Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:12:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686658
  • Total Topics: 118118
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ostfront '49  (Read 20946 times)

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Ostfront '49
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2018, 09:10:23 PM »
Really nice figures

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2018, 09:32:02 PM »
But did set up a some of my existing Russian's defending the windmill. I find it hard to take these kind of 'action shot' photos - the perspective always seems distorted so any tips appreciated.

Don't completely understand the question. Are you trying to show off all the figures or tell a story? If the former then have them in a line(s) roughly the same distance from the lens. For the latter choose the figures that look like they're on guard duty and have them in the shot (only a handful of figures). The sniper on the windmill is a good example. The back ground should be like a stage - flat(ish) terrain like the side of a building or line of trees.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2018, 08:59:51 AM »
@majorsmith thanks!

@vonlucky cheers. I'm trying to do too much here. More the latter (tell a story). You are right less figures and a flat background would help. I'm thinking also a tighter shot would be better, the side of the board and the white background / wall is forcing the perspective a bit. Must get making a treeline so!

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2019, 06:19:42 PM »

Lovely paintwork all round, it’s been said before but I really like your gas masked faces for some reason. How have you found prepping the SOTR figures? Yours look lovely but I still have bad memories of some panzerjump troops I did.

Weathering with tea is also most intriguing- windmill looks excellent.

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2019, 02:47:39 PM »
Thanks @ragsta. Appreciate it.

Honestly the sotr figs are a pain to prep. Mould lines and random lumps. The hand and weapons in particular are a bit misshapen. But they do have a charm. I've been starting into the new genestealer cult models from gw. Different class entirely.

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2019, 11:21:36 PM »
Some Work in Progress trees from early Jan. Very bright in these photos, they have been dyed / stained with tea about a billion times but still not happy with the look, even for a first attempt at homemade trees.

I'm going to strip them and go back and redo the foliage - less of it and (much) more muted autumnal colours

But these give an idea where i'm going... I do really like the grey / brown / green bark

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2019, 09:53:28 AM »
Very nice. How are they standing up?!

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2019, 11:34:35 AM »
Thanks. They have rare earth magnets at the bottom (to connect with magnets on the base).  I have a metal kitchen table so that's how they are magically standing up in the picture!

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2019, 12:10:34 PM »
I know you don’t like to them, but I think they look great! I love the colours. :-* The only suggestion I would make would be to spray the foliage with watered down PVA. It stops the scatter falling off a wee bit.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2019, 01:22:56 PM »
They look fine for early autumn. Though yes if you're wanting a more saturated look then that's your choice. I'd just mix them in with more trees that you do get "right" instead of spending more time on them to be honest. :)

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2019, 09:54:36 AM »
@andym @wyrmalla thanks - good points

Here is the current state - I think with a bit of trimming, reapplying some dyed bits and some ground scatter I can knock it on the head pretty quick without too much additional effort.

And will definitely spray on some watered down pva - already shedding loads as they get moved around the house.

Offline wolivant

• Librarian
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2019, 02:14:34 PM »
Hi,

Lovely Wood !

Best trees I have seen in awhile actually.. sterling work.

Wolt

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2019, 10:35:33 PM »
thanks wolt!

I'm putting off going back to this wood for the time being - maybe tomorrow...

That said I've been getting excited about my British Indian army and completed a 5 man unit (only 3 years since the first member got painted!). They are fairly easy to paint up so I think I'll keep going with these. I have a 10 man squad and this command group to complete before I start adding in weird war elements like the mounted lancer below. He needs more greenstuff on the legs and his explosive tipped lance before painting. And 4 more mates...

I also got these scythe minis today from board game extras - going to use the tiger to accompany my Indian special character and also use the bear for the Russians. They are a bit soft in that boardgame-y way and also slighter than 28mm minis but I think they look great.

I love the aesthetic of Scythe and Jakub Rozalski - big influence on the look I want to achieve for Ostfront 49. Google him if you are not familiar with his work.

I was going to trade / make 28mm mini-mechs out of the 10mm scale mechs you get in this bundle but instead I think I might paint these up for a little game with the kids. I really just want to make a mini terrain tile for these more than anything. Not that I need another project... I know this blog would be more interesting if had some consistency.

Onwards...

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2019, 09:05:02 AM »
Interesting conversions.

The trees look good.

The scatter gun approach is interesting (if not productive ^__^).

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2019, 10:37:41 AM »
Another Scythe player here :D
I too love the vibe, I like that it's a bit vauge too.

I've been pondering a 28mm build of th emechs but fomr the drawings some of them would be city block sized...  The Russivet or Saxony ones are probably the most practical

Are you following Iron Harvest?