Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:03:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tribal Game at Salute 2016  (Read 13304 times)

Offline werekake

• Librarian
Re: Tribal Game at Salute 2016
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 04:34:56 AM »
That Mammoth herd looks tempting!

http://arcanesceneryandmodels.co.uk/shop/deezee-miniatures-mammoth-herd-28mm-wargames/

Looks like they'll be at Salute.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 04:37:41 AM »
Steve is a lovely guy, met him last year in the infamous Nottingham Mafia enclave.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Online racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 03:20:30 PM »
I'm interested in stone age gaming (some may say that's what we do out at Berwick anyway) and would probably grab a few figures is Eureka did some. I've been eyeing off their Neanderthals for years. I do have Steve Barber's Prehistoric Settlement set and a few extras, enough for about 3 tribes, so I really don't need any more. But, you know...

I do want some of those Maori canoes though. Run off another three would you, Mike?

I ordered those rules and some lucid eye models to start my stone age collection.

Offline Iceaxe

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 01:02:19 AM »
Werekake,
So I'm unidentifiable? Good, I shall remain a mystery, until the canoes arrive at Berwick or Eureka. Or Little Wars. But no, not Peter.

I have also picked up 2 or 3 mammoths of the sort you find in toy stores or museum gift shops, can't recall where, but I think they're better than Barber's (sorry Steve), pretty much the same size. The Prehistoric Settlement game is good fun, like the early Age of Empires on the tabletop. Haven't got to Primal yet (still working through Far Cry 4) but I suspect not quite the same. I have the two expansions, too, which are pretty good. I got the boxed set years ago, my figures aren't dressed for the colder climate and the mammoth has a family now, I see. There was also a lot of resin scenery - it was a wonderful set!

Offline werekake

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2016, 02:07:16 AM »
iceaxe - We'll work it out! There can't be that many wargamers in Berwick. ;) Far Cry Primal is... different... from the others. Kudos to the designers - I think they made a great game in a genre that is hard to do for a fps. Some interesting mechanics in there re:tribal warfare. Mammoth figures? I think my heart's set on those arcane scenery ones...

racm32 - Yeah, I bought the Lucid Eye figures as well. Neanderthals for me, and my friend has Cromagnons. Lovely lovely figures.

I'd like to see some more stuff out there - give a 'tribal' variation to figures... Maybe a Clan of the Cave-Bear/Wolves/Big-Cats etc. Maybe some Denisovans that reflect the tribal populations of Australasia/Melanesia?

And back to the Maori game at Salute! Have finished the gates of the Pa (maori settlement).

Just about time to start packing - fly out Wednesday!

Offline Iceaxe

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2016, 05:59:06 AM »
Have you seen the Pulp Figures ranges? Two would apply, the Melanesian Island Warriorsin the PSS range - as well as the Volcano Queen, I just noticed - and the Lost Tribes (I think), which is here http://pulpfigures.com/products/category/15 but unavailable at present. Some useful stuff in there. I have a lot of Bob's figures & the paint just seems to take to them.

Offline werekake

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2016, 11:20:19 PM »
iceaxe - Yeah, those would work really well for Papuans & Fijians... maybe Vanuatu... hmmm, might have to get a set. The warclubs are nicely done. I quite like the masked magician/shaman in the Volcano Queen set, and the totem/statue.

I've done a print run of fliers/handouts for Salute, as well as a tiny print-run of the rules. For anyone at Salute, come and have a chat with us, we're right across from Eureka in the far corner, and I'll be glad to give you a handout - has a starter set of rules and a Maori raid scenario in it. Have a chat with Nic if you'd like the rulebook.

One week to go!  ;D

Offline werekake

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 08:24:42 PM »
Okay, last minute rebasing done.

Packed everything away, and printed out my copy of the Salute map - will be checking out quite a few traders' stalls methinks.  ;)

Flying out today, Salute in just a few days!

My mate and I will be travelling around the UK afterwards - up to Nottingham to see WH world and Foundry, stay in Bamburgh for a few days, check out the Arbeia roman fort in South Shields, and then going to the Royal Armouries Games Expo, before heading to Hastings/Portsmouth for more wargaming related activities. Will be posting lotsa pics on our tribal facebook page, if anyone's interested.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2016, 09:16:43 PM »
Wishing you the best of luck guys, will be sure to follow your photos and updates on the Facebook page at:

https://www.facebook.com/tribalgame/
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline JellyRovers

• Schoolboy
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2016, 08:53:13 AM »
This was easily my stand out game at Salute, invested in the whole lot after just one test round!  Now been busy reading up as much about Maori culture as I can...

Offline discok3

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2016, 09:14:17 AM »
I'll be investing soon but need to find a UK stockist..waiting to hear from Fighting 15's
Good moaning

Offline werekake

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2016, 06:42:08 AM »
Awesome! Glad you guys enjoyed the game so much! I think it's a great game too,  especially the combat,  and I'm always happy to share Maori culture with people.

It was a Looong flight to get to Salute   but we got there in the end and we had a freaking fantastic time. We were like kids in a candy shop, checking everything out and meeting lots of like minded wargamers.

Lon and I have been travelling around England since Salute  doing lots of wargaming related things.  Drove to Nottingham and met Bryan Ansell at Foundry; bought a pint at Bugman's Brewery at Warhammer world; hung out with the lovely people at Warlord Games; drove to Bamburgh and checked out Roman forts and met Alan Marsh (sculptor) at Newcastle; met Tony Barton (another sculptor) in York who gave us a tour of the city; played some HYW at the Royal Armouries in Leeds yesterday (fantastic day,  I'd highly recommend it for the friendly games AND the museum); met the Perry Twins and went all fanboy-shy...  :)

In Hastings now,  will check out battlefield today (research for big game later this year) and then visit mate in Ashford for a game of 6mm moderns.  Fly back home tomorrow!

Re:Tribal,  I only had a limited print run of rulebooks which I brought to Salute and we sold out of (I wasn't sure people would be interested) .  When I get home I'll be uploading the pdf via online for purchase ,  and we'll be doing another print run of the rulebook.  Will try and send out via fighting 15's and Eureka US, or just throw me a message /email and I'll sort you out. Cheers!

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2016, 02:59:45 PM »
Just bought the rules on WV - please release an ink friendly version at some point - I'll have to get Staples to print these for me if I cannot manage with the PDF on screen.

I'm going to try 15mm Inuit skirmish and will have to make up rules for sleds / Shamans and the odd animal or two lol  I may use measuring sticks rather than cards for movement due to the size of figures leaping around the board at breakneck speeds.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2016, 09:06:38 PM »
There are mini playing cards available (I got a couple of packs last time I was in Vegas). But yes - here's another one waiting for the print version.

Offline werekake

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2016, 11:26:13 PM »
@Von Lucky - I'd sell you the single print copy I have left, but I promised it to my mum! :) I'd be interested to see the small printed cards...

@AndrewBeasley - Ink friendly version, I could ask my printer to look at doing this. For the book(let), we printed on A3 sheets and used 'camelback binding'? (I presume this means he folded and stapled down the middle). I could ask him to provide a pdf which would allow downloaders to do likewise?
In terms of WV - I'm trying to work out how we can provide free updates to current purchasers (updated rules, faq's, print-friendly versions, discounts for future supplements etc), hopefully I'll get it sorted soon...

15mm Inuits sound fascinating - please post some pics when you get the time, would love to see it. I must admit I don't know much about them, I know they fought the Cree a fair bit. And there's a chapter on Cree-Inuit warfare in the Hudson Bay area, from a book titled North American Indigenous Warfare and Ritual Violence (which I can't seem to get my hands on).

I'd loooove to see what you come up with for Shamans and sleds. One of the MAJOR fun elements of this ruleset is that we seem to be able to come up with all sorts of special rules from the card-mechanics etc. For example, Magic is something we are puttering around with at the moment...

When I can get a webite setup, I'd like to have a forum as part of it where players can discuss their own cultural/historical interests, and where new rules-ideas/force-lists could be discussed and playtested.

In the meantime, enjoy the game! ;)