Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:00:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warhammer Old World skirmish  (Read 2006 times)

Offline seldon

• Scientist
Warhammer Old World skirmish
« on: April 05, 2016, 04:28:57 PM »
So last Sunday we took our Old World warbands for a run.

We are using Epic Heroes, the Brink of Battle (http://www.brinkofbattle.com/) fantasy expansion, and I've created warbands based around the fluff and models of warhammer fantasy battle 3rd edition Old World. Orc Boyz, Dark Elf Doomsteeds, and all the stuff that you find in the bestiary and in the Warhammer Armies book.

We rolled the recon scenario, which is basically a meeting of the two warbands were you try to break your opponent by eliminating his guys and or getting your models to his deployment zone

Initial deployment from my side ( Dark Elf side ).  The dark elf warband relies mainly on good missile troops and a powerful spell caster but can also leverage the hard hitting power of the mounted noble Doomsteed.
The orcs on the other hand hope to get many of their good orc warriors engaged, they also have a light chariot and Troll to provide tactical options and the goblin shaman on giant spider should use his primeval spells to obstruct the enemy.

First turn and things don't start too well for the Dark Elves, while moving forward the spellcaster attempts to cast some evil tentacles on the Troll but fails his focus check and gets shocked.

As the orcs advance the doomsteed sees a chance to charge the light chariot ahead of him counting on his armored warhorse to give him the edge, but the orcs play the break ( an interrupt held by the player who has lost initiative for the turn ).

The break is used by the goblin shaman to cast an eerie mist, kind of like a smoke screen, that prevents the doomsteed from seeing the chariot he wanted to charge !

So the only thing left to do is move around it and wait for next turn

The rest of the action starts to take shape as the dark elves close on the enemy deployment zone and the orc warriors prepare to engage..

Later in the game the dark elf spell caster once again tries his spell, but he attempts a very powerful and risky spell, probably an unnecessary risk on my part at that point. And the disaster happens, the caster once again rolls a 1 on his casting dice, needs to take a focus check and fails again but being a major arcana he ends up wounded and out of the game !!!  I have just lost my warband commander for this silly risk. Oh well, I'm a wargamer so I can always blame it on my "bad luck" :) forgetting that it was my bad call to take that risk !

Things are getting difficult for the dark elves now, they've lost their commander, the orc warriors have already taken out a witch elf and now they are overwhelming the lonely warrior on the left flank.  The doomsteed is engaged with the chariot and the enemy leader on warboar..

The troll on the right hand was hesitant to leave the cover of the ruins he found due to the presence of the dark elf crossbowman and decided to stay there and repeatedly regurgitate acid at the dark elf with no success due to being at long range, but the crossbowman finally lands a critical bolt on the Troll's head and takes him out of the fight.

As the orc champion closes in on the dark elf warrior that was making a move on the goblin shamman the dark elves are fighting for survival. The orc commander orders the light chariot to disengage from the combat with the doomsteed but the hard headed goblins refuse and they are slain by counterattacks when they try to strike the dark elf noble.

But this is too little to late, the dark elves have lost more than 25% of their warband and they've lost their commander so they fail their bottle test and leave the field of battle...  Orcs win !!!

The game was a lot of fun, the warbands prove to have some interesting tactical options

Here you can see a sample of some of my model cards

Orcs

Those cards can be downloaded here  https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgd6vhk9kmmizz0/Orcs.pdf?dl=0

Dark Elves

The dark elves are here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n65i090ljrxpgoq/Dark%20Elves.pdf?dl=0

I really enjoy this game, can't get enough of it.. and hope that my dark elves will get some revenge next time :) !!

cheers
Francisco

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 04:31:54 PM by seldon »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Warhammer Old World skirmish
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 04:49:21 PM »
Good looking game, and great cards (I have those icons too!).  Looks like you had a lot of fun!
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 01:45:19 AM »
Hahaha.. thanks.. yes those icons are great all hail the internet :)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 01:31:00 PM »
When I first started gaming a long time ago, that is how I imagined a game should look...BEAUTIFUL table & miniatures. WONDERFUL STUFF!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 03:01:52 PM »
Too kind sir :) thank you very much..

regards,
Francisco

Offline wolfkarl

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 03:46:54 PM »
Great looking game and a beautiful table. I like your cards as well.