Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:53:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Have any members had a really negative sale on any groups or forums?  (Read 10513 times)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: Have any members had a really negative sale on any groups or forums?
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2016, 08:39:36 AM »
Just read this post on Sepulchre of Heroes blog.

It describes the action he took (and he didn't hang around once it looked like it had gone south), but he's US based, so likely different laws over here.

I wasn't aware of his 2nd point on avoiding ways of being cheated

2- For trades you can still back it up with PAYPAL (wish I had now). Establish an agreed upon amount for the value of the models in the trade. So if it is $100, you transfer $100 to them and they do the same to you. SELECT PAYMENT FOR GOODS AND SERVICES. There may be a small charge for both of you, but consider this an insurance fee. Now if the goods never arrive or they gave you something other than you traded for, you can still file with PAYPAL and get your money back.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2016, 03:01:56 PM »
Simultaneous buying as trade insurance.  That's quite clever.

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2016, 03:11:15 PM »
Simultaneous buying as trade insurance.  That's quite clever.

I tried it awhile ago on Bartertown. Everyone refused to do it because "I was low rating and so I should trust them since they're the rules".

I still can't believe that's a rule on Bartertown, but it is.

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2016, 03:13:51 PM »
Of the three purchases I've done using paypal f&f, the first time went fine (this was also on LAF), the second didn't arrive, and the third was so badly packed the minis were damaged.

Now if f&f is asked, I will offer to pay the extra 3.4% + 20p to cover the paypal charges. If the seller doesn't accept this, then it is not about the money, but instead it's the avoidance of the seller's accountability, and I'll step away.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2016, 07:56:59 PM »
I tried it awhile ago on Bartertown. Everyone refused to do it because "I was low rating and so I should trust them since they're the rules".

I still can't believe that's a rule on Bartertown, but it is.

Low feedback ships first.

It's a rule because it works.  Folks with higher ratings have lots of successful trades, typically no negative ratings (BT has an extensive feedback system), and a reputation to protect. Thus, the newbie ships first because they haven't proven themselves yet.

On BT I'm usually fine with simultaneous trades with someone who has a 10+ trades even though I have over 70.  However if someone with just a couple trades wants to do a deal, they are shipping first.  I'm not likely to eat paypal fees on a deal with a new user when a system is already in place to keep folks honest.