait and see. Also not keen on the 2d20-lite system it will use. The miniatures could be good though if they learn from Achtung!Cthulhu and do 28mm heroic scale to match most other ranges.

Also, Call of Cthulhu 7th edition is coming out and with it comes the much anticipated Pulp Cthulhu rule set.

Talking of Disney, the ERB estate have got the John Carter rights back and apparently intend to reboot a film series!
Follow more witterings on Twitter: @CthulhuPunk

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 04:37:03 AM »
...I agree that Lucid Eye have been fantastic as have Pull Alley. This was actually how I discovered Pulp Alley and I intend to use the PA system to run mini PA games throughout my rpg campaign.

Yes, the works of ERB definitely influenced the way we designed Pulp Alley. Specifically, you may want to check out our Perilous Island campaign.  ;)

Let us know if you have any questions.

HAVE FUN

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 06:37:42 AM »
Perilous Island for the win!
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 11:08:39 PM »
You might want to look at this thread in the VSF/In Her Majesty's Name section, Quartermain at the Earth's Core:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=85838.0
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 05:06:10 PM »
You might want to look at this thread in the VSF/In Her Majesty's Name section, Quartermain at the Earth's Core:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=85838.0

Interesting! Oddly enough, I have IHMN, which has remained unused so far, and i never thought of using it!

Dave, I have Perilous Island, and am planning a Pulp Alley mini campaign at my local club in May. It will be more of a Pulp Planet theme though.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 05:08:18 PM by Commander Roj »

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 07:16:11 PM »
Interesting! Oddly enough, I have IHMN, which has remained unused so far, and i never thought of using it!

Dave, I have Perilous Island, and am planning a Pulp Alley mini campaign at my local club in May. It will be more of a Pulp Planet theme though.

Most of perilous island translates well to any setting, in this case turning the arival on the island into the arival on another planet would be easy and still fit entirely. the native islanders could easily be native martians, quite fitting if you consider they come with their own recruitment and gear list!
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 07:45:14 PM »
I was very disappointed with the "Pulp Cthulhu" supplement when it finally came out. I can only hope that that Chaosium will redo it.

Offline CthulhuPunk

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 08:09:04 PM »
I think the original Pulp Cthulhu was universally seen as disappointing! But I genuinely am excited for the CoC 7th edition version that is almost ready. They have good funding & good people working on it!