Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:20:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley question - Plot Point Control  (Read 1499 times)

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
Pulp Alley question - Plot Point Control
« on: March 26, 2016, 12:11:57 PM »
One thing I have never been sure of and would like to clarify

If a figure goes down or out ...

they drop all plot points carried
lose all benefits listed on the card(s)
and the rules state the marker goes back on the table and specifically (my caps)

This plot point is now back in play and may be picked up by any character as DESCRIBED ABOVE

I have always played this DESCRIBED ABOVE bit as the character(s) picking up the plot point have to take another Plot Point Challenge

However, looking at it in "realistic" form - the original finder may have busted open a sealed crate to extract the actual item, therefore the hard work has already been done  - so just stealing it from the downed character sort of makes sense where busting open the case again doesn't.

This could encourage stalking and ambush, which is a valid game plan but seems too easy for the received benefit/reward.

I suppose if you play it this way the plot point could count towards VP's but not give the original benefits - which would seem fairer (and lets face it not all leagues are honourable, jolly good chaps after all)

Is it possible to have Phipps + Daughter guidance on this?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 05:06:00 PM by pauld »
No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline ivor13

• Scientist
    • Saturday Mornings 13
Re: Pulp Alley question - Plot Point Control
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 10:48:28 PM »
Interesting. I've played it the same way as you do - another challenge has to be passed to obtain the plot point - but your reasoning behind not completing a challenge because it's already been essentially 'completed' makes total sense.

Guess we'll see what Dave has to say.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 11:17:12 PM »
You interpretation of the intention of "as described above" is 100% correct.

To further clarify -- picking-up-a-plot-point always uses the rules for picking-up-a-plot-point. In other words, there is no shortcut to picking up a plot point when it is sitting on the table.

However...

Players should feel free to identify special plot points prior to the scenario --

No-Drop Plot Point -- This plot point may never be dropped, lost, or passed - even if the character goes down or ko'd.

No-Peril Plot Point -- This Plot Point is not perilous.

No-Challenge Plot Point -- Any attempt to pick up this plot point is automatically successful. Although the character must use an action, no Challenge card is drawn for the plot point.

Unlockable Plot Point -- After being completed by any character, if this Plot Point is dropped it becomes a No-Peril and No-Challenge Plot Point.

You can combine these special rules as you see fit. But I recommend using these special rules sparingly....

Consider this -- in the pulps things are not always as simple as they appear - and unexpected complications and perils abound. It is always about the action. For example....

Let's say a character is attempting to get a Antidote from a Shady Smuggler. We can say the Antidote is the Plot Point and call the Smuggler the Peril...

So a character beats the Smuggler (peril) and collects the Antidote (plot point).... but as he is moving away he is shot and goes down.

So now the antidote is in plain sight for anyone to grab -- easy, right?  But is that really how it would play out in a pulp/serial/action/adventure story?

Nah.... the antidote probably fell into a into a busy street... or down a storm drain... or into a pile of trash... or whatever inconvenient complication you want to say. And now getting it is going to still be a challenge.... but is it dangerous?

Oh yes! ... the smuggler wants it back... or the smuggler's friend wants revenge... or a mangy dog has it in his teeth... or whatever unexpected danger makes sense for the situation.

In my opinion, these kinds of unexpected complications and dangers are at the heart of pulp style stories. Anyhoo, that's why the rules are written that way. ;)

HAVE FUN

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 11:29:47 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply

I thought we were playing it as intended by the rules- we didn't actually put the scenery plot point down again but always made a little story twist to explain the extra challenge.

Some of your Plot Point variants sound interesting though ... I'll have to work those in somewhere along the line

By the way - eagerly awaiting the next book!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 03:57:08 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply

I thought we were playing it as intended by the rules- we didn't actually put the scenery plot point down again but always made a little story twist to explain the extra challenge.

Some of your Plot Point variants sound interesting though ... I'll have to work those in somewhere along the line

By the way - eagerly awaiting the next book!

Cool! I got a bit distracted for awhile, but I still intend to get the Egyptian Book released this year.

More to come.....