Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:28:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ostfront '49  (Read 20945 times)

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
Re: Ostfront '49 *Update* Weird War British Indian
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2016, 11:03:53 PM »
Some work in progress German scouts. Having lots of fun cutting up minis and glueing bits together, especially as not enjoying painting so much at the moment. A mix of artisan bodies, westwind  heads & weapons with some green stuff & 1/35 kit details.

I'm going for a squad of battle hardened mech hunters, each one with some individual touches / weaponry. For SOTR these will be used as an Aufklarer squad & a Panzerschreck team but not worrying too much about the load out and can have some 'counts-as' if needed.

Still some modeling to do before getting paint on them. Currently not sure about the bipods on the mechbusch & may remove. The guy with the binoculars (far left) will have a detonator charge in front of him and the guy on the right needs a new arm and some detailed work on the Geballte Ladung.

onwards...

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Ostfront '49
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2016, 09:51:59 AM »
Ooh, missed this one.

Those are some involved modifications you have there (those bidpods look fiddly). Are you going for standard ocre uniforms, or a camo pattern?

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2016, 12:12:13 PM »
Thanks Wyrmalla,

Bipods are from a 1/35 kit - a bit skinny alright. Paintwise going with my overall scheme of Oak Leaf Autumn camp (see germans on page 1) but with a bit of additional camo (Oak Leaf summer & Swamp pattern) to mix it up and make them look more rag-tag. Although don't think I can pull off your style!

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2016, 12:29:12 PM »
They look amazing - look forward to the results!

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2016, 12:40:45 PM »
Oak Leaf autumn is fairly common with painters; I do rather like the summer greens myself. Autumn's probably a more universal camo though.

Anything goes though. Maybe stick in some of the fairly popular captured Italian camos too? :)

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2017, 04:11:19 PM »
Update! Photos not really showing them at best, especially the werewolves - not great light today. Got a bit of a painting rhythm going and working way through a second squad of German Mech Grenadiers

Soviet Squad painted a while back but only photographing now

German Werewolves

onwards...

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2018, 04:46:06 PM »
Well I've not posted here in some time (new house / new job / family commitments...  o_o) but looking to reboot this thread with more supernatural monsters, eastern front folklore  & super science / Mecha. Emphasis will be on the WEIRD of weird war and less on historical accuracy.

Mods let me know if this is ok or if i need to start a new thread...

Here's some Russian snipers.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 04:58:06 PM by streetkern »

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2018, 11:37:11 PM »
This evenings work on the windmill.

The side and roof detach so you can place models inside. I had lots of different attempts on the internal structure but I think this works - realistic enough for the inside of a windmill but still playable. I always think there is a fine line between good wargaming terrain and sylvanian families.

Bit of work still to do on the roof, some minor holes to files and I want to bring out the grain on the wood with a wirebrush before painting.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2018, 08:46:06 AM »
Nice work.
Moody black and white.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2018, 11:37:43 AM »

Very nice, fantastic work on the windmill :)

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2018, 12:20:50 PM »
Thanks folks!

I really like how Inq28 people use B&W photos for their work in progress shots so decided to do the same. Helps to bring it all together and make the whole thing much more art-y, rather than the mess of coffee-stirrers and superglue it is!

I have torn the house apart looking for some DAS modelling clay but seems to have been culled at some point so this will add a bit of a delay in getting the windmill finished. But did manage to pick up some 1:50 diggers yesterday - originally for the hydraulics arms to use for Spider Mech legs but they are too big to work. The body however is perfect for a Soviet Propaganda unit idea I've had in my head for years so determined to get moving on that. Ordered some Copplestone Bolshevik Commissars & Heroines who will form the unit members.

In the meantime sharing other completed units - the Russian command Squad I've finished last week (after 3 years semi-done), and a shot of all my Russians on a completed 2'x2' tile.

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2018, 01:48:46 PM »
This war, this death & violence, did not go unnoticed. They come from across the void to test themslves against all this planet could offer. They come to hunt...

The windmill is work in progress, all modelling done and undercoated. Some more russian troopers completed too but a few shy of a completed squad. Instead of finishing them I really felt the need to paint up this fella.

I have some of the copplestone Predators so thought a small warband would be a nice addition to the Ostfront. Tabletop standard - highlights a bit ropey - but nice to paint something from a different manufacturer.

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
Re: Ostfront '49 *Update: Windmill finished*
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2018, 09:56:31 AM »
Windmill finished (after 7 years!!)

Really happy with how the wood came out - spraypainted black, then dusted with grey spraypaint, drybrushed earth, wash with tea. The roof and side both come off (magnets) so I can place models inside - it's not too fussy with details either which I like. I want it to be realitvely dark / limited colour palette so it forms a backdrop to the miniatures. Still some minor bits to do on the cogs to make them more rusted but giving me good push to do more terrain.

Looks like it might be a chilled evening here with time for hobby stuff so should I finish off some Russian regular troops or do Trees or start my Soviet Propaganda tank?

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2018, 01:01:56 PM »
Looking pretty good. As you say, it's backdrop for the miniatures, but I like what you've created.

I say go with some Russian troops, that can hold that piece of terrain.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2018, 10:18:51 PM »
Thanks Von Lucky!

As it turned out  not a chilled evening (or week) so feck all done. But did set up a some of my existing Russian's defending the windmill. I find it hard to take these kind of 'action shot' photos - the perspective always seems distorted so any tips appreciated.

Some stuff on the workbench... 2nd Russian squad and removed the bases of the Copplestone commissars, including magnetizing a foot of each of the ones on the right. A bit of greenstuff to tidy up / hide the magnet and level them out, then good to paint. Works well with the new metal kitchen table