Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:49:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

Frozen City Fashion (Timbor) vs. What's in the box? (wolfie907)

Frozen City Fashion (Timbor)
462 (96.5%)
What's in the box? (wolfie907)
17 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 476

Voting closed: March 27, 2016, 12:48:41 PM

Author Topic: Round 3 - Frozen City Fashion vs. What's in the box?  (Read 4271 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Round 3 - Frozen City Fashion vs. What's in the box?
« on: March 20, 2016, 11:48:41 AM »

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
Re: Round 3 - Frozen City Fashion vs. What's in the box?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 12:38:14 PM »
God damn, Warhammer's style used to be so much better.

Offline Stern Rake Studio

• Bookworm
    • Stern Rake Studio
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 03:22:23 AM »
Wolfie:

I have the same Orc figures you painted.  You're work is much better than mine!
Good luck in this season's Lead Painters' League!
Ted

Offline wolfie907

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 11:21:10 AM »
thanks stern I was pretty happy how these guys turned out though I think I'm headed for dead last I have no illusions as to my painting skills I just appreciate the motivation to get some figures table ready plus the tenth anniversary seemed like a chance to be part of the history of this community so I figured why not

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 12:11:27 PM »
thanks stern I was pretty happy how these guys turned out though I think I'm headed for dead last I have no illusions as to my painting skills I just appreciate the motivation to get some figures table ready plus the tenth anniversary seemed like a chance to be part of the history of this community so I figured why not

I'd be quite happy to play against your models, I think they're nice. If you don't already, I'd suggest grabbing a black wash and giving that statue-thing a once over with it and then drybrush to bring out the details.

It's just... Yeah. Beautifully painted Oldhammer.

I'm not sure if these competitions motivate me to get better or make me feel bad I'll never be as good. :')

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 02:30:41 PM »

Hey wolfie, you did a great job on those regardless. I do love the old school figures you have posted so far!

One thing you can try though - did you have the flash on when you took the pictures? I find that can help illuminate the pictures, but it also washes out the colours and makes highlights more stark.  I usually get better results with a couple lamps with daylight bulbs (5000-6000k colour temperature) and no flash.

For me, this competition is a good motivator to try and work on my photography skills. I find the leaders in this competition are as good as they just as much because of the quality of their photographs as much as their paintjobs!  ;)
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 08:32:39 PM »
I think I'm headed for dead last I have no illusions as to my painting skills I just appreciate the motivation to get some figures table ready plus the tenth anniversary seemed like a chance to be part of the history of this community so I figured why not

And that is exactly why I joined my first LPL! Well spoken.

I created a "light box" to take pics of minis for these competitions. There are tons of variations you can find by Googling or searching this forum. Essentially the idea remains the same. You have an open box whose sides are covered with white cloth of some sort. You shine lights on the white cloth to get a diffused light -- much softer than direct bulbs. You'll need a tripod, too, and a camera that you can put on timer delay so your exposures can be longer than hand held.

Entering these LPLs has forced me to upgrade not only my painting skills (trying new experimental effects), but also my photography and scene-staging skills. Think of it is as a self-help class, in addition to be a fun competition! In addition to your goal of getting more figs painted up for the table, you also win by learning new things.

Good luck, sir!

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 08:34:52 PM »

That's the spirit! Thumbs up, Wolfie  :)

Offline wolfie907

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 01:55:24 PM »
Well thanks gentlemen, yeah that fountain could use a wash i tend to speed paint terrain. As I mostly joined to get stuff painted those of you that enjoy old school will be happy to know the majority of my submissions fit into that category so there is more to come. I am not a great photographer i rarely take pictures i did build a lightbox so ill endeavor to improve in that regard, i did think the flash looked ok on this picture kind of like torch light but i definatly take the point of how it washed out the image. I just use my phone to take pictures so im not to sure about tripods and what not i may up grade at some point time will tell.

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 08:45:04 PM »
But what is in the box?

Something green?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 09:21:29 PM »

I like your attitude.