Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:56:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SAGA at Ragnorak in YORK on 6th/7th August 2016  (Read 2977 times)

Offline Aubrey

• Schoolboy
SAGA at Ragnorak in YORK on 6th/7th August 2016
« on: April 15, 2016, 07:07:41 AM »
To partner our successful Vapnartak convention each February, this year York Wargames Society are holding a 2 day gaming event (no trade) on Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th August 2016. This will be at the Priory Street Centre which is located close to the City Centre.

In a city with such a strong link to the Dark Ages it seemed obvious to choose SAGA as one of the games on offer.

For SAGA although the days are linked it has been designed that either or both can be attended. All 'Dark Age' factions supported by Gripping Beast are welcome. All abilities are welcome. The format for each day will be a number of games on themed tables with themed scenarios (e.g. the Battle of Stamford Bridge - which lies less than 10 miles from York - is being play tested at the moment). The final game will be a climatic battle through the streets of Dark Age York (Jorvik).

We are currently sourcing a number of interesting and unusual prizes.

Cost is £12 for one day and £20 for both. Paypal is preferred - paypal@yorkwargames.org (please state SAGA Ragnaorak and your name). Other forms of payment can be accepted. This includes a snack lunch.

We will get details posted on the York Wargames Society website asap but any questions please let me know here. Thanks.   

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Re: SAGA at Ragnorak in YORK on 6th/7th August 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 04:32:20 PM »
If you have a poster/flyer let us know - I can put one up at one of the Scarborough clubs (there are about 4 clubs now) also the school club that I run.
Probably won't get anyone from school (it's in the holidays and they forget things really quickly) but they like invitations.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Aubrey

• Schoolboy
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 05:02:09 PM »
We'll get that sorted this week. Cheers.

Offline Aubrey

• Schoolboy
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 07:16:09 PM »
Just to update people on this.
 We are making good progess on arrangements. Scenarios are currently being developed for the first part of the day.
 The plan for the climatic battle through Dark Age York (Jorvik) is also coming on. We calculate we will have a minimum of 24 buildings for this and this includes some lovely Grand Manner feature buildings. There has been a bit of a delay putting details on YWGS website. This is because we are currently looking at how we can make our prize strategy. However all details are above.
Hope you can join us.
Any questions please post here.

Offline Dave Knight

• Mad Scientist
    • Lead Warrior
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 06:53:07 AM »
I can't see any more details on the York club website?

Offline Aubrey

• Schoolboy
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 12:32:20 PM »
My apologies that  there is nothing on the website yet. The content was ready but  had to be  pulled at the last minute due to a very minor issue. Its taken several weeks and a bit of stress but it is now resolved.
The content is ready to get put on.
This is why I am currently saying any questions pleasebpost here.
I'll alert everyone here once the website content is live.

Offline Aubrey

• Schoolboy
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 05:28:12 PM »
I've now reviews the web stuff and sent it off to the club member who looks after the website. Hopefully, won't be too long. In the meantime any questions please post here and I'll answer them.

Offline Dave Knight

• Mad Scientist
    • Lead Warrior
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 07:04:25 AM »
No worries - I know these things take a while to get sorted.

It would be a bit of a trek for me and I am not sure that I have enough brownie points in the locker but it sounds a really interesting event.  I actually prefer doing something like this than to going to a trade show.

If I were able to make it how many points would I need?  Being almost completely new to SAGA all I have at the moment is 4 points of Vikings, although I do have the figures to expand on that.

How many games do you expect to play each day and what would the hours of play be?

Offline Aubrey

• Schoolboy
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 06:33:38 PM »
Hi Dave,
Just checked website the information is not yet there.
The content though does not have a massive amount of information -  due to space. Its more a summary of key information.
In answer to your questions:
The event starts at 1000.
6 point warbands are listed. The thought being that gives a chance for more variety in warband composition  / strategy etc. If that was the only thing stopping you coming then we could probably help you out.
Number of games - probably 3 one to one followed by the big one. However still to work out timetable to give reasonable length games and finish time.
So we might actually go to 4 points after all that ! But best thing assume 6 now.
I sympathise with brownie points and journey length.
Any more questions (I think that was all of them?) Let us know.
Regards

Offline Dave Knight

• Mad Scientist
    • Lead Warrior
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 07:12:09 PM »
Thanks for the info - I will expand up to 6 points as it will be useful to have a force that size anyway

I will see what the art of the possible is and if I can get down or not

Offline Aubrey

• Schoolboy
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 01:52:54 PM »
Just to let people know that we still have a couple of spaces left on both the Saturday and Sunday. Details as above.

The prize package is almost finalised as follows:-
1= Victorious Warlord - a 4 point unpainted Warband.
1= Best Warband (judged on paint job, composition character) - an unpainted Viking Longship & unpainted hero figure.
Slaughter in Jorvik prize  - most kills in Jorvik scenario - set of painted casualties.
Team Prize - likely to be reproduction Viking coin for each winning team member (each day).
Best back story - Painted Bard.
Wooden Spoon - unpainted Gripping Beast peasants.

Those taking part on both days will have their best score counted.

The 5 scenarios have been worked up and we are doing our first play test session on Monday. A number of us are beavering away with painting etc to make the event as good as we can.

Any questions please let me know.