Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:04:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 2nd Afghan War: UD 14/12 completed village (15 images)  (Read 40726 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Thanks  :)

Entirely from Perry Plastics, 3 mounted 9th Lancers, plus dismounted alternates with loose horses. They still need tidying and GS work but these are the basic assemblies. Most of the parts are from a sprue of British Napoleonic Light Dragoons and a command sprue from the Colonial British Infantry. The lances are from the Zouave command. The carbines are shortened Martini Henrys from the Colonial Brit sprue and from the Sudan Ansar sprue. GS work will include smoothing over the helmets without covers, adding pouches, remaking knapsacks, etc.

Edit: research thread
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=90344.0

I also assembled another 12 Afghans, 5 from the Zoauves and 7 from Ansar.

Edit for completeness: The Ansar are bulkier and taller than the Zouaves. The British are the same height as the Ansar but slimmer. The Ansar's Martini Henrys are over-sized compared to the better British versions. The two sprues used to make the mounted and dismounted lancers provided everything for the mounted variants except the lances (though I saved time by using parts of spare rifles for what will become the carbine holsters and some infantry sword scabbards rather than straightening those for the Napoleonic cavalry sabres). For the dismounted versions, the major issue was carbines and suitable arms: I had to convert these from parts in the spares box as only the one rifle comes with the British command sprue.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:31:05 AM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Very nicely done, Silent Invader!  I'm excited to see how they look after you slap on some GS to fill in the gaps and smooth out the cracks, so to speak!  For some time I've wanted to find a way to scratchbuild a unit of the 9th Lancers dressed in the double-breasted quilted cold-weather jackets their Colonel had tailor-made for the campaign.  After seeing your work on these, maybe I'll attempt to attempt to do so.  Probably the best way to go would be use British Colonial Lancers from any manufacturer and just add some GS to their tunics tolengthen them a bit and add the cross-hatched quilting, but I'll also have a look at the various Perry plastic cavalry boxes and see if anything might lend itself to the process.  It's not like I don't have enough to do already... but thanks nonetheless for the inspiration!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 08:48:00 AM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Thanks! I also like the quilted jackets but I'm assuming hot and dry for my game.

I have one more lancer that I'm in the middle of assembling, plus 4 Afghan cavalry made from the sprue spares atop Perry WotR plastic horses.

Btw, I realise I could save a lot of time etc if I bought some of the available metals but I've set myself the challenge of this being an all plastic project.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Finished basic assembly of the 4 Afghan Cavalry

And versus the fourth British Lancer, for comparison:

I've now done the basic assembly on all the minis for this project, which comprise

BRITISH

12 X foot with rifles
4 X mounted with lances (plus loose horses and dismounted alternates with carbines)
16 TOTAL

AFGHAN

24 X foot with rifles
12 X foot with swords
4 X mounted with swords (plus loose horses and dismounted alternates with swords
40 TOTAL

So that's 56 minis (plus 8 loose horses and 8 dismounted alternates)

Next up is the GS work.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Great stuff mate, although it looks like a couple of the head are a little too tall on the bodies?

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Great stuff mate, although it looks like a couple of the head are a little too tall on the bodies?

cheers

James

Which ones you thinking of James?

It's possible as I've mated non-standard necks and sockets, though for the British I tried to match the chin/collar clearance of the bog-standard 'as is' infantry. Quite a few of the Afghans were Ansar so have naked upper torsos that will be clothed.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
This page, second picture down, on the left and fourth picture, chap on the right firing his rifle.

cheers

James

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Thanks - scalpel is at the ready!  :D

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Tnspired work on the lancers, they look very convincing indeed. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Tnspired work on the lancers, they look very convincing indeed. :)

Ta  :D

I've wanted a unit of lancers for some time, in fact ever since that game at yours where ignorant-me (who knew nothing about lancers) left a loose group of my Texans in a lane between buildings only to see them run down (and through) by the Mexican lances. Lesson learned!  If you've seen the game board for this project you'll notice that the layout has lanes between buildings......

Anyways, I'm endeavouring to resist the plastic crack addiction and not make any more Afghan cavalry ..... I have parts but not enough for a full unit, and odd-and-sods of minis just mess with my head ..... :o

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Anyways, I'm endeavouring to resist the plastic crack addiction and not make any more Afghan cavalry ..... I have parts but not enough for a full unit, and odd-and-sods of minis just mess with my head ..... :o

lol lol I soooo know what you mean... We need to start a therapy group modelled on Alcoholics Anonymous...

The Afghan cavalry look superb already, Steve. Can't wait to see this lot once you've worked your Green Stuff magic on them. Ingenious and, I'm sure, gorgeous once they're complete.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
 lol. Oh yes. My name is Silent Invader and I am a Plastic Crack Addict.

Forgot to mention, for the Afghan cavalry I needed to pull the left arms wide, to accommodate the shields. I used drum arms (from the ACW Zouaves and the British Colonial Infantry) with the drumstick forming the basis of what will be an extension of the reins. That would have been much, much harder to do in metal.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: 2nd Afghan War: UD 15/7 progressing the GS work (plastic wip)
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2016, 12:40:14 PM »
About half way there with the first push of GS

56 foot
8 mounted
8 loose horse

On the plus side, have finished the board and the rules

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2016, 02:43:36 PM »
Impressive as always  :D

cheers

James

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2016, 07:57:57 AM »
Awesome work.  ;D