Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:01:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690326
  • Total Topics: 118325
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ostfront '49  (Read 21043 times)

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
Re: Ostfront '49
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2019, 10:27:17 PM »
Thanks for the comments

@Ultravanillasmurf - yes the scattergun approach is not being massively productive but so many ideas . Envious of people who can crank out an army in a few months.

@Rich H Been following Iron Harvest - I'm not a video gamer but it looks fantastic. Ana Polanscak has a 28mm Scythe-inspired mech on her blog if you have not seen it -  http://gardensofhecate.blogspot.com/2018/12/

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2019, 10:18:50 AM »
@Ultravanillasmurf - yes the scattergun approach is not being massively productive but so many ideas . Envious of people who can crank out an army in a few months.
I am envious of anyone who can crank out an army ^___^

Offline fluffy05

• Scientist
    • One Painters Crusade
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2019, 04:00:54 PM »
Beautiful brushwork!

consider me subscribed  :-*
'The German today is like the June Bride; he knows he is going to get it, but he doesn't know how big it is going to be.' - Gen. Richard "Windy" Gale, 6th Airborne Division Commander

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2019, 09:49:07 PM »
@fluffy05 - Thanks

@ultravanillasmurf yep me too. So many inspirational threads on here (and elsewhere) while I tip away every few weeks painting a figure.

More Indians in progress with 6 in various stages on the painting table

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2019, 11:37:15 AM »
Fun to read through this in one go. Really great work! The windmill loks fantastic, and I'm looking forward to seeing that Soviet monument finished (even if I wait a few years  ;)).

Any plans for the Predator mini you painted? I remember having a few aborted attempts to come up with a scenario/rules revolving around a predator/Yautja. Something something chameleon camouflage...

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2019, 08:38:36 PM »
Fun to read through this in one go. Really great work! The windmill loks fantastic, and I'm looking forward to seeing that Soviet monument finished (even if I wait a few years  ;)).

Any plans for the Predator mini you painted? I remember having a few aborted attempts to come up with a scenario/rules revolving around a predator/Yautja. Something something chameleon camouflage...

Thanks Bowiefan - yes I really should finish off the soviet monument. I fried my old computer with the design  files so need to find the print out of the template I made to complete it.  I don't really play so no plans for the predator rules-wise, except to make a little war band.

In other news...

Sadly I tripped and upended ALL my Weird war models (& some plague marines) so now looking at a bunch of decapitated, de-weaponed minis with bases missing and LOTS of chipped paint. On top of that my models accidentally got a layer of grease on them from leaving then in a stupid spot in the kitchen and not turning on the extractor fan when doing some cooking.

Feeling fairly deflated as I seem to be painting the same 50 models for the last 12 years on and off. If anything my painting skills have degraded in that time and frankly just bored of them now. Hard to get the motivation to head back in and start into them again...  :?

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2019, 08:08:04 AM »
I am sorry to hear about that.

No idea the best way to get the grease off without accidentally stroppy the paint.

I hope to see them renewed (or as this is the weird war sub forum, Reanimated ^__^).

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2019, 09:24:36 AM »
Urgh - sorry to hear.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2019, 08:12:02 PM »
Sorry to hear :(

For grease try a bit of plain soap and water.  Should leave thf paint untouched

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2019, 08:42:44 PM »
Thanks folks.  Taking a break for a few days.

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2019, 10:11:03 AM »
Back into it after a few weeks off, spurred on by the fact I'm slowly getting my painting & hobby set up sorted.

6 Weird War Indians finished - 4 more to go to close out the infantry squad and command team (15 in total). I started to paint the rims a matt acrylic black which i think is making everything look a lot neater. Experimenting with a new background for the photos - might be a bit dull. Starting to get a excited again about this Weird War Indian detachment and did a bit of greenstuffing on the cavalry model too last night.

After chipping all my weird war models I did a bit of retail therapy and got the mantic hellboy boardgame. The humans don't really scale well (bit too tall) but there are a good few of the more interesting minis that will work for my weird war setting - especially the baba yaga which is a lovely model and one I have definite plans for

First up is Ualac, lesser daemon of hell. Enjoyed painting this fella - a nice change from basic troopers.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2019, 01:02:18 PM »
They're all very nice. Good to see you back at it.

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2019, 10:49:29 PM »
Thanks Von Lucky!
My confidence took a bit of a knock after chipping so many models but enjoying it again. It is supposed to be a hobby after all!

Anyways continuing my butterfly-like ways was working on the heroine for my Indian force - copplestone mini with scythe tiger companion. Also in the works are some random terrain and doing the tracks on my soviet propaganda traktor. Complete mismash.

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2019, 10:21:25 PM »
Well done for getting back on the proverbial horse. Look forward to seeing more of your minis (and hopefully never reading another story of a horror trip).

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2019, 11:14:43 PM »
Thanks BowieFan - I've got a bit of dedicated storage space for hobby stuff so it is making access easier. Hopefully no more accidents.

Working on my Soviet Propaganda trakor unit, added tracks from a hobby boss KV1 to it. Not particularly neat so some mud and grime will need to be added to mask the joins. Below is a basic mock up to show where it is going. It is based on El Lissitzky's Lenin Tribute - a fantastic piece of early soviet design. The idea is an armour propaganda pulpit, touring the blasted landscape of the Ostfront, with Commissars audible for miles around to inspire the people to war.

I'm still not sure how to do the wheels - 3 versions below so any opinions appreciated. As you can see I'm not going for historical accuracy so whichever one looks coolest really.