Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:48:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689701
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tribal Game at Salute 2016  (Read 13333 times)

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Re: Tribal Game at Salute 2016
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2016, 01:36:38 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

My printer will do a booklet on A4 paper giving me an A5 sized set of rules.  Looking at the pages it would help just to take the background brown out  :)

I'll have a look at the Cree wars - I did find this http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/blog/posting.asp?ID=434 that notes Vikings lost to the Inuit...

Offline Mr Brown

• Scientist
    • Speartips and Spaceships
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2016, 04:37:50 PM »
A bit late to the party here, but is this Tribal from Mana Press?

I saw an advert for it on the Wargames News blog and mighty intrigued. Unfortunately I'm travelling with work and the site seems to be blocked so I'll have to wait until I'm home.

From the chat here it looks like something I'd be very interested in reading at any rate!

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2016, 05:26:56 PM »
A bit late to the party here, but is this Tribal from Mana Press?

I saw an advert for it on the Wargames News blog and mighty intrigued. Unfortunately I'm travelling with work and the site seems to be blocked so I'll have to wait until I'm home.

From the chat here it looks like something I'd be very interested in reading at any rate!

Thinks that's the one mentionned here and on my blog  ;)
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline werekake

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2016, 05:52:20 AM »
Andrew - thanks for the feedback. I'll have a chat with our graphic designer and try and get a print-friendly copy on Wargame Vault for download. Will let people know on here when it gets done...

Mr Brown - thanks for your interest. I like to think that, even if the rules don't grab you, there's enough reading material in there to - at least - pique the wargamer's appetite for some new genres/periods.

Belgian - can always trust you to have comprehensive coverage of everything happening out there!

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2016, 11:54:12 AM »

Belgian - can always trust you to have comprehensive coverage of everything happening out there!

Thanks doing our best  ;)

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
    • My 'Dressing the Lines' blog
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2016, 09:53:40 AM »
For Māori pa palisades and structures, you could consider 3D printing.  My mate Matt Barker at Printable Scenery here in Paraparaumu (NZ) sells a range of 3D printing files that would be perfect for this period.  You just need access to a 3D printer at your end to print them out:   http://www.printablescenery.com/5-historic

Here is a blog posting about the Māori pa that Matt printed out and I painted: https://arteis.wordpress.com/2015/03/11/worlds-first-3d-printed-maori-pa-completed/

Sample pics from that blog:

Roly Hermans
Paraparaumu, New Zealand

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2016, 02:27:34 PM »
Wow!

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2016, 04:00:17 PM »
Just saw the rules advertised on my Wargames Vault newsletter and downloaded a copy.

First off, excellent concept! The Honour model could be applied to tribal warfare in many if not most locations and the scenarios are certainly applicable on any continent. The mechanisms are novel and will provide some challenging gameplay, different from the D6 based norm.

Next - brilliant cover art and the drawings and layout inside are fantastic too. I'd love to see a full glossy version of this - I'd buy it too. I think it's up there with the likes of Saga and Muskets and Tomahawks in terms of quality.

I think I'll take a look at gaming this from an early bronze age perspective, but it could also cover early Dark ages too. Hmmm.....does anyone do a Grendel??

Offline werekake

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2016, 01:27:49 AM »
@Emir - wow, thanks for your thoughts! Most gratifying to see gamers appreciate where we're coming from with Tribal - particularly a conceptual shift towards honour and cards as gaming mechanisms. I'm glad you like my drawings in the rulebook as well - I'll have to do some more. If you like the overall graphic design of the game, the graphic designer and cover-artist have also been working on a 32mm Dickensian steampunk game called Twisted. http://www.dementedgames.com/

The printed copies did turn out very nice. We brought some with us to Salute, but we sold out unfortunately... We're currently trying to get another print-run done soon-ish. Nic Robson from Eureka Miniatures will have some copies, soon-ish, so feel free to email him:  nicr@eurekamin.com.au

Incidentally, Nic has also done a 28mm Beowulf range which is quite nice... and I seem to remember he had a Grendel in there as well.

Long-term, we're looking to release a couple of supplements on pdf in the coming year - one covering Stone Age/Cave Wars with generic rules for running Tribal campaigns; and the other looking at Modern Riots/Gang-wars, with generic rules for solo-play.

What we would REALLY like to do is come back to Salute next year (we really enjoyed coming this year), with a big fat compilation hard-cover book to sell - including the original rules, the supplements, and further 'fan-built' army-lists and histories. eg Bronze Age/Homeric Greeks; Pacific Islands; Picts; Border Reivers; etc etc. We'll see how things go...

@Arteis The pa looks great. I'm wondering about the carvings though... have the details deliberately been avoided due to maori sensitivities? This is understandable, I suppose, but I reckon the gate and whare-panels need kowhaiwhai/tiki's etc... maybe I can try paint them on... Nevertheless, I MUST have this stockade - particularly the walls, given my attempt at making some didn't last very long... I've gone to download them, but I'm not entirely sure which ones I should get. If I wanted a BIG pa, 28mm scale, which models should I get? The maori pa stockade 2.0? or Tribal Stockade Large 2.2? http://www.printablescenery.com/home/114-tribalstockade-regular-v01.html

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2016, 09:14:29 AM »
@ Werekake  You are dead right about the carvings. I think there was a sense of not wanting to inadvertently stand on a specific iwi's foot - so the solution was to do something very vague. The designer is an Indian guy, and I'm told he wanted elephants on top of the posts, but was fortunately discouraged from that ;-)  

However, it might be worth talking to Matt before you purchase, as with some expert input on design (which it sounds like you could perhaps supply), they may be able to adapt the gate and meeting house files.

As for which ones to buy, remember that you are not buying models, but files that you can print off as much as you like.  So the size of your pa is only limited by how many you print!  

On my pa I have got three fence sizes, plus two styles of building, and of course the gate. Overall I think the largest fence size is quite high for 28mm, so if I was just getting one fence size, I would go for the medium one (two bars, as shown in the pic below).  I also sawed down the legs of the gateway a bit, as I felt too it looked too big.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 09:31:38 AM by Arteis »

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2016, 09:24:05 AM »
This little video of the Printable Scenery pa might give you a better idea of the way the various sized fences work:

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2016, 09:31:00 AM »
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 09:33:29 AM by Arteis »

Offline werekake

• Librarian
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2016, 02:10:26 PM »
OKay, finally got around to ordering everything I wanted - got the stockades, huts, gate and pa carving. Nice and easy to order with paypal. I got a friend with a 3-D printer so will start getting stuff made.

I also ordered some extra stuff... the dungeon tile set was too good to miss out on!

Arteis - Thanks for the help and advice, convinced me to get these. happy to help out with carvings advice. I'll have a look at the models I get printed, and see what could work...

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2016, 12:44:54 AM »
Big thank you for the printer friendly version.  I've just downloaded it from Wargames Vault F.O.C. :D

Offline werekake

• Librarian
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2016, 12:37:15 PM »
Oh awesome - I wasn't sure if I'd uploaded it correctly to Wargamevault. Thanks for that!

F.O.C all the way! Seems only right if you ordered the 'fancy' version. In fact, if people have the printed rulebook, just contact me and I'll be happy to email them the print-friendly pdf.

On further developments... talk has started on sculpting Hawaiians. Chiefs, Kahunas, Koa and pike-warriors. I'm really wanting this guy to get done:

« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 12:54:57 PM by werekake »