Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:08:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Beefcake's Supers project, 22 October. More terrain done.  (Read 10424 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Beefcake's Supers project, 22 October. More terrain done.
« on: March 24, 2016, 05:12:33 AM »
I've been messing around with a rule system of my own devising for supers and have started collecting a bunch of supers and terrain for superhero type things.

Recently I got a truck, 1:48 scale or something, from ebay in China. It cost about 6 pounds so not a bad deal and scales pretty well. I might buy a few more and take the backs off them so I can put some containers on the backs of them.
I've also cast up about 30-40 plaster containers from a mold I made (sold 10 previously which more than paid for the cost of plaster that would make 60 containers) So here are a few pics in relation to a resin container I made (not doing resin anymore, too expensive) and some minis.

And the container fits inside the trailer but I'd remove this first before attaching the container.

I've already pulled the cab apart and started painting it a different colour.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 06:05:39 AM by beefcake »

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
Re: Beefcake's Supers project
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 07:48:27 AM »

I do believe that is a Die-cast truck!  lol Great decals china.  ;)

Nice start Kieran, the truck sizes up rather well. You could take the back off and make a number of versions, you could even shorten it and make the front of a semi.  8)

Cheers
Matt

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 08:59:41 AM »
Yep. Those decals are definitely a reason to paint over it. Worst decals for a truck ever  lol
I've got a 5 day weekend coming up so I have good intentions but will probably do nothing. 

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 11:19:30 AM »
No stickers saying small parts are a choke hazard as some kind of company logo?  ;D

Ah Easter long weekend, the outdoors always beckons, and the family... Unless it rains. Either way you've made a start!

Cheers
Matt

Ps I've glued feet and legs to bases - I'm a little unsure on the ribcage posture, I just need to get on with it.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 11:40:29 PM »
I think I won't use the back of the truck on this one and I'll just use the resin container I have. It is pretty good size-wise but will need some touchups on the paint where it has chipped (Time for some varnish I guess)
Here it is loosely put together just to see what it looked like.

Lots more painting to do.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 07:13:42 AM by beefcake »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 02:07:14 AM »
Okay, so this was a quick job. Finished the truck now I can move onto some of my supers.
I've got a old dude in mechanical seat in all sorts of wiring (like Sludge Vohaul from Space Quest) and some robotic minions which can be seen in the first pic, also a couple of lizard guys from Hell Dorado that suit the super look really well.
I'm not going to bother gluing the container on. This was I can chop and change the back of it if I feel like it.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 07:14:00 AM by beefcake »

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 09:40:53 PM »
Always a fan of someone using a variety of minis to make their own supers, good work!

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 09:55:34 PM »
Very nice, you did it after all. Perhaps you could add magnets to the back? Or add magnets to the container/truck options then add a little steel plate on the back of the truck to stick the different options to! ;)

Cheers
Matt

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 04:52:33 AM »
Magentising would be quite tricky as the bottom of the container is open, i.e. there is no bottom to it. Would have been a goer though.

Here is my first hero and villain with some robotic minions.
I have a hefty bunch of villains but not many heroic types. I also have something I will be using for a villain of epic proportions. Excuse the overexposed photos.

I want to get the new Golem miniature from CP models as it looks really suitable for a metal man sort of hero. I also have a bunch of things on my list to purchase from Reaper (fantasy stuff also). And waiting on my order of things from Ramshackle to arrive. Also waiting for a bunch of O scale cars to arrive.
I'm currently trying to print off my art dfeco style building pieces on my 3d printer. It's being a pain though and things keep slipping off the print bed. SO I've had to resort to using double sided tape to ensure it sticks down (even then it doesn't work sometimes). After they are complete I'll be casting them up to make some buildings for the project with some foamboard.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 01:21:57 AM by beefcake »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
A good amount of stuff completed (well 2 minis and a bunch of containers) and some other minis I remembered I have that really suit this project.
Leonard Irving Quidman, L. I. Quidman (quite proud of that name) is on the right (The Amazing Mr Mud from Ramshackle) and Mr Crabby (Crabmandu from Ramshackle) and Ape X. by Reaper, Reaper Bones range. Ape X. was painted a while ago.

Some aliens, bought them from Hasslefree ages ago (I think Macrocosm owns them now) These were painted ages ago too.

And you can get a good look at the containers too. I made a master out of lasercut MDF and Acrylic and then moulded it and now I have 32 of these (10 still need finishing) I sold a bunch off as well which made me back my money on the plaster and probably the mold too.
Group shots of everything together so far.

The containers came out looking really likle dried dirt. I used Game colour Sepia Dipping Wash on them thinking it would turn out brown but forgot I had sprayed them with oil based paint. Still, I like the effect so will go with it.
I have a bunch of cars on my desk at the moment as well and am looking to paint them up.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 07:14:56 AM by beefcake »

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Nice. :) I'm very impressed by all the shipping containers, in particular. Any special type of plaster?

I didn't get Leonard Irving Quidman 'til you pointed it out. Good one. :D

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
 :D
Not any special type of plaster so I imagine they won't last a great length of time. Just Victor Casting Plaster. It's nice to have enough to have a good sized warehouse location for many purposes.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
Great work! Can't wait to see the games you get in on that set-up.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
The containers look very effective and the wash makes them look suitably grimy. :)
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/