Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:12:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689754
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Ventor class Star Destroyer for X-wing  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Schriv

• Librarian
A Ventor class Star Destroyer for X-wing
« on: April 10, 2016, 06:23:10 PM »
Just a little something I built up for some friendly games at home.
We are still tweaking the rules for the SD's. For now, they are big, slow moving terrain pieces that can ruin your day if you manage to stray too close.
Anyhow, I picked this up off eBay for cheap due to it being damaged and apparently having been played with as a childs toy.
The turbo laser barrels were gone and all of the engines were loose, but it cleaned up pretty nicely.
I decided it would look good as a tired old veteran still serving the Empire after a few decades of continual combat.
The ship was base painted with Testors Gunship gray from a spray can and then dry brushed with multiple coats of successively lighter grays. Once the first few coats were dry, I started masking off various panels between coats to give it some depth and to simulate decades of repairs and replaced hull plating. The panel lines were brought back out by using a mechanical pencil.
I have a new one still in the box that will get built in Republic colors.
In addition to the Capitol ship, I've also been working on some Micro-machines repaints. The Furious has just received some fighter cover to help crush the rebel scum.
The ETA-2's are done in an early Imperial scheme and use the stats and dials from an X-wing Tie Fighter FO for game play.
I've also got some F-toy ETA-2's in the same scale with the s-foils in the deployed position. I'm still on the fence about repainting those.

As a side project, I'm working on some Republic fighters and LAAT/1's.
The LAAT's will be using the tie bombers stats and be more or less a slow, armored missile boat.
There will also be some Imperial LAAT's hitting the table in the near future.

The first of my Republic era small craft.

Proud member of that peculiar subspecies of humanity known as U.S. Marines.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: A Ventor class Star Destroyer for X-wing
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 07:40:11 AM »
That old lady still looks great after the lift you gave her. Your painting is top notch! 8)

Great job on this kit; it looks perfect as an (even) larger ship for use next to those X-wing fighters. I bet it would not look out of place next to an Imperial Raider either.

I've always wanted me one of these for exactly the same reasons; to be used in X-wing, maybe as terrain or objective, but maybe even as a functional ship on its own. But they''re getting harder to find these days, so congrats on your find(s) too...

Are the Eta fighters in scale with X-wing ships? They seem a bit large, even though they're obviously very well painted. Especially next to the assault transport (which seems small). Are these Revell kits as well?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 10:32:59 AM »
Oh my - they are nice. The panel work is pretty effective in conveying age.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Schriv

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 02:01:19 PM »
Thanks,
It was fun slowly paneling her up. rather than do it all at once, I did a few sections every couple of days over the course of a week or so.

The ETA-'s are unfortunately 1/144th scale. A bit large for regular x-wing games, but no problem on my my home table. The LAAT-1 is 1/265 scale so it is really,really close.

Offline Schriv

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 02:48:45 PM »
Shortly after I picked up the Venator, I found this on ebay as well.
It's one of the 1990's Kenner 'Collector fleet' that has lights and sound. This one didn't have a stand or box, so I got it for $40 USD. The sound and lights still work.
It's 15" long, so a little bit smaller than the Venator, but will look fine protecting one corner of the table. I'm still playing around with the paneling. It has some deeply inscribed lines, but also a lot o surface detail that makes it very busy looking. I'm not sure if I even want to bother doing individual panels.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 10:05:16 PM »
Nice find. Little bit jealous.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 11:33:44 PM »
Nice find. Little bit jealous.

Come on, not a little bit, a lot :) Star Destroyers. Love em.
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 06:08:24 AM »
Wow, those are grand.  8) 8) 8)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 01:42:42 PM »
Found that the Mirco Machines sets:
http://www.hasbro.com/en-us/brands/starwars/micromachine/toys-games?limit=48&q=navigation.brand.restName%3Amicro-machines&sortby=price&sortdir=asc

Are being sold in Coles supermarkets (Australia) for AU$6. Now as bendy plastic toys it's probably the best option for getting the best range/version of these, and someone has already made a crack at determining their scale:
http://www.rebelscale.com/scale-lists/hasbro-micro-machines/

As the Eta-2, ARC-170 Fighter and Droid Tri-Fighter are all the same scale (although as stated a little big fpr other X-Wing ships), I think I'll get a couple of them to do something different.