Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:24:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Vesper-On closing its doors.  (Read 2783 times)

Online FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Vesper-On closing its doors.
« on: April 09, 2016, 07:39:37 PM »
Apparently Vesper-On, the makers of Carnavale, are shutting down: http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Vesper-on-Games_SELLOUT.pdf

For the time being you can contact the owner directly for sales and at some point the figure rights and moulds will be sold to another manufacturer.

They had beautiful sculpts and I was and still am interested in some of them (especially the Rashaar), but my god they were always pricey, close to GW prices even. I'm torn - I want to order some before they vanish, but I'm holding out hope that a new owner will come forward who might sell the minis for a slightly more affordable price (I doubt they could charge more).

The Vesper-On store is still up for now if you want to see the minis lines: http://vesper-on.com/en/
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 07:44:27 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Vesper-On closing its doors.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 11:35:34 PM »
I liked the figures a lot but it was the price that prevented me from taking the plunge.  Similar story with other European manufacturers, if they reduced their prices I'm sure they would see sales go up.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Online FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 03:51:47 AM »
By my current calculation, the five figures I want would cost me no less than $75... and that's before shipping.

I'm a guy who WILL pay more for expensive minis that I like, but man, there are limits.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 04:04:11 AM »
Crazy money.....
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 06:54:41 AM »
I liked the figures a lot but it was the price that prevented me from taking the plunge. 

Same here, the price point prevented me from buying their stuff.
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Morgan

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 09:47:18 AM »
I've got a couple of them because they're such lovely scultps and I adore Venetian Carnevale stuff. But, yeah, pricey. However, I think I'll probably go and try to grab the others that I really wanted before they disappear.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 12:16:52 PM »
This is a real shame, but not unexpected given the struggle the guys have had over the last few years. I think trying to get the 2 new (but sadly unappealing) games launched in quick succession before Carnevale re-established itself was a mistake.

The Carnevale figures are pricey although well worth what you pay, (even if rather fiddly to glue together) and the rules are superb. I think the problem is the setting, or at least gaming the setting. Unlike most warband based skirmish games which require a few figures and a small amount of scenery, Carnevale requires a huge investment in terrain (both in cost/time and storage/transport) to do it justice.

I loved the game and it's setting from the first releases and have a lot of time and money invested in it, both as a retail buyer and backer of the Kickstarter campaign, but very rarely get to play.
I hope someone picks it up and looks at the best/simplest way of creating Renaissance Venice on the table, ideally a non slip mat and preprinted coloured card or easy assembly mdf buildings and bridges. The PlastCraft pieces are lovely but far from easy to work with.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 08:05:48 PM »
Apparently Troll Trader is going to continue the game