Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:50:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dumpsters  (Read 3658 times)

Offline Zafarelli

• Resin Nabob
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://www.pardulon-models.com
Dumpsters
« on: January 02, 2009, 09:49:53 PM »
I used the holidays to come up with some containers to go with my industrial terrain. Built completely from sheet styrene, then molded and cast in resin. The rest of the terrain is entirely Pardulon, except for a few balsa strips.

Different setup:

Btw, what are the correct English terms for these? I used two different online dictionaries, but all differ slightly in their translations, although most seem to fit. Hmm, I never really liked semantics.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 09:31:16 PM by Zafarelli »
Resin buildings, scenery and other useful stuff: www.pardulon-models.com

Offline revford

• Mastermind
Re: Dumpsters
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 10:05:11 PM »
The open topped one is a Skip, the others can be called Hoppers if they're for storage or Bins if for rubbish.

They look great too.  :)
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 10:58:38 PM »
Call what you like. I'd call them excellent!  ;)
I don\'t know whether to be a good example or a horrible warning.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 11:13:49 PM »
Those pictures won't load for me, but I suspect the answer will be different if you are talking about English English or American English (there are many differences).

I've never heard our American cousins using the word 'skip', so I suspect they have another term. That term may well be 'dumpster'. I may be wrong.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Zafarelli

• Resin Nabob
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 11:27:14 PM »
Oh no, not again. My webspace provider reinsured me that these kinds of trouble were sorted out. Guess he was wrong. Argh. Anyway, I have uploaded the pictures in my LAF gallery, so they should be viewable now.

I have already noticed that there are slight differences between British and American English ;D Isn't there some internationally agreed upon expression? Maybe I'll just settle for "container" :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 11:38:11 PM »
Ah, I see them now. I agree with Revford. In English English the yellow one is a skip, and I would call the others bins.

There are many types of bin: Dustbin (trashcan in USA), wheelie bin, pedal bin (like you may have in your kitchen), recycle bin (both on a computer and in real life), a waste paper basket can be called a bin, you can even have bread bins.

Bin is a good word that covers lots of things. If in doubt call it a bin (in Britain, anyway).

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 12:25:46 AM »
Plynkes has it right.  At least in my area of America (speaking for the American English) we would call both of those dumpsters.

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 03:07:55 AM »
This is one of those cases of being divided by a common language.  My Scottish mother calls those things skips, which confuses everyone here, where they are known as dumpsters.  They look great, btw - just need to have the head of a dumpster diver peeking over the rim!

Offline Eisenfaust

• Scientist
  • Gamer geek, itinerant cyborg and Viking shaman
    • My blog: Dispatches from the Rim
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 07:24:31 AM »
And for publications, it's Dumpster, capitalized, as it's a trade name, like Xerox or Kleenex. :)

One of the interesting things I've run across in my career as a copy editor.

We'd most likely call them all Dumpsters in my part of America, the Southeast, although there may be a more particular name for the open-topped one in the construction/demolition trade. I'd likely call it a skip because I'm an Anglophile and watch a lot of BBC television.
dispatchesfromtherim.blogspot.com
www.brassandblood.com

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 09:14:26 PM »
Very nice bins (and a lesson in English too ;)), the yellow and green ones are my favourites but that's probably because I've never seen a design like the red one before 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Zafarelli

• Resin Nabob
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 09:38:36 PM »
Thanks for all those helpful translations!

Pil, the red one I actually saw down my street a couple of days ago. The green one is lifted straight from Fallout 3 (although it was orange in the game), and I used to empty buckets of rubble in one of those yellow ones as my sumer holiday job back at university. So they all have some sort of roots in reality  ;)

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 12:17:49 AM »
I figured the red one must have been around somewhere. just never saw one myself and of course it's always nicer to have stuff on the table you can recognise (that's how I feel anyway ;)). Anyway, a great effort. Are you going to make many more and will you sell them or is it too much trouble?

Offline Zafarelli

• Resin Nabob
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 09:01:45 PM »
As it is, I just released them at Pardulon, which I own, and shamelessly plug around here all the time :o. Well, commercial over, back to your regularly scheduled discussion of little lead men ;)

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 08:42:37 AM »
Ah, didn't know that, thanks for the info :) It might be interesting to release them as sets with 3 identical bins as well 8)

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 10:38:28 PM »
Dont forget that they can be mounted on small uni directional wheels, though in the construction buisness, the Open topped one can be mounted on the front end of a fork lift and trip line roll dumped, we called them Front Dumpers in that capacity.
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!