Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 08:28:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Vertical Castle Scenery  (Read 18228 times)

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
Re: Vertical Castle Scenery
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2016, 10:43:43 PM »
Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. Good luck.

Elk101, thank you very much! I'm in good hands, the nurses are just great!  ;)
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2016, 10:58:02 AM »
I remember this Necromunda building (or something very similar) and since then always wanted something like this. I tried two or three times but was never satisfied with the result.
I'm looking forward to your "new version" of this. Doing a Castle, where you can play from the underground Dungeons to the highest tower, is a great idea!
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2016, 03:48:14 AM »
I remember this Necromunda building (or something very similar) and since then always wanted something like this. I tried two or three times but was never satisfied with the result.
I'm looking forward to your "new version" of this. Doing a Castle, where you can play from the underground Dungeons to the highest tower, is a great idea!

Witchfinder General, thank you very much! It will take a while, but I think that this is a project worth taking!  ;)

Another inspirational picture from the web:

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2017, 10:49:02 PM »
I'm still interested in this project, if it's still alive.  Either way, what material did you use for the core frame of the vertical scenery?

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2017, 01:46:15 AM »
I'm still interested in this project, if it's still alive.  Either way, what material did you use for the core frame of the vertical scenery?

I've used a light metal bookshelf as the basis of a "skeleton" - so it's really stable and everything can be dismantled and put into big boxes for transport. The basic structure is 130cm high at this point (with a 100cm X 100cm floor area), with several levels: a cave with an underground river at the bottom, a dungeon with cells and a torture chamber, a crypt and several floors upstairs. The "stone" walls are basically a combo of textured white Styrofoam and carved blue foam, sprayed in 3 tones of gray and drybrushed from medium gray to white. Detailing of the interior, upper towers and pictures will start in a few weeks as soon as I take the damn plastic orange cast from my right hand!  ;)  

EDIT> I will build a ruined and very perilous stone bridge to the main gate as a separate structure, so the castle will have basically 3 entry points for the vampire hunters: the underground river and cave system, the bridge to the main gate and a suicidal climb of the cliff from the valley bottom.  :D

« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 02:24:49 AM by dinohunterpoa »

Offline Blodwin

• Scientist
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2017, 07:22:44 AM »
This is an entertaining thread - looking forward to seeing the final construct - are the old wargamers legends true that you can only build a haunted castle during the hours of darkness?

Blodwin

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2017, 10:20:27 PM »
Dino
Just seen this thread and it seems you have had on out of action right hand for nearly a year.
Hope you recover soon, this is beyond a joke - although I could think of a few but they probably aren't funny anymore.

This project looks very interesting, hope you are on the mend so we can see where it is going.
Take care

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2017, 10:48:42 PM »
Dino
Just seen this thread and it seems you have had on out of action right hand for nearly a year.
Hope you recover soon, this is beyond a joke - although I could think of a few but they probably aren't funny anymore.

Vagabond, many thanks for your support! I am the first one to say that its true that in life we need a hand sometimes!  ;)  

This project looks very interesting, hope you are on the mend so we can see where it is going.
Take care

Thanks again, mate! I intend to post new developments as soon as I get the hand of it!  :D

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2017, 05:37:31 AM »
I see a bad hand hasn't improved your puns. lol lol

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2017, 10:34:27 AM »
I see a bad hand hasn't improved your puns. lol lol

Let's just say that I am working hard to improve my mistakes!  :D

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2018, 06:26:38 PM »
Well, a little update here: I'm recovering from my latest (4th) hand surgery, so literally no "hands on" work on the project...

In fact, this project now is officially cancelled, because the two newest members of our game group are permanent wheelchair users, and so it would be very hard for them to play on a gigantic vertical scenery in the middle of the table! And all of us hardcore gamers know that WE are the only ones to move our own miniatures, right?!  ;)

I am just posting this update to say a big THANK YOU VERY MUCH for all LAFers that posted on this thread since its inception, with lots of great ideas, insights and encouragements! 

As soon as I am a little more recovered I'll start another Gothic Horror project... now a "horizontal" one!  :D

Once again: THANK YOU very much for your support, ladies and gentlemen! May the Force be with you... always!

;)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2018, 08:04:05 PM »

As soon as I am a little more recovered I'll start another Gothic Horror project... now a "horizontal" one!  :D

resurrection on the orient express....  lol

never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2018, 11:08:49 PM »
Dino - sorry to hear about your surgery, hope it's 4th time lucky and you recover fully.

How does the old Smirnoff advert go - I always thought Wan Kin was a place in China until I discovered Smirnoff. I was always told it was somewhere where you went blind I didn't realise it affected your hands as well. :D :D

Well my eyesight is going and so I know what's next.

Seriously - hope things improve.
Cheers mate

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2018, 11:28:15 PM »
Dino - sorry to hear about your surgery, hope it's 4th time lucky and you recover fully.

How does the old Smirnoff advert go - I always thought Wan Kin was a place in China until I discovered Smirnoff. I was always told it was somewhere where you went blind I didn't realise it affected your hands as well. :D :D

Well my eyesight is going and so I know what's next.

Seriously - hope things improve.
Cheers mate

Vagabond, thank you very much, mate!

They say 4 is a lucky number - well, in this case it's much better than 13 for sure - so I've got covered! AND I managed to regain all 5 fingers (well, most of...), so it's another lucky number!  ;)

Now all I have to worry in life is to decide between a Gothic horror miniatures project all in greyscale to suit my new and future painting skills (including the scenery, of course), or a modern vampire hunting setting using the tons of Heroclix prepainted plastics I've recently grabbed in an online auction... So, life is full of worries and doubts, but we manage to always get the upper hand somehow!  :D

Cheers!  

EDIT> AND the painkillers are very, VERY NICE!  ;D

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 11:40:28 PM by dinohunterpoa »

Offline Psychoflexible

• Scientist
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2018, 02:12:08 PM »
That topic was le a great source of inspiration for me. One day I 'll have space to building vertical dungeon.

Take Care and prompt rétablissement.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 03:55:38 PM by Psychoflexible »