Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:45:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686599
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Skips :)  (Read 1820 times)

Offline FM

• Student
Skips :)
« on: January 03, 2009, 09:53:49 AM »
I noticed the topic by Zafarelli in which he showed some skips/dumpsters/bins/... he made.
I too made a couple of skips some time ago. They are not as detailed as those by zafarelli, but they were extremely easy to make. I just used a block of foam and glued plastic card (or actually old membership cards) sides on it.

Thought it would be a nice alternative for those of us who are not as good or patient with resin.

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
Re: Skips :)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 11:13:40 AM »
Nice work! Like the second one, very political!

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 01:09:14 PM »
I noticed the topic by Zafarelli in which he showed some skips/dumpsters/bins/... he made.
I too made a couple of skips some time ago. They are not as detailed as those by zafarelli, but they were extremely easy to make. I just used a block of foam and glued plastic card (or actually old membership cards) sides on it.

Thought it would be a nice alternative for those of us who are not as good or patient with resin.

Hey FM,

Any chance you can enlighten us some more by chance on yor technique?  :-)

Grimm

Offline Zafarelli

• Resin Nabob
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://www.pardulon-models.com
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »
Nice work! I like that they are filled with different things, always difficult to achieve that with castings like my own. That's why I made the skip (as opposed to the other two lol)
Resin buildings, scenery and other useful stuff: www.pardulon-models.com

Offline Yggdrasil

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 03:55:47 PM »
Wow, they look fantastic!  :o
Nice work!

Offline FM

• Student
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 06:26:05 PM »
@Zafarelli: The downside of my skips is that you have to fill them with stuff; empty they look unfinished.

@Grimmnar: Prepare to be enlightened!  ;)

As with any recipe lets start with the ingredients:
You will need plastic card, hard foam, glue, stuff to fill the containers with and a dremel multi tool.

Now start by cutting out four sides for the skip (I used a sharp pair of scissors), you will not need a bottom or a top, just two sides, a front and a rear. The good thing is that if you want to make multiple skips you can just use one side as a template so you won't have to measure everything over and over again.

These obviously aren't all the parts you need, just the templates I managed to find again.

Next you roughly cut a peace of foam to shape. Make sure the height of the foam is smaller than the sides.

Glue the plastic sides to the foam (I used Bison topspeed glue)

When this is dry you add some details. I do not have pictures of this, but you will need a good amount of small strips of plastic card (I cut strips with a width of aproximately half a centimeter, a.k.a. a small fraction of an inch...) Simply glue these to the skip (see my first post)

When everything's dry again, use a Dremel tool to grind all the side down, so you get an even surface, especially the top of the sides (hope you get what I mean here) need to be even.

A last important step is to fill the containers. Just pour in a lot of glue and put stuff in it. Stuff can be anything. I e.g. used stones, model car bits, zombie dogs and sand from a beach in france...

Let it dry again, than undercoat them and paint them however you like.

Thats it!

One last suggestion, if you are going to make them, make more than one. They look better in multiples and the more you make of them, the less work/time each of them takes.

And this technique also works for other containers, e.g this small sea container:

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 07:16:40 PM »
Nice and clever,, i know what i'll be making in the morning :)